Why do we allow primitive tribes to still exist ?

The answer is given pretty well by the person that replied to you in that thread. I mean "some guy", not you.

but that's sort of the point that the guy in that paragraph is making. because they are uneducated and do not understand how everyone else is living, they will never seek help, because they don't know any better. that's why the guy is saying that the onus should be on the rest of us to show them.

i understand that and i'm not strictly opposed to it. buy my opinion is to let them be unless they seek help. i have little understanding of how these tribes and cultures work so i cant have a strong opinion either way (and its one thing to read about it, but that doesnt give you an idea of the sentiments of the people in those tribes).

all i know is that in things fall apart i both hated and sympathized with okonkwo.

Help them or not, we are not doing them any favours by invading their society and forcing our technology and research on them. Should the Amish be brought up to speed too?

Their surroundings reflects their way of life and vice versa, so be insinuating that someone should come in with their "superior" lifestyle and change things for them would be an insult to their way of life.

you're talking about cultural relativism. i used to believe that, but now i don't. living longer and disease-free isn't about culture, in my mind. that's basic humanity, and we should do what we can to help those people in that way, at the very least.

how many people have left their third-world environment to the first world, and decided that they enjoyed the third-world more? if there are some, there aren't many. if america opened up it's borders, this country would be flooded by these very people. that says it all right there.

Youre comparing people who live in war torn, poverty stricken shitholes to people who live in sustainable isolated communities. Completely different.

Leave the alone unless they want help integrating into mainstream society. It's such an arrogance attitude to "civilize" them and "show them the error of their primitive ways". Reminds me of Roman imperialism where they thought they were bringing culture to the tribes they conquered.

If there are resources on their land then they need to be civilized asap.

We_free_the_shit_out_of_you_by_Pencilshade.png

I say if they look for help we help them. If they don't let them be. I would imagine the older ones would be resistant to change

Do they know enough about what is possible to look for help?

There are hundreds of millions of people who live in abject poverty who don't want to live that way. If we have spare resources we want to devote to making people better off, we can start there. That this would be a good thing to do is uncontroversial.

To figure out whether we should help primitive tribes without them asking for it, we would essentially have to solve the problem of paternalism and define what the good life is.

Youre comparing people who live in war torn, poverty stricken shitholes to people who live in sustainable isolated communities. Completely different.

if first-world nations opened their borders, both of those groups would flood the first-world countries. that's my basic point. sure, some would remain in their sustainable communities. but i would venture to guess that most would leave, provided that they would be able to find work and live like the rest of us.

I think that it is wrong to force these primitive tribes into modern society. I think it's arrogant to assume that we live a better life. Sure, we have certain comforts, we have better medicine, etc, but that doesn't mean that our lives are truly better.

This. As long as they are not hurting anyone, leave them the fuck alone. I'm sometimes jealous of people who live in primitive tribes. A life of hunting and fishing sounds better than the stressful rate race we put up with in first world countries. There are pros bad cons to both sides really.

It's not a big deal when they are a relatively tiny group.

If you have a modern nation state where a significant portion of the population is languishing in an uneducated, impoverished, violence, rape-filled and disease-ridden state, on the other hand, then you do start to think about whether some degree of forceful state intervention is appropriate to break down traditional attitudes and practices. But it's a complex subject that is hard to make any strong statements on, it involves balancing a lot of different factors.

This. As long as they are not hurting anyone, leave them the fuck alone. I'm sometimes jealous of people who live in primitive tribes. A life of hunting and fishing sounds better than the stressful rate race we put up with in first world countries. There are pros bad cons to both sides really.

that would be pretty cool. for a little while. at a certain point, you're going to be pissed off that you have to spend hours of your day doing something basic like feeding yourself. by the time you do the basics, it'll be time for bed. and worse still, you'd know that others are living a much easier life, with time to post on sherdog.

THE PRIME DIRECTIVE

/apologies if this reference has been made 50 times in this thread already

if first-world nations opened their borders, both of those groups would flood the first-world countries. that's my basic point. sure, some would remain in their sustainable communities. but i would venture to guess that most would leave, provided that they would be able to find work and live like the rest of us.

The thread is about people living in sustainable isolated communities. People who make no effort to join the modern world. So no, they wouldnt flood first world countries.

Back