Why do UFC fans demand that Champions be more active than top 15 ranked contenders within a WC

Aldo REFUSED to accept the title fight with Conor due to RDA chickening out FAR TO LATE and FAR TO CLOSE to fight day for it to be worth him accepting the title fight rematch with Conor. Conor can't MAKE Aldo fight him if Aldo REFUSES to, which is EXACTLY what and ONLY what happened here.

At least you admitting you suffer from memory loss. Aldo was offered a rematch at 155, not a title rematch.

Also, Aldo near clearing out the FW division means nothing in terms of Conor clearing it out.

I'll help refresh your memory a little bit, Conor has never defended a title before because he understands risk management. He could have fought Hollaway, who was on an 8 fight winning streak, instead of RDA, but that would be of no advantage to Conor. Conor nuthuggers will say this is because he already beat him, even though Hollaway was only 21 at the time. Conor then could have fought against Edgar, who would've recovered from his injury by then, but again, too risky of a fight for Conor with such little reward. The other option would've been to give Aldo his immediate rematch, something that every dominant champion before had received.

To point out one last thing, I rooted for Conor in the fight against Aldo, and I was a fan of his up until the past year. But when I see everything about the sport being changed for one person, it makes me no longer a fan. I'm sure a lot of the other hardcore fans feel the same way. I was hoping that I was going to witness a JBJ like run out of Conor, not whatever this year has been. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun, but hardly legendary.

Come on, Aldo was the hardest champ to be a fan of plain and simple, you'd watch impressively unexciting fight, where he would edge out his opponents.

And then he'd be gone until next year.

Aldo has been holding up the division for years.
Aldo vs Frankie 1 = Fight of the night
Aldo vs Mendes 1 = Ends in KO
Aldo vs Mendes 2 = Fight of the year, fight of the night.
Aldo vs Hominick = Fight of the night
Aldo vs Korean Zombie = Ends in TKO
Aldo vs Lamas = Probably the root of all evil for those holding
this "Aldo was a boring champion" argument
Aldo vs Frankie 2 = A complete MMA clinic against a proven tough fighter and ex LW champ.

This argument is used to attack the un-marketability of Aldo, him being "boring" as in not connecting with UFC's main demographic, choosing to keep the language barrier, training in Brazil and not giving a fuck about promoting himself to american public.

Aldo pulled out 4 times with injury, also his opponents pulled out from fights with him twice. This "aldo fought once a year" thing is BS from fans that can't respect injuries.

Cruz is in similar situation and we don't see that happening to him, he can get hurt anytime and sit on the belt again. Aldo was more than a legit champion and probably will be the FW G.O.A.T. For a long time. Not every fghter can afford being KO'd in 13 seconds and still having a gigantic legacy like him.

At least you admitting you suffer from memory loss. Aldo was offered a rematch at 155, not a title rematch.

Also, Aldo near clearing out the FW division means nothing in terms of Conor clearing it out.

I'll help refresh your memory a little bit, Conor has never defended a title before because he understands risk management. He could have fought Hollaway, who was on an 8 fight winning streak, instead of RDA, but that would be of no advantage to Conor. Conor nuthuggers will say this is because he already beat him, even though Hollaway was only 21 at the time. Conor then could have fought against Edgar, who would've recovered from his injury by then, but again, too risky of a fight for Conor with such little reward. The other option would've been to give Aldo his immediate rematch, something that every dominant champion before had received.

To point out one last thing, I rooted for Conor in the fight against Aldo, and I was a fan of his up until the past year. But when I see everything about the sport being changed for one person, it makes me no longer a fan. I'm sure a lot of the other hardcore fans feel the same way. I was hoping that I was going to witness a JBJ like run out of Conor, not whatever this year has been. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun, but hardly legendary.

I do recall this now, (Aldo offered Conor at 155 non-title) not rematch at FTW for the belt. My bad! With you help to jog my failing memory however, it is clear that the reason that the fight that the UFC offered Aldo vs. Conor being in the LW division had ZERO fault for McGregor that had been preparing for the LW title fight at 155 when RDA chickened out mere DAYS before the title 155 fight.

While you are 100% correcting me, admit that I am also right! IF. Big IF here, the UFC allowed RDA to pull out of his 155 title defense (LAST FREAKING SECOND) that Conor had been preparing for, and attempted to "force" him to lose an additional 10 pounds to make the 145 limit (where he was prepared for 155!!!), do you think Conor would have made weight?

