Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

I like lifting, but its efficiency relative to improving grappling is pretty low for most people, unless you hit the juice.

If you are training grappling full time, it’s more beneficial to include significant non-grappling training, since your grappling time is already so high each week. For most people, however, not only is lifting not fun, the same amount of extra effort put into training more grappling instead will give better results overall .. particularly given that you have weight classes, and adding weight isn’t necessarily advantageous in competition.

I grapple because it is fun. Lifting is not fun (for me) so I don't do it. If I want to improve my grappling without rolling more I will do yoga before lifting.

I lifted for years. I want to get back to it. I think being strong is beneficial but I'm either lazy or my time is precious to me. I train at least 3 times a week, more if I'm lucky.

I haven't lifted serious weights in a few years. I loved it. I was deadlifting around 400# and squatting around 350. I was big. While that was fun my joints hurt a lot and I was younger. I'm in my 40s. I use a kettle bell and body weights now.

For me personally it's both a time issue and lack of interest.

Lost count of how many times I joined a gym to weight lift but got so bored.

Right now with a full time job and two kids just making it to BJJ class every day is a challenge. Any more than that and my wife will divorce me. No joke.

its already impressive that you manage to train every day. Same situation as you, I can hardly train 3 times a week and a short running session or lifting at home once in the Weekend, snd still its challenging
My second one is only 8months, might be slightly easier in a few years

its already impressive that you manage to train every day. Same situation as you, I can hardly train 3 times a week and a short running session or lifting at home once in the Weekend, snd still its challenging
My second one is only 8months, might be slightly easier in a few years

I hear you man. The only reason I'm able to is my work, home and bjj gym are all 10 minutes away from each other (and my home is right in the middle of both). I interviewed for s new job and if get it I doubt I'll be able to make the noon classes anymore and then I'll probably only go 3 times a week too.

Sucks but that's life once you have kids and a family.

I hear you man. The only reason I'm able to is my work, home and bjj gym are all 10 minutes away from each other (and my home is right in the middle of both). I interviewed for s new job and if get it I doubt I'll be able to make the noon classes anymore and then I'll probably only go 3 times a week too.

Sucks but that's life once you have kids and a family.

Yep family gives new perspectives on the word time

We all know BJJ is free of steroids, just look at the heavyweight division 100% natural.

That's debatable I know for a fact I been lifting for 5 years that had I not lifted I would get my ass kicked by my current self.
It all depends on your style If your a lanky guy and just like to throw triangles up from guard then I can see why lifting may not appeal to you, but for my personal style strength is a staple and it transfers over to a fight better vs just a training session where you're not trying to jerk around and just be smooth and technical.

No, sorry. It's not debatable in the least.

Say a set of twins starts training. Twin A trains 6 days per week for 90 min per class (9 hours a week). Twin B trains 4.5 hours of BJJ, and 4.5 hours of lifting.

Twin A will easily destroy Twin B in a competition matchup 9/10 times after probably 2 years of training. By 3-4 years I'd say 10/10 times. It's not even close. There is no argument here.

Now say Twin A cuts back to 5x a week and adds lifting? A different story.

Lifting is great and it will add a lot of benefits to your training. It will improve the quality of your training and reduce the chances of injury. But it will not make you better. Only mat time makes you better.

I bet a guy who trains 6x a week will be much better at bjj than the guy who trains 3x and lifts 3x if similar size athletic abilities. The longer it goes on for the bigger the gap will get.

Say a set of twins starts training. Twin A trains 6 days per week for 90 min per class (9 hours a week). Twin B trains 4.5 hours of BJJ, and 4.5 hours of lifting.

Twin A will easily destroy Twin B in a competition matchup 9/10 times after probably 2 years of training. By 3-4 years I'd say 10/10 times. It's not even close. There is no argument here.

Lifting is great and it will add a lot of benefits to your training. It will improve the quality of your training and reduce the chances of injury. But it will not make you better. Only mat time makes you better.

