Why don't Chinese companies hire native English speakers to write for them?

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So, China is pretty much taking over tech these days. Yet, for almost every Chinese product on Amazon, as an example, the product descriptions in English sound like a three year old wrote it. It's written in broken English. Also, when you buy a Chinese product and read the instructions, it's sometimes incomprehensible. Why don't they just hire native English speakers to write this stuff?

And, yes, I realize it has to be translated at some moment of time, but they could give the English speaker a rough draft first, and then he can translate it to actual English.

They even do it on their public signs:

DayTranslations-Mistranslations-LooseDriedFruit.jpg

funny-chinese-sign-translation-fails-13.jpg

Suggesting the hiring of native English speakers for this purpose has to be racist somehow, right?

I deal with Chinese companies all the time and their English isn't so bad when they're not making signs or naming toys. The spelling isn't too bad, but they're ridiculously polite, friendly and sincere to the point where it's difficult to say no to them. The South Park guys were onto something there. No wonder they're taking over the world.

There's actually not that many people that speak Chinese and English.

Also, Chinese prefer to do business face to face, so even if you do speak both languages, unless you live near the company, they probably won't hire you.

Which is a shame because it seems like the perfect work-at-home job. Just sit in front of your computer in the USA, translating instructions and emailing them back to your Chinese clients.

I've often wondered why companies don't have the end users read the instruction manuals and point out the mistakes or different terminology. This goes for every language. Too often the manuals are written by people who don't have a clue what they are trying to explain.

So, China is pretty much taking over tech these days. Yet, for almost every Chinese product on Amazon, as an example, the product descriptions in English sound like a three year old wrote it. It's written in broken English. Also, when you buy a Chinese product and read the instructions, it's sometimes incomprehensible. Why don't they just hire native English speakers to write this stuff?

And, yes, I realize it has to be translated at some moment of time, but they could give the English speaker a rough draft first, and then he can translate it to actual English.

Why don't Chinese companies hire native English speakers to write for them?

1) Because they don't care enough from a business standpoint. 99% of their business is Chinese.
2) Because they hire Chinese PhDs and Chinese English teachers to help them when they think they need help. They assume that these hired hands are competent at English. Often they aren't.
3) Because they think they can do the job themselves as sometimes it's only a matter of putting a couple of words together. How hard can that be. 4) Because it's China and they don't really care much about Western culture even though at some level they feel they're supposed to. 5) Because hiring a native speaker of English to do simple things like proofreading signs would be a loss of face. It would suggest that they are incompetent in English, and they are not about to admit that.

Last edited:
I deal with Chinese companies all the time and their English isn't so bad when they're not making signs or naming toys. The spelling isn't too bad, but they're ridiculously polite, friendly and sincere to the point where it's difficult to say no to them. The South Park guys were onto something there. No wonder they're taking over the world.

Lmao

Suggesting the hiring of native English speakers for this purpose has to be racist somehow, right?
I'm triggered so yes.

It's very possible that after expending a few months studying in Toronto or Vancouver that they believe they have excellent communication skills. Perfect Engrish.

What Chinatown is this in? And it may be a humourous marketing ploy. Rike if they sperred arr the words with the retter "L" with an "R" instead.

South Park did not really portray Lu Kim as a polite, friendly or sincere individual though. In fact he is rather blunt, and crude.

Lol @ Cock Zero whoever that is

South Park did not really portray Lu Kim as a polite, friendly or sincere individual though. In fact he is rather blunt, and crude.

I'm not a huge South Park fan. I just remember the Chinese could make you do anything by complimenting your penis. I'm not Chinese and every time I compliment some dudes dick I get the shit kicked out of me. It's like a Chinese racial power

they dont know where to look. you should start a business connecting english speakers with chinese companies, there is a real need for this. also chinese speakers for english speaking companies. you can make a ton of money bro, do it.

I'm not a huge South Park fan. I just remember the Chinese could make you do anything by complimenting your penis. I'm not Chinese and every time I compliment some dudes dick I get the shit kicked out of me. It's like a Chinese racial power
they were actually Japanese . .
<{nope}>

Back