Why do you think triple g will be a tough matchup for Canelo?

He's a power puncher but I don't think it's clear he's a devastating puncher at MW. Martinez was his best opponent, aside from Canelo, but his knees were shot. Canelo has a good beard but I suspect GGG's punches will have much more effect than Cotto's.
Imo, Canelo needs to worry more about the shots to the head, Golovkin needs to worry more about the shots to the body. Canelo's defense has really gotten sharp. People keep talking about his feet but you dont need to move your feet if youre able to roll away from the damage. Golovkin is pretty content with just going blow for blow, I think he can hold up to Canelo's best shots for 12 rounds but I strongly believe if Canelo is regularly landing his tremendous body work (and he will commit to going there) that it will break Golovkin down and slow his output considerably.

Canelo needs to stay off the ropes, and Golovkin needs to cover up his body.

And Geale? What was his issue?

What was the catchweight that Geale was reduced to fighting at? If I recall correctly, there was one in play when Cotto fought him. That would reduce one's overall vitality if the weight cut were arduous enough for the fighter.

Cotto does have power, I agree, there were some good punches early on against Martinez that convinced me of that, but I think he left some of that punch at the lower weight classes.

Imo, Canelo needs to worry more about the shots to the head, Golovkin needs to worry more about the shots to the body. Canelo's defense has really gotten sharp. People keep talking about his feet but you dont need to move your feet if youre able to roll away from the damage. Golovkin is pretty content with just going blow for blow, I think he can hold up to Canelo's best shots for 12 rounds but I strongly believe if Canelo is regularly landing his tremendous body work (and he will commit to going there) that it will break Golovkin down and slow his output considerably.

Canelo needs to stay off the ropes, and Golovkin needs to cover up his body.

Golovkin's jab is going to be a problem for Alvarez. When a guy has jabbed and been able to avoid Canelo's counter (which happens more than people pay attention to), Alvarez struggles to build his own head of steam and rack up damage. Also, while I agree his upper body defense has looked quite artful lately, I am always reluctant to get my hopes up too much for a guy that doesn't have the feet but moves up in weight. James Toney is a emphathic exception to that rule, and people like Max Kellerman have drawn the obvious parallels.

This is a damn good fight. I agree that each man is going to have to do something different, but Golovkin will only go punch for punch when he feels confident that he can take your best shots. Until then, his gloves are up and he can curb the power from a lot of his opponents shots.

I made my prediction when I wrote about this fight a couple days ago, but honestly, this is one of those fights that won't surprise me if either man won. There are question marks about if Alvarez has the power and if GGG can land his own often enough.

Last edited:
Canelo doesn't have the legs and reach to bother GGG as much as Jacobs did. I can see GGG being cautious behind the jab, wearing down Canelo. If he gets Alvarez to move forward, he'll hurt him, IMO. If he has to be the agressor then Canelo will have counter and body work opportunities.

Close fight in which ring generalship will weight a lot.

Last edited:
Canelo doesn't have the legs and reach to bother GGG as much as Jacobs did. I can see GGG being cautious behind the jab, wearing down Canelo. If he gets Alvarez to move forward, he'll hurt him, IMO. If he has to be the agressor then Canelo will have counter and body work opportunities.

Close fight in which ring generalship will wieght a lot.
And again hagler speaks troof

Canelo looked great against Jr. especially head movement and handspeed but I really don't know how to gauge it as the opponent was so fucking lacklustre.

I bet puo3 awhile back that if they ever fought whoever wins the losing team leaves sherdog.
I have GGG, puo3 has canelo.

He didnt agree though. lol

I bet puo3 awhile back that if they ever fought whoever wins the losing team leaves sherdog.

Remember when I bet on ward and everyone said he wouldn't win and my bank balance was magically higher? Lol.

Ban bets are stupid as theyre never followed. Secondly, its more fun to just ridicule the person for months on end over being wrong.

We can bet some $, or avs/sigs etc though.

Ban bets are stupid as theyre never followed. Secondly, its more fun to just ridicule the person for months on end over being wrong.

We can bet some $, or avs/sigs etc though.
He turns up to piss you off, you can probably already see what alt he is. I've always squared up.

Close fight in which ring generalship will weight a lot.

people comparing the 5'8" unproven 160 canelo to the 6'0" proven 160 danny jacbos are being ridiculous.

golovkin is probably going to get close to even money where he should be a -300 or 400 and will be my biggest bet of the year even though he will get robbed should the fight go to the cards unless he completely dominates which is what he is going to do

styles make fihgts but there is a reason that cotto did not want to fight golovkin and fought canelo instead

people comparing the 5'8" unproven 160 canelo to the 6'0" proven 160 danny jacbos are being ridiculous.

golovkin is probably going to get close to even money where he should be a -300 or 400 and will be my biggest bet of the year even though he will get robbed should the fight go to the cards unless he completely dominates which is what he is going to do

styles make fihgts but there is a reason that cotto did not want to fight golovkin and fought canelo instead
Money.

Bigger draw. As always.

Do you still think Martin Murray dominates Canelo?

That's not a fair bet anyway. Mod vs regular account. You're going to have to put up some $$$ too. :D

Cotto's smaller than Canelo and is at the end of his career. This should be a pretty close fight so I'd bet on either guy with good odds. I'm leaning more towards GGG though due to his size and jab. If Canelo can slow him down with bodywork though he can win a decision or maybe get a late stoppage.

I rewatched the Brook GGG fight last night, as I'd been thinking that Canelo's uppercut could win this for him and that GGG was open for it.

Watching the fight it was clear Canelo has better technique than Brook (for sure) and more power (but perhaps not a huge difference) so he can certainly land one. And GGG was definitely open to an uppercut more than once, in that fight at least.

But watching that fight I changed my mind. Brook is a tough man, but from the first punch landed you could see he was shocked. Those looping hooks to the body are the stuff of nightmares - Canelo has way better defence than Brook of course, but it only takes one...

I'm gonna watch the Jacobs fight again, and maybe I'll change my mind again, but goddamn that's why this is such a great fight.

Back