Really, I ask honestly, do you feel that there would have been "anything" that could have been "misconstrued" of as "right" punishing Conor for RDA's utter failure days in advance of his contracted LW title fight?

Would you have been ecstatic and be less pointing the finger of "blame" if Conor's team did agree that they would attempt to do any and everything short of killing their fighter requesting them to lose an additional 10 pounds at the last second, and Conor coming in a 146 pounds missing weight for the last second LW - FTW title presto chango resulting in no fight period occurring that evening.

OK, Yes there was no more reason for Aldo to help bail Dana's ass out of the shitter for RDA magician pulling being a last second disappearing act than the man on the moon. That said, I don't understand your point where Conor is more obligated to cover Dana for RDA's last second disappearing act than it is to blame or punish Aldo?

Can we at LEAST agree that in this circumstance, RDA is 100% to blame, and Aldo & McGregor are 0% to blame.

The ONLY reason that I also hold Aldo in the same (light) as RDA is he has an even far worse track record pulling out AT THE LAST SECOND! (I would DEARLY like to see BOTH fired from the UFC and go to some limp dik some minor league MMA organization pulling their last second magician disappearing acts from title fights!

Better yet, Rogan should give them the "talk" about a career in standup if magical disappearing acts are their specialties).

I do however recall now the reason for the 155 LW fight offer to Aldo from McGregor and agree that it was not in Aldo's best interest to accept the fight. I still am seriously unclear as to what you believe that the UFC and McGregor were suppose to do after RDA pulled out last second. Thoughts?

I do however recall now the reason for the 155 LW fight offer to Aldo from McGregor and agree that it was not in Aldo's best interest to accept the fight. I still am seriously unclear as to what you believe that the UFC and McGregor were suppose to do after RDA pulled out last second. Thoughts?

I don't think there's any doubt that it wasn't in Aldo's best interest to take that short notice fight.

You don't seem to think the UFC or Conor are at any fault in this circumstance, even though there was no reason for the fight to be made in the first place. There were worthy contenders in both weightclasses already, it was actually the one inter-divisional match-up that didn't need to be made at all, and subsequently screwed over numerous contenders in both divisions.

I don't think there's any doubt that it wasn't in Aldo's best interest to take that short notice fight.

You don't seem to think the UFC or Conor are at any fault in this circumstance, even though there was no reason for the fight to be made in the first place. There were worthy contenders in both weightclasses already, it was actually the one inter-divisional match-up that didn't need to be made at all, and subsequently screwed over numerous contenders in both divisions.

We are then in complete agreement. No fight should have been made against for Conor in this short notice event.
Worthy contender(s) in any WC are TOTALLY irrelevant in EVERY COMBAT SPORT on EARTH (and I am not sure that does not include MMA outside of the UFC) in "short notice" cancellations.

EVERY COMBAT SPORT ON EARTH, the event is POSTPONED, and the two top contenders face off (within a MANDATED time period) against one another. NEVER in a reaql professional combat sport (outside of possibly MMA) is a Champion EVER requested to take another fight on short notice when the contender cannot meet the legally contracted obligation to fight for the title. Proxy title contenders IS a BULLSHIT fuctard policy from a greedy c-sucker president of a large MMA organization so that they do NOT have to follow the professional combat sport policy of event postponment/ cancellation observed worldwide!

We 100% agree, since the legaly contracted title fight at UFC 196 against McGregor and RDA could not take place, the fight should have been scrapped.

That would have left Dana with the UFC 196 PPV that featuring main event WBW championship Tate vs. Holm with a co main event of (drumroll please) Villante vs. Latiffi.

Hey Rubberguard, would you have been all over paying $60 for the card in that case? Nope!

If the right thing is done, the UFC 196 card goes EXACTLY the same as when Henderson gets hurt a couple days before his title shot against JBJ, and attempts to send his training partner Chael in as a proxy.

Dana takes it up the ASS. Dana learned from that cancelled UFC event, and will no longer take it up the ass from a cancer pulling out of a title fight in the last second. Nope, he is taking that telafunking u-47 and shoving up You. Me and the rest of the UFC fans arse.

Blame Conor all you like for Dana and the UFC making PPV cards so shallow that they could not possibly survive a main event contenders last second injury, but well, until McGregor gets that huge % of the UFC ownership he has requested, I strongly disagree with you.

