Why Doesn't the UFC Hold More Events in Miami?

Kaybee

Arianator Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The Greater Miami Area is a destination city that has a strong MMA presence with both American Top Team and Henri Hooft's Hard Knocks 365 calling the region their home. Yet, the UFC has only held events in the region 6 times, with 4 of them being in the satellite city of Hollywood and the other two being split with Miami proper and Sunrise (basically Ft. Lauderdale).

Why do you think is the reason, and do you think they should hold more events there? Would be great for fighters' travel, since like half of the UFC roster trains at ATT nowadays

This was probably the last good card you will get
220px-Miami-poster_medium.jpg

Because it is at the end of a huge peninsula, almost surrounded by water and isolated from the other big cities.

Because it is at the end of a huge peninsula, almost surrounded by water and isolated from the other big cities.
That's not even relevant in this day and age though. People can fly now, they aren't arriving in horse-driven carts to these fights. If isolated places like Sioux Falls and Boise can get events, why not Miami? There are two major arenas to choose from too, so I doubt the region is overbooked even during NBA/NHL season.

Because all the local MMA gyms want too much shine for their b level fighters. So UFC said "fuck you, your shitty city and your bitch ass underling fighters" and fucked off out of Florida forever.

And I don't blame them. Except that Colby somehow stuck...

That's not even relevant in this day and age though. People can fly now, they aren't arriving in horse-driven carts to these fights. If isolated places like Sioux Falls and Boise can get events, why not Miami? There are two major arenas to choose from too, so I doubt the region is overbooked even during NBA/NHL season.

I've only gone to 5 or 6 live UFC events but I don't know what you're on about. There were TONS of horses and carriages.... horses without carriages.... even rickshaws without horses (pulling them - some were passengers like Plat's ex-girl and others)

Yes it is, because nobody is going to drive there from other states and planes makes everything more expensive (ticket, plus having to rent a car on destination etc...).

Yes it is, because nobody is going to drive there from other states and planes makes everything more expensive (ticket, plus having to rent a car on destination etc...).
But the UFC holds 10 billion events in Las Vegas and has no issues with people getting there despite it being an isolated city.

Have you heard about the people from Florida?
It is a 100% guaranteed fact that someone from the crowd would try to jump into the cage, a hillbilly would buy a ticket for his pet alligator and a buncha teenage moms would start a drunken rumble before the prelims even started

But the UFC holds 10 billion events in Las Vegas and has no issues with people getting there despite it being an isolated city.

WTF, Vegas is like four hours by car from the second largest city in the US.

They are based out of Las Vegas, kinda makes sense to hold fights there. Plus vegas is fight capitol of the US.

Holy shit, people can fly now.

Have you heard about the people from Florida?
It is a 100% guaranteed fact that someone from the crowd would try to jump into the cage, a hillbilly would buy a ticket for his pet alligator and a buncha teenage moms would start a drunken rumble before the prelims even started
A hillbilly in Miami.......
Yea I can tell you never been in the 305

The Greater Miami Area is a destination city that has a strong MMA presence with both American Top Team and Henri Hooft's Hard Knocks 365 calling the region their home. Yet, the UFC has only held events in the region 6 times, with 4 of them being in the satellite city of Hollywood and the other two being split with Miami proper and Sunrise (basically Ft. Lauderdale).

Why do you think is the reason, and do you think they should hold more events there? Would be great for fighters' travel, since like half of the UFC roster trains at ATT nowadays
because we have a very big regional scene there's really no need for them to come here directly they come to Florida once a year anyway.
I drove to UFC Tampa (the one with khabib vs Tony that got cancelled)
The UFC usually comes around winter time, last one was in Orlando.

Miami to Florida is only a couple hours there isn't much to complain about imo, live UFC events aren't as good as watching them at home in my opinion

Back