Why does it seem like everyone from artofjiujitsu is so good?

Dana_is_your_GOD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just watching video footage it looks like they're way better than anyone else.

Can someone enlighten me?

Everyone shares the same aspirations and drive to succeed in an almost cult-like fashion.

Not saying they're cultish tho. Not at all.

Everyone shares the same aspirations and drive to succeed in an almost cult-like fashion.

Not saying they're cultish tho. Not at all.

I was hoping you'd tell me I was wrong and that they are comparable to other schools.

Because they are. Rafa teaches good Jiu Jitsu the right way. He doesn't teach people to act like pansies or to drill a technique once then talk for 5 minutes. His students also respect him and trust his coaching.

I don't know about them being way better than anyone else, but it's fair to say they're very good.

Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that Rafa Mendes, one of the greatest grapplers on the planet, is one of the head coaches?

Having watched almost all the videos on the website, I think Gui is a better teacher than Rafa. But both are outstanding.

They have top coaches, who teach a competition game that works, eliminating moves that aren't necessary to win. They have great competition within the school. They offer eight classes a day. And they attract a ton of ppl who train full time.
And they use the ATOS system of speed drills and conditioning.

It's a combination very few schools have

I've been there for a seminar. They look good because they are. I'm a brown belt and I'm pretty sure a few of their juvenile blue belts would have smoked me, never mind the adults. That's what you get from years of training under world-class competitors who are also world-class instructors.

(It was a pretty weird vibe though. I don't think I'd train there myself.)

You guys are replying to a troll thread

I know right? The instructors are probably a bunch of nobodies.

care to elaborate? what was weird about it?

Unlike literally everywhere I've trained, including with gyms and instructors with similar cachet, AOJ seemed oddly insular and unwelcoming . No one said hello or particularly responded to offers to train during the hours I was there, despite several overtures from me. I sat within arms reach of Rafa watching politely for 20 minutes during class while he worked with one of his own students, and afterwards he didn't even make eye contact, give a head nod, or ask if I had questions.

I'm not in a twist over it or anything. It became pretty clear that the Mendes bros don't actually like people that much and have adopted a deliberate professional social persona because their business and reputation depend on it. The students pick up on that. They all have the same style of dress, haircut, and on-the-mat personal mannerisms as Rafa and Gui.

This is in contrast to Marcelo, Cobrinha, Lucas Lepri, etc. where by the end of an hour I felt like I was family already.

AOJ is obvisouly a fantastic academy. The Mendes bros are goddamn wizards on the mat and also gifted instructors, judging by the seminar and their students. I learned an incredible amount over two classes. Their school and students are extremely successful for all lthe right reasons. It felt like the BJJ version of the Stepford Wives, though, and I think it would bother me long-term.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Unlike literally everywhere I've trained, including with gyms and instructors with similar cachet, AOJ seemed oddly insular and unwelcoming . No one said hello or particularly responded to offers to train during the hours I was there, despite several overtures from me. I sat within arms reach of Rafa watching politely for 20 minutes during class while he worked with one of his own students, and afterwards he didn't even make eye contact, give a head nod, or ask if I had questions.

I'm not in a twist over it or anything. It became pretty clear that the Mendes bros don't actually like people that much and have adopted a deliberate professional social persona because their business and reputation depend on it. The students pick up on that. They all have the same style of dress, haircut, and on-the-mat personal mannerisms as Rafa and Gui.

This is in contrast to Marcelo, Cobrinha, Lucas Lepri, etc. where by the end of an hour I felt like I was family already.

AOJ is obvisouly a fantastic academy. The Mendes bros are goddamn wizards on the mat and also gifted instructors, judging by the seminar and their students. I learned an incredible amount over two classes. Their school and students are extremely successful for all lthe right reasons. It felt like the BJJ version of the Stepford Wives, though, and I think it would bother me long-term.

YMMV.

Been by there a few times, but never trained there. But I've read similar accounts. BJJ has this weird thing that I've never seen in Judo where all the hipsters coallecs around a personality (like the Mendes bros). Trying to emulate their technique is one thing, but the way they dress and their fucking hair cut is pathetic... If I were the mendes bros, that would creep me out.

It's kind-of weird that you describe Rafa that way. Most of the interviews I've seen with him seems the opposite. He always seems to be laughing and very friendly. Guess people are very different off camera, or especially at work. Gotta think, he does this day in and day out and sees new people probably every day. Or maybe he's just an asshole. Most people are in alot of ways.

Is it true that multiple students at won got neck surgery in the last few years?

1.) They are great teachers
2.) The students you see in the videos and most likely to roll with good visitors are their BEST students.There is actually a HUGE increase in ability from their average student and the competitors.
3.) Many of their top guys came from other schools and train full time.

Honestly the best school i've seen when it comes to average level and where guys started as beginners is Crazy 88 in Maryland.

Back