Conor & Aldo 0% fault. I can possibly accept your rational that RDA was not 100% at fault given Dana's roll in the failure. That said, the WW main event of UFC 196 that we BOTH 100% AGREE was BULLSHIT to make, what is your % of fault dibbied between the "guilty parties" in you opinion.

Aldo vs Frankie 1 = Fight of the night
Aldo vs Mendes 1 = Ends in KO
Aldo vs Mendes 2 = Fight of the year, fight of the night.
Aldo vs Hominick = Fight of the night
Aldo vs Korean Zombie = Ends in TKO
Aldo vs Lamas = Probably the root of all evil for those holding
this "Aldo was a boring champion" argument
Aldo vs Frankie 2 = A complete MMA clinic against a proven tough fighter and ex LW champ.

This argument is used to attack the un-marketability of Aldo, him being "boring" as in not connecting with UFC's main demographic, choosing to keep the language barrier, training in Brazil and not giving a fuck about promoting himself to american public.

Aldo pulled out 4 times with injury, also his opponents pulled out from fights with him twice. This "aldo fought once a year" thing is BS from fans that can't respect injuries.

Cruz is in similar situation and we don't see that happening to him, he can get hurt anytime and sit on the belt again. Aldo was more than a legit champion and probably will be the FW G.O.A.T. For a long time. Not every fghter can afford being KO'd in 13 seconds and still having a gigantic legacy like him.

LOL yea cuz DHK dislocating his shoulder was a tremendous KO.

Most of the fights Aldo was not dominant, he won close fights vs Edgar 1 and Mendes 2, and Hominick beat the shit out of him and almost stopped him in the 5th.
And then we have the Lamas fight.

Those were his notable defenses.

Edgar 2 was not a defense so that fight has no barring on Aldo's championship run.

Let's continue with your dumbassery

You say he only pulled out of 4 fights.
But he's only fought 7 times in the UFC.

Meaning he's pulled out of over 50% of his title fights. And they cancelled a card because of him, and would've cancelled another one if Conor didn't step up and accept a late replacement.

Ya goof!

Conor & Aldo 0% fault. I can possibly accept your rational that RDA was not 100% at fault given Dana's roll in the failure. That said, the WW main event of UFC 196 that we BOTH 100% AGREE was BULLSHIT to make, what is your % of fault dibbied between the "guilty parties" in you opinion.

Lol, we are most certainly not in agreement. The RDA fight shouldn't have been made in the first place.

LOL yea cuz DHK dislocating his shoulder was a tremendous KO.
Dong Hyun Kim ? Stun Gun or Maestro ? cause none of them fought Aldo.

You're trying to pass as if you know what you're talking about but arguing against facts isn't the only proof you don't have a clue about it. I bet my ass you started in MMA because of Brock, Ronda or Conor.

I can't take you seriously, you can't hide your bias and everything you say, Conor said first. learn to think by yourself and not replicate whatever point of view the man you jerk off to at night has.

You said he did not have exciting fights, i gave you FACTS to prove he had and you're still giving opinions, OPINIONS.

Fights that ended in stoppages and got Fight of the Night/Year bonuses and you're pushing your LOL NOT EXCITING bullshit. The FACTS prove he was exciting and his 18 fights undefeated run proves he was dominant, you're not going to be right in this discussion no matter how hard you try, many people INSIDE MMA and many fighters already credit him that, who the fuck are you to disagree with them ?

This mindset that seems to be the absolute norm among UFC fans is for all intent and purpose "alien" to me!

I strongly feel that the Champion in each division HAS proven his or herself making it to the :top"! I also feel even more strongly that the top 15 ranked contenders in the WC "should be" the men and women required to "prove" themselves as worthy of a title shot.

One thing that CANNOT be disputed is the uproar anytime a title shot is handed out in any of the deepest UFC weightclass divisions.

Currently, the prohibitive vast majority of the UFC fans are up in arms anytime two top 15 ranked fighters in a WC square off, as it potentially derails one of the two "contenders". I cannot explain the confused look on my face at this mindset. That is ENTIRELY what ALL top 15 ranked fighters SHOULD be doing, AND doing it MORE FREQUENTLY then the Champion of the division is defending the belt. Zero kidding, with this argument, what the P.V.M. of UFC fans are clamoring for is that NO top contender EVER fight against another top contender "risking" loosing ranking, and instead do not fight other ranked fighter in the WC holding onto said ranking biding their time for their shot, and at best taking a fight against an unranked can to remain "fresh"?

