Why don’t we see half Nelson in mma/bjj?

muaytao

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Jw why don’t we see this technique? From half Nelson you can get to side control then attack from there. Any wrestler turn mma explain to me?

Most guys will prefer to just punch you in the head (with a wrist ride) from there.

Last edited:
Simple. People just don't have the idea of doing it. Ronda Rouseys mommy wrote a book titled "Winning on the Ground" and the first thing it tells you to do is to learn a Half Nelson and to use it if you know it already.

Most guys will prefer to just punch you in the head (with a wrist ride) from there.
Yeah that will either make them stand or roll to guard. Depends on how strong and fresh they are. I love to ride people but I would love to be able to turn them. That stuff is not taught in bjj

i think should be used more to get guys put on there back a lot of guys are punch happy theyd rather get a wrist and try to tee off with there free hand but you only get a few shot still the guy stands up i see that every fight nowadays a guy will turtle after a takedown the guy gets his tight waist or far wrist and tries to hit and guy just stands up

In MMA it isn't used because it's easier to TKO someone from a heavy ride against turtle than from top side control. In BJJ/sub grappling it's rarely used because: in gi you get no points for turning someone to side control from turtle (a flaw in the rules, I feel that should be 3). In no-gi/no-points it's both really hard to hold someone in side control while working to submit them, AND your'e closer to their back (one of the few reliable dead zones in no-gi) when they're turtled, so why move them to a place of greater relative safety?

Yeah that will either make them stand or roll to guard. Depends on how strong and fresh they are.

nope. You're just not doing It right.

People can freely turtle and clam up which makes a half basically impossible. In wrestling, this is illegal and you have to open up, which makes half nelsons way more viable. In addition, there are no back points in bjj or mma, which means the way you defend with a base is much different. Basing out with your arms opens up nelsons, the ability to just roll to guard or invert freely makes basing out a terrible option because strangling and striking is legal in bjj/mma

In MMA it isn't used because it's easier to TKO someone from a heavy ride against turtle than from top side control. In BJJ/sub grappling it's rarely used because: in gi you get no points for turning someone to side control from turtle (a flaw in the rules, I feel that should be 3). In no-gi/no-points it's both really hard to hold someone in side control while working to submit them, AND your'e closer to their back (one of the few reliable dead zones in no-gi) when they're turtled, so why move them to a place of greater relative safety?

nope. You're just not doing It right.

I’m no askren but I don’t think it’s as easy as you make it seem. I’m telling you it’s very hard without a strength advantage to stop the stand up. I don’t think fighting’s posts with inside wrists, cross wrists, spiral rides, and riding with the crossbody position etc is that easy against a strong opponent.

i think should be used more to get guys put on there back a lot of guys are punch happy theyd rather get a wrist and try to tee off with there free hand but you only get a few shot still the guy stands up i see that every fight nowadays a guy will turtle after a takedown the guy gets his tight waist or far wrist and tries to hit and guy just stands up
Only if you suck at top pressure

I love half nelsons, I use them all the time in judo/bjj. They are very useful.

i see so many mma wrestlers do this though its strange they work thta ahrd for a takedown to just
Only if you suck at top pressure
get a tight waist and throw punches for the guy to then stand up on them losing everything they worked for why do you think that is

only a few guys really work to break guys down that iv seen obviously the askrens khabibs do you think its juts there bad strategy or them in the heat of the moment wanting to try to do damage?

the hardest thing facing grapplers today is being able to keep the fight to the ground i would think working that would be the number 1 thing knowing as long as i can stay on top im going to win the fight as long as i don't get submitted

i see so many mma wrestlers do this though its strange they work thta ahrd for a takedown to just

get a tight waist and throw punches for the guy to then stand up on them losing everything they worked for why do you think that is

only a few guys really work to break guys down that iv seen obviously the askrens khabibs do you think its juts there bad strategy or them in the heat of the moment wanting to try to do damage?

the hardest thing facing grapplers today is being able to keep the fight to the ground i would think working that would be the number 1 thing knowing as long as i can stay on top im going to win the fight as long as i don't get submitted
Both of them get the opponent broken down which requires top pressure. I’m the Micheal Johnson fight. Every time Johnson build up. Khabib went 2 on 1. Re broke him down flat. Then went back to a single wrist to start hitting again. Askren keeps their weight on their hands. Again, crappy top pressure is why most are able to stand up.

The reason most don’t work to break people down as much is that they watch a couple bjjscout videos but barely actually wrestle folkstyle to learn the feel for it and technique. And additionally the chance to put weight on a guy, pop him in the face a few times and make them work way harder than you to get out. Makes them escaping not as big a deal as it’s made out to be

Royler Gracie used to use some cool half nelson stuff from the back in the early adccs.

Overeem used a half to kill Kharitonov:

I'm actually more surprised we don't see more full nelsons in MMA. They're not illegal and you can get a pretty good neck crank out of it. I remember Chael saying something that I liked. Something like "learn all the illegal moves in wrestling and then use those. They're illegal for a reason. They work and they're devastating. "

People can freely turtle and clam up which makes a half basically impossible. In wrestling, this is illegal and you have to open up, which makes half nelsons way more viable. In addition, there are no back points in bjj or mma, which means the way you defend with a base is much different. Basing out with your arms opens up nelsons, the ability to just roll to guard or invert freely makes basing out a terrible option because strangling and striking is legal in bjj/mma
Bingo, If they base out with an extended arm I am going to scoop up the arm and attack the arm bar from the back (belly down or rolling like Ronda).

Back