Why does shogun?

Shogun isn't fast enough and doesn't employ his ground game enough to have any more success at 185.

PS: He just lost to a 185er horribly.

Are there any examples of elite fighters that dropped a weight-class late in their career and were a huge succes? People always bring this shit up when legends are fading, but I legitimately can't think of a single one
Because
" People" in this case = a bunch of anonymous 93 IQ having non athletes with uninformed and irrelevant opinions.

The arbitrary musings of random dumb fucks never has and never will be of any value.

I guess..eaty kept matt serra out of LW..so that could explain it
If there were one of those lame hang out with a ufc fighter type things where Dana gets to be a narcissist, I’d pick Matt Serra and just be like “Food. Let’s go.”.

If Shogun had started his career in the last 5 years or so he probably would have been at 185lbs but when he started that was the poor mans division, 205lbs is where the money and fame was.

By the time that changed I suspect he was physically too damaged to make the cut easier and perhaps just not willing to do it when he was still main eventing cards?

When Shogun started in MMA there was no real glory to fighting at 185lbs. The weight class was typically perceived as very weak. No real top guys wanted to fight there who could make 205lbs. And lets be real, most 185lb fighters are 205lb division rejects.

HW and LHW got most of the glory and WW/LW were seen as the best of the Manlet divisions who could not compete at 205lbs.

That is why when Anderson first started building his resume at 185lbs the UFC could not sell the division nor him as Champ. It was only once Anderson's dominant run became unavoidable and the UFC really started to push him P4P and in GOAT talks that finally MW got some respect.

Back