Why don't Chinese companies hire native English speakers to write for them?

funny-chinese-sign-translation-fails-1.jpg

This sounds good:
c1a37b7251dfd4f03ca189a2e84997d9.jpg

LOL.

That's how their products stay cheap on Amazon. You get the savings!

I deal with Chinese companies all the time and their English isn't so bad when they're not making signs or naming toys. The spelling isn't too bad, but they're ridiculously polite, friendly and sincere to the point where it's difficult to say no to them. The South Park guys were onto something there. No wonder they're taking over the world.
what season of south park ?

I'm triggered so yes.

It's very possible that after expending a few months studying in Toronto or Vancouver that they believe they have excellent communication skills. Perfect Engrish.
I believe its japanese who cant pronounce r's. not chinese.

I worked for a Taiwanese tech company some time back, was a job I was not qualifed for but got the gig mainly because I'm a white Aussie who could talk to contractors. They do know they need that local presence to win business, doesn't always work but there's no way some Asian dude will do well selling to contractors, it's just reality.

A native English speaker would diminish value by eliminating unintentional humor of Engrish.

So, China is pretty much taking over tech these days. Yet, for almost every Chinese product on Amazon, as an example, the product descriptions in English sound like a three year old wrote it. It's written in broken English. Also, when you buy a Chinese product and read the instructions, it's sometimes incomprehensible. Why don't they just hire native English speakers to write this stuff?

And, yes, I realize it has to be translated at some moment of time, but they could give the English speaker a rough draft first, and then he can translate it to actual English.

They even do it on their public signs:

English words present *CHECK*
Money saved from finding a translator *CHECK*
Bosses get what he wants *CHECK*
If there're any complaints, just blame Baidu Translate *CHECK*
Money saved goes to buying their next baijiu *CHECK*
Everybody's happy and drunk *CHECK* (except the foreigners, but who gives a shit about them)

Back