Why do some say Sanchai > Samart?

Just about every Thai I ask, who do they consider the best ever, say Sakmongkol.

Just about every Thai I ask, who do they consider the best ever, say Sakmongkol.
I got to shake his hand it was like it was carved out of stone. I couldn't imagine getting punched by that guy, let alone kicked.

Also reflecting on this thread, Samart does not have better kicks than Saenchai that's laughable. He's a better Boxer, that's it.

I got to shake his hand it was like it was carved out of stone. I couldn't imagine getting punched by that guy, let alone kicked.

Also reflecting on this thread, Samart does not have better kicks than Saenchai that's laughable. He's a better Boxer, that's it.

WAY better boxer.

Coca makes a good argument but imo it's hard to compare them without having a firm grasp of 80s muay thai and the different fighters that samart beat. We have a fairly limited amount of prime samart footage, most of what we've seen was around the tail end of his career. Even in Saenchai's case there are a lot of fights we haven't seen of his.

Deiselnoi is the best Nakmuay of Samart's era...

I don't see how you can say that with any confidence.

At the time they fought Samart would seem to have been the more highly regarded of the two. Apparently he gave up 3kgs, which is huge, and was coming up to 132lbs which was a couple weight classes above where he'd been fighting.

I'm not sure whether we have enough footage or written reports of that era to even conclude that Dieselnoi was any greater than some of his best contemporaries. It's difficult to say what these fights mean to a career without knowing the respective weights and overall context of the fights, but he traded wins and loses with Vicharnoi, Sakad, Kaopong, etc.

Coca makes a good argument but imo it's hard to compare them without having a firm grasp of 80s muay thai and the different fighters that samart beat. We have a fairly limited amount of prime samart footage, most of what we've seen was around the tail end of his career. Even in Saenchai's case there are a lot of fights we haven't seen of his.
I think if we had more footage of Samart, it might make some people regard him differently. It's easy to romanticize how great someone's career was, when you don't have any footage and can just let you imagination fill in the blanks.

But I think that your point about ranking careers from the 80's is well taken. We have almost no footage and very few English language reports from 1980-1988 or so. I can't feel at all secure in evaluating the career of someone who, predominantly, fought during that time. So I'm always taken aback, when people assert with great confidence that someone from that era is greater than some other great fighter. Some people on here must know something I don't.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can say that with any confidence.

At the time they fought Samart would seem to have been the more highly regarded of the two. Apparently he gave up 3kgs, which is huge, and was coming up to 132lbs which was a couple weight classes above where he'd been fighting.

I'm not sure whether we have enough footage or written reports of that era to even conclude that Dieselnoi was any greater than some of his best contemporaries. It's difficult to say what these fights mean to a career without knowing the respective weights and overall context of the fights, but he traded wins and loses with Vicharnoi, Sakad, Kaopong, etc.
Fair enough that's all second hand information I'm not willing to bet my life on. It's certainly arguable that he's greater however. The point was more in line with having great Boxing doesn't necessarily make you the greater Nakmuay and that point still stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back