Why do you think triple g will be a tough matchup for Canelo?

Even if he had won it wouldn't automatically mean he would get a bunch of huge paydays. You know all too well that boxing is about popularity more than anything else. The best fighters don't usually get the best paychecks. Shit fighters like Adrian Broner can pull bigger money than actual nice human beings who can actually fight and make weight like Jacobs.

As far as the thread title GGG is an incredibly tough fight for anyone near his weightclass including Canelo. He's a monster puncher with a seemingly great chin who always shows up in shape and he can jab really well. He also cuts off the ring beautifully.

Canelo is also a tough match for anyone because he has really good combinations and a great chin and decent power. Plus GGG is a knockout fighter and Canelo has never been dropped or seriously hurt so that puts a big question mark on the entire fight. Some guys just don't get knocked out. So if GGG doesn't stop him then what happens? I would never bet on anyone beating Canelo on the scorecards regardless of what happens in the fight. Trusting random judges when there are quite possibly hundreds of millions of dollars on the line is tough. Especially when the mexican version of Don King(also known as De La Hoya)is involved.

So it's a tough fight for both guys and when you take popularity and money into consideration it's a bit of an uphill battle for GGG no matter who you favor.

I think GGG will win by knockout. Canelo is undoubtedly tough and highly skilled but he stands and fights which is exactly what makes GGG shine.

Why do you say Canelo has a great chin? When has he been tested by a power punching MW or even a decent punching MW?

Hey so im not a boxing fan really, but i started watching canelos fights a little while back because i saw his style and thought if that guy had a ground game he would be a beast. Theres something about his style thats different then most boxers and feels like if he could grapple he could be extremely effective in the octagon. Ive watched a lot of triple g highlights and some of his fights but i just dont see the hype. Honeslty, i dont see why anybody would think he should be the favorite. He doesnt seem to have some sort of amazing offense nor defense. The guy seems to get hit pretty easy. If you have something to show to make me think otherwise please do. Im just trying to understand why this guy is considered to be so good cause im not seeing it and im not impressed

You watched GGG fights and came away with that he doesn't have some sort of amazing offense?
I'll grant you that these last 2 fights he has been very underwhelming... but even there he still had some rounds where he looked very dominant.

If you said "I saw his last two fight and I don't see any thing resembling amazing offense" I'd have little complaints.

But unless your "a lot of triple g" was only highlights from those 2 fights.... I don't know how you come away with at least not being very impressed. I'm saying nothing of his defense and focusing only on his offense.

A close fight with Jacobs is more impressive than slugging a clueless heavy bag for 12 rds.

good replies thx for the insight. I still would place my money on canelo based off what ive seen but will be looking forward to this fight

You are hasty in putting money on Canelo so readily. You have time to consider things.

he should, though. lara not getting high profile fights is a fucking crime.

Yes, true. But also, even if he beat Canelo, do you think he'd all of a sudden be getting these big paydays? Perhaps. I'm not so convinced. He is a quiet, non-English speaking, back-foot fighter that lacks a big punch. When has that exact bundle of qualities ever translated into huge paydays? Not often, I should say. People love knockouts. People love aggression. Is normal.

Canelo already fought his toughest fight and toughest challenge for his career. That was Floyd. He literally had no chance and little to no success in that entire fight.

I definitely think the GGG fight will be more competitive. Definitely see Canelo having success. Very winnable fight for Canelo even though Im pulling for GGG.

Why do you say Canelo has a great chin? When has he been tested by a power punching MW or even a decent punching MW?

What the fuck does Canelo having a great chin have to do with any specific weight division? He weighs in at the same weight as his opponents and so far they haven't been able to hurt him. He gets hit clean in pretty much every single fight and hasn't been dropped/wobbled/hurt.

Canelo's chin has thus far been great. He wasn't hurt by Kirkland/Cotto/Angulo/Trout/Mosley/Cintron all of whom to one degree or another have significant power.

