Why does Tim Duncan often get overlooked as the best player post-MJ era?

Lmao @ the cans that don't take into count pop's tutelage when looking back at duCans career. Just look at what pop's done for Kiwi? He would be a Harrison Barnes type player without Pop.

Its always Lebron or Kobe. Shaq's name gets thrown in the mix occasionally. I mean TD wasn't as dominant as these players offensively but he's probably the best two-way player out of all of them. I always hear "boring" but that shouldn't be a criteria when it comes to ranking greatness. Look at these major accomplishments:

5 rings
2 MVP's
3 Finals MVP's

Very few if not none are as decorated as him since Michael Jordan retired as a Bull.
He was never a leader. He never even had to talk. He was basically the greatest role player in NBA history. Robert Horry said Olajuwon is 20 times better than him, and he played with both. That doesn't sound like someone that is the best of an era.

He was never a leader. He never even had to talk. He was basically the greatest role player in NBA history. Robert Horry said Olajuwon is 20 times better than him, and he played with both. That doesn't sound like someone that is the best of an era.

tbf anybody ive ever heard who played with Hakeem and practiced with him regularly says he is the GOAT of skill.

Duncan was the man greatest PF of all-time and top 10 GOAT however since 2000's give me Shaq, Kobe, and Lebron over him.

People who don't understand the game, and the subtle things that win games, prefer watching circus shots, flashy/unnecessary ball handling, breakaway dunks, endless parade of trays, and one-on-one style play. Timmeh is the antithesis of that. He simply goes out and does the things that are conducive to winning championships. That, combined with his even keel demeanor, make him hard to market for the league, who really are only concerned with profits.

Also, ever since MJ retired, the league has been trying to push wingmen as his heir, i.e. cash cow. They pushed Vince, Kobe, McGrady, Mello, Wade, Lebron, etc. They also basically abolished the dominant post presence. Even true PG's have become. Everyone just plays like a 2/3, and simple but effective play has been the wayside. In short, what you see today is glorified And1, with really high-end athletes.
This, this, this, this, and fucking this.

Necroed post standing the goddamn test of time.

Prime Shaq was the best player I saw post Jordan. Duncan however had a much longer prime, was more consistent and well rounded, and took care of himself.

Duncan gets overlooked because he was fundamental and played in San Antonio. I remember people used to argue KG was better than Duncan just cause KG was flashy and Duncan wasn't. Meanwhile Duncan kept winning titles and showing up when the games meant the most unlike KG.

The man got two technicals and ejected once for laughing while on the bench.

Tim Duncan is Tom Brady if Tom Brady were actually talented

many different reasons:

- he wasn't as dominant as other greats
- play in a good system
- play in a era without other dominant bigs

he was solid 2 way player that benefited from being drafted in a good organization like the spurs with coach pop and david robinson.

he had 4 40 point and 36 30 points games in 251 playoffs games

in comparison

shaq had 12 40 point and 55 30 point games in 216 playoff games

lebron had 28 40 point and 118 30 point games in 266 playoff games

kobe had 13 40 point and 88 30 point games in 220 playoffs game

you put duncan in 90s era and hes just another good big amogst other good bigs

many different reasons:

- he wasn't as dominant as other greats
- play in a good system
- play in a era without other dominant bigs

he was solid 2 way player that benefited from being drafted in a good organization like the spurs with coach pop and david robinson.

he had 4 40 point and 36 30 points games in 251 playoffs games

in comparison

shaq had 12 40 point and 55 30 point games in 216 playoff games

lebron had 28 40 point and 118 30 point games in 266 playoff games

kobe had 13 40 point and 88 30 point games in 220 playoffs game

you put duncan in 90s era and hes just another good big amogst other good bigs

Although I’d strongly disagree with the ridiculous last statement the numbers make it pretty easy to separate Shaq, Kobe and Lefag. Good post

This, this, this, this, and fucking this.

Necroed post standing the goddamn test of time.
Bank shots and head fakes instead of behind the back and dunks, but the man put up 19 pt 11 reb and 3 assists over 18 seasons after doing all four years at college so he didn't come to the league at age 19. That's pretty damn healthy career in my opinion.

The man got two technicals and ejected once for laughing while on the bench.

Joe Crawford the ref, got kicked out of the league for the rest of the season and playoffs over this. Sounds like he went a little bit Eric Cartman on Timmy....

Prime Shaq was the best player I saw post Jordan. Duncan however had a much longer prime, was more consistent and well rounded, and took care of himself.

Duncan gets overlooked because he was fundamental and played in San Antonio. I remember people used to argue KG was better than Duncan just cause KG was flashy and Duncan wasn't. Meanwhile Duncan kept winning titles and showing up when the games meant the most unlike KG.
True, and KG wasn't as great as Duncan, but KG is right beside Duncan is being the least appreciated superstar of his era. How different life might have been if he was in L.A.

Compare KG and Kobe. Kobe fit that wingman profile marketed so fervently by the NBA that @gspieler mentioned, played in silver spoon L.A., was a volume scorer, and so he was showered with all the love. It didn't help that KG was an asshole, but so was Kobe. If KG had been in L.A. with Shaq, the rigged whistles, and the piles of cash instead of the ice bums he would have been the one with 5 rings.

Compare the Laker's glory years. Kobe scores a bit more with roughly equal efficiency, but pulls fewer than half the rebounds, dishes equal assists despite that he's a guard with a higher usage, LOL, notches 1/3rd the blocks, picks about the same number of pockets, turns the ball over more, fouls more, isn't a DPOY vote leader every year, and is worse in every major advanced metric (Win Shares, BPM, VORP):
KG vs. Kobe (1999-2004)

Now go ahead and look at the three years following that, before KG moved to Boston, and before Kobe got Pau. The hard carry years for each. Kobe scores yet more, while everything else remains the same, but not strapped to Shaq's back, playing like any other superstar in a small market, which is what Garnett did his whole career before moving to Boston, what's the key difference? No more rings. He puts up 111 wins in LA while KG puts up 109 in Minnesota.
KG vs. Kobe (2005-2007)

There's no reason to believe that Kobe wouldn't have been equally obscure if in KG's shoes during his early career. Everybody was so desperate for there to be a Michael 2.0, because Kobe stylistically was the closest thing, it didn't matter that Kobe was no Jordan. It's no different than feudal kings and their sons. It doesn't matter if the prince can't fill his dad's crown. He's gonna wear it, anyway.

lmao because he's a geek who was a product of the pop tutelage.

He's a journeyman without the pop tutelage.

Although I’d strongly disagree with the ridiculous last statement the numbers make it pretty easy to separate Shaq, Kobe and Lefag. Good post

if he came in the league in the early 90s and wasn't selected by spurs he plays center.

thats means league with: shaq, olajuwon, robinson, ewing, mourning, mutombo...

so you could make argument he would be 5th best center in the league. that means less all nba team selections, less all star game selections and considering it was jordan era = less rings as well.

People don't recognize non-highlight efficiency and defense. Tim was better than Kobe, Hakeem, and Shaq. Prime Lebron was better than all.

Back