Why do sumos focus on building weight instead of muscle?

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
yokozuna-hakuho.jpg
]
asashoryu5.jpg

Why not focus on building strength instead and developing powerlifter/strongman builds

1437393230826.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

why focus on gaining weight? shouldn't they focus on building strength?

They are pretty strong behind the fat. I also don't think that roids are as prevelant in Sumo circles, honor and all that, but I wouldn't know. Roids are pretty much the only way you can look like the big PL'ers/Strongmen.

With that in mind, weight matters a lot in Sumo and with the cultural aspect they revere being fat. It's a sign og wealth and prosperity (nevermind being unhealthy).

Last edited:
Sumo is a sport riddled with tradition at every level. It is a sport of ritual that often considers it's competitors the last samurai in existence. As such sumo stables, diet, and training are slow to change. Add to this no competitive incentive to be lean in a sport with no weight classes, and you get the modern sumo body type.

It's much like why most football linemen aren't bodybuilder lean. It's because carrying extra mass makes it harder for an opponent to move them.

But @Cmart, muscledevelopment.com says I can be 300 lbs and shredded.

Learn you some!

was Chinyonofuji good or was he just an average sumo?
Only one of the greatest rikishi of all time. 1045 career wins (the record at the time, current record is 1047), 31 career championships, and 6 undefeated championship playoffs.

Neither of your examples look fat.

They are pretty strong behind the fat. I also don't think that roids are as prevelant in Sumo circles, honor and all that, but I wouldn't know. Roids are pretty much the only way you can look like the big PL'ers/Strongmen.

With that in mind, weight matters a lot in Sumo and with the cultural aspect they revere being fat. It's a sign og wealth and prosperity (nevermind being unhealthy).

I heard that steroids are a controversial thing in sumo right now. I highly doubt they have USADA testing so I could imagine a ton of them being on PEDs.

I thought that myself and it's probably tradition. And yeah some aren't that fat and there are much much fatter Sumo's than the pics posted here

Let's get some real sumo physiques in here:

maxresdefault.jpg

yama-2.jpg

MTV+TRL+Presents+Miley+Cyrus+John+Legend+k4CoyOWKlDzl.jpg

Only one of the greatest rikishi of all time. 1045 career wins (the record at the time, current record is 1047), 31 career championships, and 6 undefeated championship playoffs.
What a badass, thanks.

Because Sumo already have those powerlifter bodies for strength, then add fat onto them to make themselves that much heavier.

With a quick weight cut, a couple tattoos and some time with a hair stylist, and the average Sumo is going to look like your average powerlifter.

Also, let's bring back this:

I heard that steroids are a controversial thing in sumo right now. I highly doubt they have USADA testing so I could imagine a ton of them being on PEDs.

I thought that myself and it's probably tradition. And yeah some aren't that fat and there are much much fatter Sumo's than the pics posted here

- They could just pay USADA to let then pass.
Usada can catch some guys now and them to pretend they`re doing their work, just like other Usada client`s doo.

Some people will eat that.

914WAp4wCIL._SL1500_.jpg

Back