Yes GGG has more power than any of Canelo's previous opponents and might knock Canelo out cold but none of that has ANYTHING to do with the fact that Canelo has a great chin. You don't base a fighter's ability to take a punch off some hypothetical possibility of getting hit by someone he's never fought before.

Yes, true. But also, even if he beat Canelo, do you think he'd all of a sudden be getting these big paydays? Perhaps. I'm not so convinced. He is a quiet, non-English speaking, back-foot fighter that lacks a big punch. When has that exact bundle of qualities ever translated into huge paydays? Not often, I should say. People love knockouts. People love aggression. Is normal.

i don't think his fighting style is the problem, floyd was a defensive fighter and lacked a KO streak, yet he made the biggest payday in sport history. and i know, it's also because he played the heel and talked mad shit (though he wasn't exactly clever with it), but he was timid with pre-fight shenanigans against pacman, so his out-of-this-world skills had something to do with his financial success.

it just irks me that a guy as talented and skilled as lara is forced into irrelevant matches, wasting his prime. he's 34 now, he won't be in the game much longer. and i know most people here will disagree with me, but i honestly think he can beat anyone at 155, or even 160.

i don't think his fighting style is the problem, floyd was a defensive fighter and lacked a KO streak, yet he made the biggest payday in sport history. and i know, it's also because he played the heel and talked mad shit (though he wasn't exactly clever with it), but he was timid with pre-fight shenanigans against pacman, so his out-of-this-world skills had something to do with his financial success.

it just irks me that a guy as talented and skilled as lara is forced into irrelevant matches, wasting his prime. he's 34 now, he won't be in the game much longer. and i know most people here will disagree with me, but i honestly think he can beat anyone at 155, or even 160.

Read all the criteria I listed. Just being defensive doesn't matter. It's an accummulation of the aforementioned traits that led to his lack of being pushed by promoters and advertisements.

Box him with a good chin and he has a shit ton of tells. You'll win if your chin can take a bomb

It's a good tough fight for both guys, i'm not sure how you can watch GGG highlights and think he doesn't have much of an offense. His highlights are all of him beating the shit out of people. Jacobs is the only guy he hasn't knocked out in god knows how long.

It's definitely in the realms of possibility that someone as talented as Canelo can win this, but to discount GGG because he's not as flashy is a mistake. This is going to be a great fight and I'm looking forward to it.

Canelo has fought better guys than triple G. The only reason GGG is a tough fight for Canelo is becasue he's going to be the hardest puncher he's ever faced.

Cotto.

But let me guess, the former MW champion doesn't count for some reason.

So, not a huge boxing fan, only watched some highlights of GGG, and doesn't "see why anybody would think he should be the favorite"?

Well I think you should do your research and watch both of their fights, look into the caliber opponents they have faced and defeated, and then reevaluate that statement. It's easy to look good against guys who are several weight classes below you, or bums, like Chavez Jr.

Cotto.

But let me guess, the former MW champion doesn't count for some reason.

I don't think people give Canelo enough credit for the Cotto win. That was a tough fight and he beat one of the best boxers of the last 10-15 years.

I don't know why the score cards were so wide, I've watched it several times and I felt like it was a really close bout - but with Canelo winning. Canelo got hit by some huge shots from Cotto. And Cotto can crack, even though yes, he isn't in his prime anymore, he hit Canelo flush several times and Canelo ate them easily. Cotto showed up that night wanting to win and make a statement, and Canelo didn't let him get the job done... that was a big statement tp me

I don't think people give Canelo enough credit for the Cotto win. That was a tough fight and he beat one of the best boxers of the last 10-15 years.