Yes, McGregor is probably the biggest mystery to me on this topic. I am the biggest etched in concrete factual statistical analyst on this site, and the furthest thing from a fighter nuthugger here on Sherdog.

Here are the hard core FACTS from the UFC 2016 FTW & LW divisions.

Summaries:
- Of the top 15 ranked FTW UFC fighters, only 3 have faced over one "other" top 15 ranked UFC fighter in their WC so far in 2016:
A. Frankie Edgar has two 2016 UFC fights against top 15 ranked UFC FTW's and is 1 - 1 win loss record.
B. Ricardo Lamas has two 2016 UFC fights against top 15 ranked UFC FTW's and is 1 - 1 win loss record.
C. Jeremy Stephens has two 2016 UFC fights against top 15 ranked UFC FTW's and is 1 - 1 win loss record.
D. Seven top 15 ranked UFC FTW contenders have not faced another ranked UFC FTW in 2016 thus far!
E. The remaining five top 15 ranked fighters have faced exactly 1 top 15 ranked UFC FTW opponent in 2016.
F. Note One of these fighters was Charles Oliveira (also sporting his 4th missed weight bout in the UFC!!!!)

- Of the top 15 ranked LW UFC fighters, only 4 have faced over one "other" top 15 ranked UFC fighter in their WC so far in 2016:
A. Eddie Alverez is the ONLY current non-champion with 3 UFC fights vs. other ranked UFC LW's. He is 2-1 in these three, however 2 of the 3 fights WAS with him as champion. (Therefore he really does NOT qualify as a UFC contender that fights other contenders in the WC. This is further proof that THE ONLY ranked UFC fighter expected to fight IS the Champion, and allowing ALL contenders to finger pop themselves without losing ranking!)
B. RDA has fought two top 15 ranked UFC lightweights in 2016 and has a 0 - 2 record to show for it!
C. Edson Barboza is BY FAR the most "successful" active ranked non-champion LW. A MAJOR two contender contests and a 2 - 0 record in them puts him head and antlers above the rest of the WC in defending "ranking"!! I have NEVER heard anyone attempt to make a case that the ONLY ranked UFC lightweight contender NOT finger popping themselves in 2016 to maintain their ranking actually has earned the next title shot at the UFC LW belt!
D. Five top 15 ranked UFC LW contenders have not faced another ranked UFC FTW in 2016 thus far!
E. The remaining six top 15 ranked fighters have faced exactly 1 top 15 ranked UFC FTW opponent in 2016.

OK, absolute proof of activity among the contenders. Here are the details:

................................Featherweight............................... UFC FTW............Vs top 15................2016 W - L Vs.
Rank........................Fighter................. 2016 UFC fights..2016 fights..Ranked UFC FTW'S..top 15 ranked opp
Champ Champion : Conor McGregor......... 3.......................0...........................0
1............................. Jose Aldo......................1...................... 1.......................... 1
2............................. Frankie Edgar.............. 2...................... 2.......................... 2............................... 1 - 1
3............................. Max Holloway............... 1...................... 1.......................... 1
4............................. Ricardo Lamas............ 2...................... 2.......................... 2............................... 1 - 1
5............................. Cub Swanson.............. 2...................... 2.......................... 0
6............................. Anthony Pettis...............3...................... 1.......................... 1
7..............................Jeremy Stephens......... 2...................... 2.......................... 2............................... 1 - 1
8............................. Charles Oliveira............ 2...................... 0.......................... 1
9............................. Dennis Bermudez......... 2...................... 2.......................... 0
10........................... Brian Ortega................. 2.......................2........................... 0
11........................... Yair Rodriguez.............. 2...................... 2........................... 0
12........................... Darren Elkins................ 2...................... 2........................... 0
13........................... Mirsad Bektic................ 1...................... 1............................0
14........................... Dooho Choi................... 1.......................1........................... 0
15........................... Renan Barao................. 2...................... 2...........................1

