Why do you think triple g will be a tough matchup for Canelo?

timoteo

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey so im not a boxing fan really, but i started watching canelos fights a little while back because i saw his style and thought if that guy had a ground game he would be a beast. Theres something about his style thats different then most boxers and feels like if he could grapple he could be extremely effective in the octagon. Ive watched a lot of triple g highlights and some of his fights but i just dont see the hype. Honeslty, i dont see why anybody would think he should be the favorite. He doesnt seem to have some sort of amazing offense nor defense. The guy seems to get hit pretty easy. If you have something to show to make me think otherwise please do. Im just trying to understand why this guy is considered to be so good cause im not seeing it and im not impressed

I slightly favor Canelo but Golovkin definitely has a lot going for him.

Golovkin has height and reach advantages, and a bigger frame.

Golovkin is an expert at cutting off the ring, and Canelo isn't too light on his feet. He gets outmaneuvered and pressed pretty often.

On top of that, Golovkin is an extremely hard puncher. That's at 160, where Canelo hasn't fought any real competition.

So many people are thinking Golovkin imposes himself and beats up on Canelo like nobody ever has.

My thinking is that Golovkin is too easy to hit and that Canelo is sharper in the exchanges and will win. But I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Golovkin take it.

I favor GGG mostly because I don't think Canelo's jab is good enough to win the outfighting and I don't think he's going to be able to bring the fight to GGG consistently. If GGG goes in, no defense, no thought, then yeah, he could find himself getting badly hurt, but I think he's smart enough to outmaneuver and outjab Canelo. His defense is deceptively good and after seeing Liam Smith use pressure to give Canelo a good fight, then I have to favor GGG.

that said, this is a very competitive fight. I could easily see Cinnamon taking this one.

Hey so im not a boxing fan really, but i started watching canelos fights a little while back because i saw his style and thought if that guy had a ground game he would be a beast. Theres something about his style thats different then most boxers and feels like if he could grapple he could be extremely effective in the octagon. Ive watched a lot of triple g highlights and some of his fights but i just dont see the hype. Honeslty, i dont see why anybody would think he should be the favorite. He doesnt seem to have some sort of amazing offense nor defense. The guy seems to get hit pretty easy. If you have something to show to make me think otherwise please do. Im just trying to understand why this guy is considered to be so good cause im not seeing it and im not impressed

Its a hard one to predict and will be an excellent fight

You need to look at their recent
opponents

GGG has had David Lemieux - dominated him with ease the entire fight and stops him. Canelo wouldnt be able to dominate such a big strong guy like Lemieux, it would be a really hard fight

Kell Brook - who Canelo would probably beat but it would likely be a hard fought 12 round decision contest. GGG didnt box at all in this fight he simply bulldozed through him

Danny Jacobs, a good close hard fought fight which GGG won. Jacobs would likely beat Canelo

----------------------------

Canelo as had - Liam Smith, British level nobody, Canelo dominated and finished him with a great body shot. GGG would certainly do the same

Amir Khan - Coming up a few weight classes to take the fight and has been known for getting KOd badly, was doing OK until he got flat lined, I feel like he was doing OK because Canelo was allowing it to get Amirs timing down. GGG would also flatten Khan

Chavez jnr who they forced to cut so much weight and then he doesnt throw more than 10 punches a round. Domination by Canelo, Canelo looked super sharp as usual but it wasnt a fight. GGG would certainly stop that Chavez, Chavez has said after the fight that when he sparred with GGG that he was hit harder than anything that Canelo threw

GGG is a big strong terminator, he comes forward and gets people out of there. He just breaks people

Canelo is a super sharp counter puncher who loves people coming forward at him

It will be a fantastic fight and the styles should mesh really well. Its hard to really say who will win, I will probably pick Canelo though but it certainly wont be anywhere near easy

Because I am a boxing fan with a good grasp on reality?

Canelo is a beautiful fighter to watch, his combinations are a thing of beauty. However, GGG is bigger, more powerful puncher and a little quicker IMO.
Looks to be an awesome fight.

You can take that ...if he had a ground game shit and jam it up your ass. Canelo is very good at punching people about the head and body, why the fuck would anybody want to watch him hugging another dude, and rolling around in some other guy's sweaty embrace. That's just perverse dude.

Because I am a boxing fan with a good grasp on reality?

Canelo is a beautiful fighter to watch, his combinations are a thing of beauty. However, GGG is bigger, more powerful puncher and a little quicker IMO.
Looks to be an awesome fight.