I don't know why the score cards were so wide, I've watched it several times and I felt like it was a really close bout - but with Canelo winning. Canelo got hit by some huge shots from Cotto. And Cotto can crack, even though yes, he isn't in his prime anymore, he hit Canelo flush several times and Canelo ate them easily. Cotto showed up that night wanting to win and make a statement, and Canelo didn't let him get the job done... that was a big statement tp me

Exactly and Cotto wasn't weight drained like he had been for some of his biggest fights in the past. He was in great shape and comfortable with the weight and put on an excellent fight against Canelo. I think Canelo won clearly but only because he took the best Cotto had and came back with even more himself.

It's easy to hate Canelo for his recent antics and long string of absolute joke fights but it's not fair to erase all the things he did back when he fought everyone.

What the fuck does Canelo having a great chin have to do with any specific weight division? He weighs in at the same weight as his opponents and so far they haven't been able to hurt him. He gets hit clean in pretty much every single fight and hasn't been dropped/wobbled/hurt.

Canelo's chin has thus far been great. He wasn't hurt by Kirkland/Cotto/Angulo/Trout/Mosley/Cintron all of whom to one degree or another have significant power.

Yes GGG has more power than any of Canelo's previous opponents and might knock Canelo out cold but none of that has ANYTHING to do with the fact that Canelo has a great chin. You don't base a fighter's ability to take a punch off some hypothetical possibility of getting hit by someone he's never fought before.

You can't possibly be serious? So shall we say that someone with a great chin at flyweight will also have a great chin at middleweight?

Canelo has never had his chin tested by a decent punching MW, you know the weight class the fight will take place and where he should have been fighting for years.

We know nothing about Canelo's chin as a MW and any claim to the contrary is just blatant bias.

Exactly and Cotto wasn't weight drained like he had been for some of his biggest fights in the past. He was in great shape and comfortable with the weight and put on an excellent fight against Canelo. I think Canelo won clearly but only because he took the best Cotto had and came back with even more himself.

It's easy to hate Canelo for his recent antics and long string of absolute joke fights but it's not fair to erase all the things he did back when he fought everyone.
Canelo has fought better guys than triple G. The only reason GGG is a tough fight for Canelo is becasue he's going to be the hardest puncher he's ever faced.

He hasn't fought better competition his own size than GGG.

The Jacobs win is better by far than any win CAnelo has had. Jacobs is talented, in his prime, and huge.

Canelo beat a soon to retire blown up WW, got a gift decision at 154, barely beat a guy who is a small nobody (Trout) and KO'd a chinny WW. Oh and got whitewashed by Floyd. Where exactly are these great wins?

You can't possibly be serious? So shall we say that someone with a great chin at flyweight will also have a great chin at middleweight?

Canelo has never had his chin tested by a decent punching MW, you know the weight class the fight will take place and where he should have been fighting for years.

We know nothing about Canelo's chin as a MW and any claim to the contrary is just blatant bias.
well, actually, we've seen several fighters jump up substantial amounts of weight classes and maintain good chins, including (but not limited to), Pac, Armstrong, Mayweather, Langford, Duran, and Ray Leonard. The jump from 154 to 160 isn't huge either, not really comparable to a jump from flyweight to MW. A better comparison would be FlW to SFlW, and yes, we've seen plenty of succesful 112ers jump to 115.

Cotto was pretty clearly punching well for himself at 160. He stopped Rodriguez, who isn't exactly an ATG, but has only ever been stopped one other time. He stopped Martinez, the lineal champ. He stopped Geale in only one round more than GGG. He can clearly punch pretty well for imself. Chavez Jr. can punch solidly and he got smacked around. Kirkland is pretty clearly a strong puncher, that's not even debatable.

so yeah, Canelo's chin seems in pretty good standing. It's pretty clear you're the one with the blatant bias.

You are fake news.

I said Canelo has a great chin. That's a fact.

If he moves up to superheavyweight and gets knocked out by the ghost of Butterbean that has fuck all to do with the fact he had a great chin when I said he had a great chin. I never said he would have a great chin in the future at every fucking weightclass.

Back