Why do they say boxing has a clinch when everything about it is illegal (holding, punching, etc)

Because they want to see people box and swing at each other. They don't want to see this
giphy.gif

No skills involved.

If people were allowed to clinch they would develope skills. Frye and Takyama probably never trained clinch boxing so how would they have skills. It shoudl absolutely be legal. if you wanna see skill watch Hopkins or Ward holding and hitting. Watch Ward vs Edward Rodriguez a super dirty fight and a really fun fight at least for the first half or so.
Or in MMA Daniel Cormier in almost all of his fights. Or Randy Couture

They probably did away witht he clinch because it's boring if there is a lot of clinching but with modern refs who break at the wrong points and allow hugging but not inside fighting it's better to just allow clinching. Holding and htiting should be legal one of the things I really wanna see changed in boxing.

If people were allowed to clinch they would develope skills. Frye and Takyama probably never trained clinch boxing so how would they have skills. It shoudl absolutely be legal. if you wanna see skill watch Hopkins or Ward holding and hitting. Watch Ward vs Edward Rodriguez a super dirty fight and a really fun fight at least for the first half or so.
Or in MMA Daniel Cormier in almost all of his fights. Or Randy Couture

They probably did away witht he clinch because it's boring if there is a lot of clinching but with modern refs who break at the wrong points and allow hugging but not inside fighting it's better to just allow clinching. Holding and htiting should be legal one of the things I really wanna see changed in boxing.
they should allow the backfist also

they should allow the backfist also

Absolutely. I think the reason for that is that there is less padding but really it isnt that much less and I highly doubt it makes a big difference also you can't generate as much power with a backfist anyway. Unless it#s a spinning backfist.....which should also be legal.....se my username. The pivot punch used to be legal until some guy knocked out a favourite after being on his way to lose so apparently fans were pissed and the rules were changed.

I've seen it theorized that part of the reason that the backfist is banned is because a backfist followed up by a hook can put a sever amount of stress on the neck, but I don't know for certain.

Is pushing someone out of a clinch allowed? Foreman did that costantly, yet was never warned or had points deducted.

Pushing isn't generally allowed. However, some referees aren't strict on how you establish space if someone is constantly crowding you.

The clinch in boxing is used primarily to pause the action like someone already mentioned before me, but the clinching itself IMO is an art in itself. Trapping or pinning of the hands to create openings, holding while punching and get away with it, I think that itself is a skill and it is absolutely beautiful to watch.

There's an excellent film study about it on Youtube. Featuring of course, the one and only Roberto Duran.

Duran should have been penalized no?

I've seen it theorized that part of the reason that the backfist is banned is because a backfist followed up by a hook can put a sever amount of stress on the neck, but I don't know for certain.

Lol:

chris-weidman-anderson-silva-knockout-gif.gif

L
Absolutely. I think the reason for that is that there is less padding but really it isnt that much less and I highly doubt it makes a big difference also you can't generate as much power with a backfist anyway. Unless it#s a spinning backfist.....which should also be legal.....se my username. The pivot punch used to be legal until some guy knocked out a favourite after being on his way to lose so apparently fans were pissed and the rules were changed.
do you have a vid of the pivot punch?

Duran should have been penalized no?

I would think so, yes! Although he does it very well and smoothly transitions between positions effortlessly that it isn't as elaborate and clear when viewed in real time.

L
do you have a vid of the pivot punch?

A lot of people are confused on the issue of what a "pivot punch" is and why it's illegal. The illegal "pivot punch" refers to hitting someone with your forearms rather than fists.

There is a legal pivot punch which is merely punching someone while or after pivoting with your foot, as Mayweather did to Ricky Hatton in that popular .gif of his. Pivoting with your footwork is more than permitted, it's encouraged.

I don't think there is it was banned ages ago there are just articles and stories if you google it
now that reyes has explained it to me I can say roy jones junior basically did it to Calzaghe.

A lot of people are confused on the issue of what a "pivot punch" is and why it's illegal. The illegal "pivot punch" refers to hitting someone with your forearms rather than fists.

There is a legal pivot punch which is merely punching someone while or after pivoting with your foot, as Mayweather did to Ricky Hatton in that popular .gif of his. Pivoting with your footwork is more than permitted, it's encouraged.

I understood it as a spinning backfist (or even forward spin?) As far as I understand it has little to do with a nor mal pivot in today's boxing but was a real 360 spin

https://commandoboxing.com/content/pivot-blow

The pivot blow is a right thrown after a complete turn/pivot on heel of one foot. The boxer turns completely around often delivering it like a backhand, or even an elbow. Basically, tremendous force is generated from the acceleration of the spinning motion and their is very little control - they just let it swing.

@Jimmy Jazz

Clinch is key to positioning your opponent, one of the things we're frequently taught is to clinch and turn your opponent so they are re-positioned towards the ropes.

Clinch is key to positioning your opponent, one of the things we're frequently taught is to clinch and turn your opponent so they are re-positioned towards the ropes.
interesting that your taught clinch work, not a lot of gyms teach it properly. do you have pros at your gym? clinching used to be a massive part of boxing. all the old school boxers used to use the waist grab to turn their opponent on to the fence.

It's basically leftover fragments from when wrestling and trips/throws were allowed and part of the boxing ruleset in the old days.

I'm glad they eventually separated it from boxing so the striking aspect could continue to be refined and given full focus, but if one truly wants to be an excellent and effective overall fighter (outside the boxing ring), its a great idea to re-incorporate wrestling into one's abilities.

Back