Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

Lol I have a family, work full time 50-60hrs 5 days week, lift and grapple 3x a week.
I don't care if you have excuses my point is there's allot of people who BELIEVE there is zero benefit to lifting that's a common misconception found in the bjj community.

I'm talking about the bjj hipsters that show up on their Longboard smelling like some skunky weed claiming lifting holds no benefit to bjj... it's like bjj hispters
I don't know where you live, but at the four gyms that I have trained at I have not encountered anyone saying that lifting weights holds no benefit. I've also never seen a hippy longboard to class stoned, though. You in California?

I, personally, don't lift because I think it's boring. When I get motivated to do strength training for a few months (I never seem to stick with it longer than that) I do legs and lower back with weights. For everything else I prefer calisthenics because they're more fun.

Well if you wrestled, then most likely you have more grappling experience so it makes sense your better. The way you worded that, seems like you are saying that strength matters more than wrestling experience for the control?
My og post litterally says grappling is obviously primary
Well here's the difference 5 years of wrestling by default means 5 years of strength training.
5 years of bjj doesn't necessarily mean 5 years of strength training.

Strength is a huge factor in control. once you reach a certain understanding of the sport, the machine you are running becomes big factor, and can become a deciding factor in a match

I don't know where you live, but at the four gyms that I have trained at I have not encountered anyone saying that lifting weights holds no benefit. I've also never seen a hippy longboard to class stoned, though. You in California?
Close South Florida

My og post litterally says grappling is obviously primary
Well here's the difference 5 years of wrestling by default means 5 years of strength training.
5 years of bjj doesn't necessarily mean 5 years of strength training.

5 years of wrestling also means 5 years of grappling, why are you continuing to act like the strength is the difference in controlling the position instead of the actual grappling? Are you saying that wrestling is all based upon strength?

Seems like a lot of people think that lifting will negatively affect their flexibility

5 years of wrestling also means 5 years of grappling, why are you continuing to act like the strength is the difference in controlling the position instead of the actual grappling? Are you saying that wrestling is all based upon strength?
Lol you guys are soo insecure you need me to remind you every post that grappling is more important than strength?
And strength usually is the difference in controlling the position when that strength is applied in the correct manner.
The stronger you are for a weight class the more you will be able to impose and control and the harder you will be to control point blank, don't know what you're trying to argue when my main post litterally settles your insecurities

I feel much better overall since I started lifting.. granted, I'm not doing any HEAVY lifting of sort, but I feel like the basic stuff I'm doing is keeping my body tighter compared to the past..

Well cool, obviously not a fruitful discussion. Have a good time training man.

I feel much better overall since I started lifting.. granted, I'm not doing any HEAVY lifting of sort, but I feel like the basic stuff I'm doing is keeping my body tighter compared to the past..
There we go some positivity in this thread.
This is what I'm talking about many of the people claiming (grapple 7 days a week) are apart of the problem, they will all be injury prone and have Inbalances.
Keep lifting in the long run the machine you are creating will allow you to get more out of your training sessions.
Well cool, obviously not a fruitful discussion. Have a good time training man.
Lol I'm just getting annoyed at everybody acting like I said only lifting weights is the key to being a dominant grappler when my original post litterally contradicts that, and I already had 3 other people trying to put words in my mouth.

My point is very simple not allot of people lift in bjj compared to wrestling, sambo, mma ect when I think it's just as applicable.

I don't disagree with the stance that lifting can benefit grappling, I don't think that's anything that anybody would argue. I've never heard anybody talk down strong guys or strength training on the mats.

I just believe in that scenario, the wrestler beats up the hypothetical oss fuck boy, because he was a wrestler and not specifically because of the strength training. A wrestler can give a grappler fits, even if the grappler follows the same S&C program as the wrestler. That was my main point, which might have been divergent of the original post.

I don't disagree with the stance that lifting can benefit grappling, I don't think that's anything that anybody would argue. I've never heard anybody talk down strong guys or strength training on the mats.

I just believe in that scenario, the wrestler beats up the hypothetical oss fuck boy, because he was a wrestler and not specifically because of the strength training. A wrestler can give a grappler fits, even if the grappler follows the same S&C program as the wrestler. That was my main point, which might have been divergent of the original post.
Yea I agree the wrestling experience is the main factor.
A large point though is that strength is extremely important in wrestling, that's litterally all you do during the off season and even during the season.
Example kid I used to wrestle would cut to 163lbs and he was extremely strong for the weight class stronger than me and I was a cutting to get to 77kg.
He beat seniors who were more technical in his weigh class with very basic technique, it does happen.

Yea I agree the wrestling experience is the main factor.
A large point though is that strength is extremely important in wrestling, that's litterally all you do during the off season and even during the season.
Example kid I used to wrestle would cut to 163lbs and he was extremely strong for the weight class stronger than me and I was a cutting to get to 77kg.
He beat seniors who were more technical in his weigh class with very basic technique, it does happen.

Or its a matter of bread and butter techniques working. Many confuse using a lot of techniques with being technical.

Lol you guys are soo insecure you need me to remind you every post that grappling is more important than strength?
And strength usually is the difference in controlling the position when that strength is applied in the correct manner.
The stronger you are for a weight class the more you will be able to impose and control and the harder you will be to control point blank, don't know what you're trying to argue when my main post litterally settles your insecurities
I would very much disagree with this. Controlling position, in wrestling, is predicated much more on leverage than on strength. The guys with the most leverage are the ones who are the tallest, which means they have less muscle mass and less strength in general. Bursts of power can get in and out of positions much more effectively than leverage, but power doesnt hold a candle to controlling position like leverage does.

Technique and steroids are all you need. OSS

In my opinion, the biggest reason BJJ players (even hobbiests) should lift is injury prevention. I don’t lift as heavy as I used to, but I still lift now for knee, hip and shoulder health and to prevent muscular imbalances from grappling. That and increased grip strength.

That's debatable I know for a fact I been lifting for 5 years that had I not lifted I would get my ass kicked by my current self.
It all depends on your style If your a lanky guy and just like to throw triangles up from guard then I can see why lifting may not appeal to you, but for my personal style strength is a staple and it transfers over to a fight better vs just a training session where you're not trying to jerk around and just be smooth and technical.

I hope you're no higher than a blue belt. I control guys a lot bigger and stronger than me all the time and never lift. In fact they even say "wow I didn't expect you to be so strong" umm im not. I just know what im doing

I would very much disagree with this. Controlling position, in wrestling, is predicated much more on leverage than on strength. The guys with the most leverage are the ones who are the tallest, which means they have less muscle mass and less strength in general. Bursts of power can get in and out of positions much more effectively than leverage, but power doesnt hold a candle to controlling position like leverage does.
All you said is being tall gives you mechanical leverages in certain positions (not all)
that doesn't mean strength does play a large factor in control because it does.

Back