why does sage suck?

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
with all the years of training since he was young. how does he manage to fuck up so much?

with all the years of training since he was young. how does he manage to fuck up so much?
I dont think he sucks. He was doing well on the feet until he got clipped. His jiujitsu is his main problem. Plus he's only 20 dude. If he had 4 more years of solid mma training he'd be fine.

If he was left out of the UFC's uncomfortable spotlight and could focus on improving without so many eyes on him, I wonder if he could settle in and develop better. He and PVZ seem to be rushed along but their skills aren't coming along fast enough. Frankly, skills take time. I think Sage fizzles out. Too much hype, not enough craft as they are bringing him along, he's not some hidden savant of the sport that the UFC found, he was an image that Dana White's personal show "Looking for an Excuse to Jackass around in front of a camera to appeal to my own ego", had found and he truly believed he struck gold. The kid is young and probably not going to ever fulfill the expectations bestowed on him.

Well what does he have aside obviously superior athleticism ? Why are people even talking about him ?

I really don't think that anything indicates that he may be a superior fighter one day.

Fighting's not all about being athletic and training since a young age. Much of it is mental, and that seems to be Sage's biggest problem. Very few people are suited to full contact cagefighting.

Because when you smile like that the universe will conspire to knock it off your face
121115-ufc-sage-northcutt-pi-dp.vresize.1200.675.high.12.jpg

He got fast tracked because of his appearance and likeability but his skills aren't there yet.
Not only he needs to work on his grappling but also on his boxing, he shows a clear lack of fundamentals in some instances.

80 % of his toolkit are filled with technique that are used for demos and shows.

Thats why.

Because he has an overbearing father who stifles the input of far superior coaches.

Id say it mostly comes down to intelligence in training and ego.

Ive heard Sage mostly just muscles everything on the ground because he can. No real room for technique development if you cant handle being the guy rolling at less than 100% but getting tapped often

Because if he asked me out on a date I'd probably go.

80 % of his toolkit are filled with technique that are used for demos and shows.

Thats why.

- I like Sage. But i thought that myself. He used to compete in Extreme martial arts. Probably his training background is very different of a more traditional school.

To T.s, He doesn`t has nothing in common what GSP, GSP is a kyokushin based fighter, dude used to be a demolition machine on the beginning of his career, i don`t even know what Sage karate style is, probably focused on shown and that`s is hurting Sage now, when he tries to pick something on his arsenal whatever this weapon is, i bet he has spend more time trying to hit a Pad hanging 9 feet`s n the air, than hitting people. He is young, should take a time of Mma and develops.

Because front flips, obsessive fathers, and bad jiu jitsu are not a winning formula.

If he was left out of the UFC's uncomfortable spotlight and could focus on improving without so many eyes on him, I wonder if he could settle in and develop better. He and PVZ seem to be rushed along but their skills aren't coming along fast enough. Frankly, skills take time. I think Sage fizzles out. Too much hype, not enough craft as they are bringing him along, he's not some hidden savant of the sport that the UFC found, he was an image that Dana White's personal show "Looking for an Excuse to Jackass around in front of a camera to appeal to my own ego", had found and he truly believed he struck gold. The kid is young and probably not going to ever fulfill the expectations bestowed on him.

I don't see much potential with PVZ. She seems all physical and force and only real skill in the clinch with little else. She doesn't seem to improve technically either whether it's her camp and her unwillingness to learn new things or just her limitations.

Sage on the other hand doesn't suck in my opinion.
He is 21. He's young regardles sof time trained. he also hasn't trained MMA his entire life maybe he has trained single elemtns but he even today doesn't have a real camp and I think he did little to no sparring for a very long time. You could say that's an issue and it is but it also means that he is still fresh and healthy and that he has a ton of room to improve.

He looked better than ever vs Gall but Gall is a good and apparently very tough fighter himself. Gall is alsoa promising prospect. I think the Sage form the Gall fight beats Barbarena.

His grappling and TDD has imrpoved but it still needs work he was at least able to negatve damage on the ground thsi time and was hard to take down but he still seems a bit passive when he's on his back. And on the feet his boxing seems to be lacking the most. He lacks boxing fundamentals and while he did for most of the fight beat Gall with both hands and feet his boxing seems to rely a lot on athleticism and natural instincts with not a lot of fundamentals to fall back on.

Hopefully he doesn't get rushed and finally joins an elite camp full time. Blackzillians would be good for him stylistically and they concentrate on areas of striking he lacks the most but not sure if the hard sparring they have at this age would be good for his longevity

He doesn't suck. He holds wins in the UFC over some okay opposition... and lets not forget that Mickey Gall is actually a very legit fighter with a lot of experience on the ground that we didn't know about until shortly before fighting Punk.

The issue with Sage is that he isn't sticking with one coach... and opted to not stay with Tristar which was a real mistake, that and not being able to stick to one weight division is probably causing him problems. He's not a bad fighter, he is very skilled and very decorated outside of MMA, but at this point in his MMA career with the UFC putting so much attention on him, it's likely led to some of his bad early career decisions.

Because he does karate

I'll take the bait, though karate isn't a style I find appealing, it's effective. Lyoto Machida made it into the UFC and became a champion with it, Andy Hug became one of the greatest with it, and GSP has used some of his karate training to great effect in the UFC.

But I will agree, that karate... like tae kwon do, are styles that need to be supplemented with boxing or muay thai. Is muay thai GENERALLY better than them? Sure. But useless? Absolutely not.

He got fast tracked because of his appearance and likeability but his skills aren't there yet.
Not only he needs to work on his grappling but also on his boxing, he shows a clear lack of fundamentals in some instances.

I got alot of shit for mentioning that his good looks are the main reason people talk about him.

And I'm not even saying that in a hateful or jealous way. It was just a truthful observation. Obviously the guy can fight and is a great martial artist like ANYONE in the UFC, but none the less, he hasn't done what other fighters typically need to do, to start garnering the attention he already has.

Back