You can take that ...if he had a ground game shit and jam it up your ass. Canelo is very good at punching people about the head and body, why the fuck would anybody want to watch him hugging another dude, and rolling around in some other guy's sweaty embrace. That's just perverse dude.
because thats reality. i want to see people fight how it would go down if there was nobody around

good replies thx for the insight. I still would place my money on canelo based off what ive seen but will be looking forward to this fight

Pretty much everything was said about GGG's assets altready. Size, range, footwork. I'd add the heavy, accurate jab, which is bascially what earned him the tough Jacobs fight.

Pretty much everything was said about GGG's assets altready. Size, range, footwork. I'd add the heavy, accurate jab, which is bascially what earned him the tough Jacobs fight.

He's a pretty average sized MW with average arm length.

GGG is a technically sound fighter with great power, a good/very good/great chin and an excellent jab. He's a tough fight for anyone at MW.

He however doesn't have good hand speed and appears to be losing some as he's gotten older.

because thats reality. i want to see people fight how it would go down if there was nobody around
They wouldn't fight if there was nobody around. Or they might pull a gun or knife out. Or use something as a weapon from their surroundings. Or just fight a little and then break it up. One might be drunk. Or their friends might come and jump in. The number of times "in reality" that two people have entered a cage or ring with minimum clothing on, been given months in advance to train to face each other, and proceeded to fight under a very specific set of rules with a referee overseeing it is exactly 0 times ever, except from all the times it happens in combat sports.

They wouldn't fight if there was nobody around. Or they might pull a gun or knife out. Or use something as a weapon from their surroundings. Or just fight a little and then break it up. One might be drunk. Or their friends might come and jump in. The number of times "in reality" that two people have entered a cage or ring with minimum clothing on, been given months in advance to train to face each other, and proceeded to fight under a very specific set of rules with a referee overseeing it is exactly 0 times ever, except from all the times it happens in combat sports.
cool story bro

A better question is why do we think Canelo will be a tough matchup for GGG?

Canelo has never had a win over a MW with a pulse. He's never hurt a MW with a pulse. He's never taken a punch from a MW who can punch.

His fame is based on beating naturally smaller fighters, a killer jawline, and cute boxing gifs. Oh, and getting whitewashed by Floyd.

Canelo could not hurt Cotto, he will not put a dent in GGG.
It is a great fight but Canelo has not fought any real MW's so it is a different ball game.
Intresting to see none the less who will emerge victorious.

I think Canelo isnt thinking about hurting GGG. He has the skills to get off his licks and score. In the Chavez fight we saw this. At a certain point he was no longer interested in a KO, but to keep scoring. I know Chavez is a bad barometer cause he did nothing but, Canelo's defense is putting him at the top of the foodchain. This fight is gonna be a war of attrition. Can triple G impose his power to hurt the kid, and consistently, and how does Canelo adjust. Cause he WILL adjust. He looks like he took a lot from the Mayweather fight. If he wins this he is undisputed the #1 P4P guy on the planet. I just dont see GGG winning if he doesnt have the fight stopped by TKO.

Everyone loves the knockouts.

Jacobs won imo so I don't see why he gets the money paydays.

Because he didn't win. Or do you want to do the same thing for Lara? Why isnt he getting the paydays?
he should, though. lara not getting high profile fights is a fucking crime.

Jacobs won imo so I don't see why he gets the money paydays.

Even if he had won it wouldn't automatically mean he would get a bunch of huge paydays. You know all too well that boxing is about popularity more than anything else. The best fighters don't usually get the best paychecks. Shit fighters like Adrian Broner can pull bigger money than actual nice human beings who can actually fight and make weight like Jacobs.

As far as the thread title GGG is an incredibly tough fight for anyone near his weightclass including Canelo. He's a monster puncher with a seemingly great chin who always shows up in shape and he can jab really well. He also cuts off the ring beautifully.

Canelo is also a tough match for anyone because he has really good combinations and a great chin and decent power. Plus GGG is a knockout fighter and Canelo has never been dropped or seriously hurt so that puts a big question mark on the entire fight. Some guys just don't get knocked out. So if GGG doesn't stop him then what happens? I would never bet on anyone beating Canelo on the scorecards regardless of what happens in the fight. Trusting random judges when there are quite possibly hundreds of millions of dollars on the line is tough. Especially when the mexican version of Don King(also known as De La Hoya)is involved.

So it's a tough fight for both guys and when you take popularity and money into consideration it's a bit of an uphill battle for GGG no matter who you favor.

I think GGG will win by knockout. Canelo is undoubtedly tough and highly skilled but he stands and fights which is exactly what makes GGG shine.

Back