Why Doesn't Wrestling Have an Openweight?

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at Olympic Wrestling, Greco-Roman caps at 130kg and Freestyle caps at 125kg. But why? HW boxing doesn't have a weight limit, for example. Would getting rid of the weight limit affect the top divisions of wrestling that much?

Genuinely asking and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Im pretty sure NCAA wrestling was unlimited until 1987. But I think they want to encourage athletes to maintain a certain type of body composition. Chris Taylor was a 2x NCAA champ and Olympic medalist and he was like 400 pounds or something crazy and he lost to much smaller guys. I think the results were and would be pretty much the same if they did away with weight limits again. I mean, how much stronger can a man really be than a 270ish pound Artur Taymazov regardless of how much he weighs? Might as well have your athletes be jacked and not great big fat guys.

It would be unfair if an super heavy land whale could compete and you weren't allowed to take enough steroids to move him around.

It created super boring matches of two huge guys who just push. Its not a good look for the sport.

It created super boring matches of two huge guys who just push. Its not a good look for the sport.

Adding to this, without knowing a heck of a lot about actual wrestling technique beyond the basics, the options are limited compared to BJJ. In BJJ, rather than fight through a takedown, a guard pull to look for a sweep is still a optios

You would get matches like this.

No one wants that.

Adding to this, without knowing a heck of a lot about actual wrestling technique beyond the basics, the options are limited compared to BJJ. In BJJ, rather than fight through a takedown, a guard pull to look for a sweep is still a optios

It is, but at the heaviest classes, the guy on top normally wins.

Back