................................Lightweight............................... UFC LW............Vs top 15................2016 W - L Vs.
Rank........................Fighter................. 2016 UFC fights..2016 fights..Ranked UFC LW'S..top 15 ranked opp
Champ Champion : Conor McGregor............. 3.................... 1........................... 1
1.............................. Khabib Nurmagomedov.. 2.................... 2........................... 1
2.............................. Tony Ferguson................ 2.................... 2........................... 1
3.............................. Eddie Alvarez.................. 3.................... 3........................... 3............................... 2 - 1
4.............................. Rafael Dos Anjos............ 2.................... 2............................ 2.............................. 0 - 2
5.............................. Nate Diaz........................ 2.................... 0............................ 0
6.............................. Edson Barboza............... 2.................... 2............................ 2.............................. 2 - 0
7.............................. Michael Johnson............. 2.................... 2............................ 2.............................. 1 - 1
8.............................. Michael Chiesa................ 1................... 1............................ 1
9.............................. Beneil Dariush................. 3....................3............................ 1
10............................ Donald Cerrone............... 3................... 0............................ 0
11............................ Dustin Poirier................... 3................... 3............................ 1
12............................ Gilbert Melendez...............1................... 1............................ 1
13............................ Francisco Trinaldo........... 3................... 3............................ 0
14............................ Evan Dunham...................1................... 1............................ 0
15............................. Al Iaquinta........................ 0................... 0............................ 0

I am simply supplying MMA/ UFC fans with statistical facts and presenting them in a means to provide an alternate perspective of the relationship of fighter activity within a WC between the Champion and their contenders.

Again, I stress that prohibitive extreme vast majority of UFC fans here on Sherdog hold a 180 degree different opinion than myself. I would like to hear your rational for not believing that contenders should be required to fight as often as the champions to remain ranked, and in contention for ANY title shot possibility.

Honestly, even if your rational is nothing more than "you" as a UFC fan strongly prefer the 180 degree opposite (as an "ideal") of the UFC champion fighting one time per month, and facing the #1 ranked UFC contender in the WC in January, and face the next 11 on the January 1 ranking in the WC one each month until the division (top 12) is cleared out by December.
Holy shit didn't fucking read and I advise the same to everyone who is not suicidal.

I stopped reading at your facts, but I'm with you. I think less title fights(and bigger championship purses) would be great.

Unfortunately the belt is often the biggest draw in the division, more than the fighters. If the FW(or w/e) fighters are not drawing, you gotta pimp that shiny belt to keep interest.

the belt has to be defended, you can't hold it up just because fighter A has "earned it." No fighter is bigger than the belt and there are always challengers coming up that have earned their shot as well. In boxing if you don't defend in a timely manner the belt is stripped.

Dong Hyun Kim ? Stun Gun or Maestro ? cause none of them fought Aldo.

You're trying to pass as if you know what you're talking about but arguing against facts isn't the only proof you don't have a clue about it. I bet my ass you started in MMA because of Brock, Ronda or Conor.

I can't take you seriously, you can't hide your bias and everything you say, Conor said first. learn to think by yourself and not replicate whatever point of view the man you jerk off to at night has.

You said he did not have exciting fights, i gave you FACTS to prove he had and you're still giving opinions, OPINIONS.

Fights that ended in stoppages and got Fight of the Night/Year bonuses and you're pushing your LOL NOT EXCITING bullshit. The FACTS prove he was exciting and his 18 fights undefeated run proves he was dominant, you're not going to be right in this discussion no matter how hard you try, many people INSIDE MMA and many fighters already credit him that, who the fuck are you to disagree with them ?

LOL, Aldo has had 7 title defenses, you were able to actually reference 2 of those defenses, because KZ wasn't KO'D he was injured.

And that's out of 7 defenses.

I'm not bias, your missing the entire point that I'm making.

Aldo is not overly exciting, if his opponent doesn't push the pace he's fine coasting to a decision, as most counter punchers do.

Which isn't his fault either, FW had been a pretty weak division.

Either way, Aldo pulling out of 50% of his fights, having exciting fights 50% of the time, and only fighting once a year is why he only draws 180k ppv, when he shoukd be drawing 500k+

And please don't tell me about how much he's done. Conor already has more UFC fights then Aldo, has never pulled out of a fight, and has accepted late replacement bouts to save cards, because he appreciate his fans.

When obvious, without-a-doubt, legit contenders spring up the champion has a responsibility to defend the title against that person. Taking 6 month breaks, fighting outside of the division multiple times against journeymen and going for multiple titles is unfair to other fighters who worked their way to a title match, especially when the current champion leap frogged everyone and was gifted a title shot in the first place.

#10 to 15 at FW division has been there for a short time, you can't demand them very much

Back