Why does it seem like everyone from artofjiujitsu is so good? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dana_is_your_GOD, Sep 1, 2017.

1. nefti Red Belt

nefti

Is it true that multiple students at the school needed neck surgery?

2. Toothless King Brown Belt

Toothless King
    shavedhead.jpg

you can have whatever hair style you want at AOJ. The only students have to adhere to AOJ's hair/facial grooming standards are the coaches a.k.a. employees

TheGZA likes this.
  3. TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

TheGZA
    :eek:

4. Toothless King Brown Belt

Toothless King
    most of the full-time guys at AOJ live in a 1-bedroom apartment share with 10 other AOJ guys and they ride their bicycles to the gym. most of them also work for AOJ

vodkaBearSnow, mataleaos and TheGZA like this.
  5. EGDM Blue Belt

EGDM
    I've trained at big gyms (Alliance HQ, Cobrinha's). They were cordial and exercised the normal social niceties to visitors and new students. At least when I showed up at AOJ, for a seminar specifically open to the public, it felt like I'd accidentally walked into someone else's private club.

As I said, it wasn't a huge deal and YMMV. The instruction was great and I don't regret going. It just left me wondering why you'd invite the public if you were going to be indifferent to them.

vodkaBearSnow and mataleaos like this.
  6. jct White Belt

jct
    Was that his reddit ama? If so, I'm pretty sure he was joking. He also talked about mean mugging the miyaos.

Rebelfett likes this.
  7. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    It wasn't an AMA, I'm pretty sure he wasn't joking. The question was along the lines of 'did you get tuned up' and his response was that they didn't post the video, implying he did well.

8. kying418 Blue Belt

kying418
    I think it's ironic that despite their love to quote the bible and talk about their Christian faith they get tons of criticism for being standoffish, unfriendly, selective with their rolling videos, etc.

- kinda like other BJJ Christians that get popped for roids, or are heavily suspected of using them

(PS- I'm also a Christian)

Rebelfett and vodkaBearSnow like this.
  9. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    Rener.jpg

mataleaos likes this.
  10. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Fellow Christian here as well. While I can see how it might be ironic from one perspective, consider it from another:

The irony in question here is that we are assuming that these guys are flaunting their faith publicly to provide cover for massive ego and selfishness. That would not be a very Christian thing to do, right?

But what if they are just naturally asocial, introverted people? Some people are born that way. They might not make great pastors, but there still should be room for introverts in Christianity.

And what if rather than using their faith to provide cover for selfish actions, they are actually using their faith as a constant reminder to try to improve upon a natural selfishness and vanity that they struggle with? What if they actually pray and try to use faith as a way to be less selfish, and what you are seeing currently is that improved version?

I mean this does not seem too far fetched to me. I think it's an established fact that both brothers have extraordinary jiu jitsu talent. Are they arrogant about it? I think it's reasonable to believe that sometimes they probably are given their talent.

That being said, there are guys out there in BJJ with lesser talent that are far more arrogant -- openly and unabashedly so. They are so arrogant that it has become part of their persona, particularly on social media.

What if the Mendes brothers are using their faith as a constant reminder to themselves that they should make a conscious attempt to refrain from this behavior? Even if sometimes they still fall short? At least they are trying and making some improvements right?

Looking at it that way seems entirely consistent with Christianity.

I don't know the Mendes brothers (never even met them), but I hear similar stuff about Galvao all the time. People will say how Christian can Galvao really be when he jumps over a barrier and cusses out a ref at the Worlds?

What most of these people miss is that Galvao knows that what he did was wrong. He also knows that he naturally has a temper and is susceptible to those types of outbursts. He uses his faith not as a cover for that but as a way to keep him on track to try to improve on that stuff. If you listen to him talk about it, he used to be far worse about such things before he found his faith.

The same stuff is said about Deblass, Miyaos, etc. It is said about every BJJ Christian there is (in general every Christian too). People even say that about Marcelo, the nicest guy ever. Was putting out that video which caused public shame to his two students what Jesus would have done? Or would have Jesus have just handled it quietly to show compassion and let them save face?

But at the end of the day, I don't see irony in these guys' faith. What I see is some regular people, who have shortcomings like all human beings, trying to make themselves better.

jr jr, Solidus Snake and EGDM like this.
  11. Toothless King Brown Belt

Toothless King
    just out of curious, have you met any of the Mendes Bros before you make this conclusion?

I don't think they are standoffish or unfriendly. Shy and introvert? yes

12. kying418 Blue Belt

kying418
    Balto- great post and I agree completely- we are all just trying to improve.

Toothless King- I've never met them- and have found them to be honest and friendly in podcast/video interviews.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  13. kenetics Black Belt

kenetics
    Crazy, I know a guy who tried to do their world camp and said exactly what you described. He left the camp after one day. He spent like $700 too for the camp lol

mataleaos and TheGZA like this.
  14. kenetics Black Belt

kenetics
    His retire video was cringy. I wonder if the rumors were true about him failing a ped test.

15. Ryo Black Belt

Ryo
    Well, I didn't see him stick a needle in his ass or anything, so accusing people is usually a waste of time. However, given the fact that PEDs are pretty rampant in high level JJ, I wouldnt doubt it.

16. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    USADA would announce it if Rafa failed a ped test, retiring doesn't save you from that.
    It's not like USADA gives a fuck about Rafa and would cut him some shady deal he is just a small fry to them.

mataleaos likes this.
  17. kenetics Black Belt

kenetics
    So why does it take ibjff a whole year to release fail test? Pena and miyao both failed and it took almost a year to hear this news.

18. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    USADA announces failed tests on their website and I don't believe the IBJJF makes any statements other than they will uphold the rulings that USADA decides: https://www.usada.org/paulo-miyao-accepts-doping-sanction/

19. kenetics Black Belt

kenetics
    He failed june of 2016 but release fail test may of 2017?

20. Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Solidus Snake
    Or maybe he really, freely decided to only focus on his academy and family? Just sayin'..