Are you assuming any increase in the size of Twin B due to lifting? If so, how much weight gain ralative to Twin A?

Lifting is boring and really leaves me drained so I don’t do it. I prefer to train grappling/striking seven days a week instead.

If you add 50-100 pounds to any major compound lift you will indirectly make your body a stronger version of it's former self that couldn't handle/lift that 100lbs more.
It makes you stronger overall

Lol that was a joke I put.

Well anyway.. If you have the same technical level in Bjj...then the stronger person got the edge... So yes all competitors do lift weight and/or do some kind extra conditioning like cross fit etc.. If you have not rolled wit these Bjj specimens. Then you are training with hobbiest which is cool but not the true image or reflection of Bjj athletes.

Now can I just go back to my acai and coconut water and Bjj?

because too many bjj guys today are too busy curling there beards

When i stopped lifting weights my jiu jitsu skyrocketed, and i used to do only 1-2 exercises every week.
Those huge quads and butt cheeks from powerlifting aren't good for jiu jtisu, rope climbs and gi pull ups are perfect for every grappling sport.

Strength is important, but not how many people think about it. BJJ is comprised mostly of isometric holds or positions, squeezing, holding, gripping, keeping posture. Not a whole lot of dynamic strength. You hear the same arguments that you would be better if you could squat 100 more lbs than if you couldnt. The thing is, you would be 5x better if you could climb a 25 foot rope without your legs than if you could squat 500lbs. You would be much better if you could tear a phone book in half than if you could powerclean 300lbs.

It is the same with being fast. Speed means absolutely nothing in BJJ. Quickness means everything. Both are measures of being fast, one is much more important. Strength is the same way.

When i stopped lifting weights my jiu jitsu skyrocketed, and i used to do only 1-2 exercises every week.
Those huge quads and butt cheeks from powerlifting aren't good for jiu jtisu, rope climbs and gi pull ups are perfect for every grappling sport.
Strong glutes/legs crucial for bridging and creating space against a heavier opponent if you're stuck.

Actually it's completely debatable considering your whole analogy is opinionated.
More bjj will make you more technically proficient at bjj but it won't make you the better overall grappler, proof is the girls or skinny guys that been doing bjj for years longer than me (brown belts), are you telling me you never rolled with someone who wasn't very physical and purposely tonned it down a notch but in the back of your head you know you could explode out of everything?
Strength is a massive part of bjj, people talk about grip strength (rope climbs, rope pullups) feel the grip of someone who deadlifts over 400lbs no straps.

Bjj like any other sport athletes will do better and learn faster, just because Charlie has been playing basketball for 4 years doesn't mean he has a better jumpshot than David, who became more proficient in the jumpshot in two years.
It all depends on the person but everyone would benefit from being strong.

There's too many bjj hipsters greasing their beards, riding longboards claiming lifting weights holds no benefit that's my point, obviously bjj should be first, but strength is crucial that's not debatable
I like lifting, but its efficiency relative to improving grappling is pretty low for most people, unless you hit the juice.

If you are training grappling full time, it’s more beneficial to include significant non-grappling training, since your grappling time is already so high each week. For most people, however, not only is lifting not fun, the same amount of extra effort put into training more grappling instead will give better results overall .. particularly given that you have weight classes, and adding weight isn’t necessarily advantageous in competition.
I agree however I have rolled with 155lbs guys that are weak and 155lbs guys that are strong and the difference is massive, those guys would be in the same weight class.
Training like I do a modified 5x5 dropping down to heavy sets of 3 will yeild very little mass gain more so strength.

Last edited:
I love lifting, almost as much as rolling but since I have bad knees, elbows and shoulders all from bjj, I can’t lift.

I've lifted on and off throughout my life.

It definitely helps with BJJ. That being said, a lot of other things help too. So the question is less does lifting help at all and more is lifting the most efficient use of your time.

Right now I am lifting after my BJJ training sessions, but it hasn't always been that way. At the moment I think I'm getting a good return on the extra 30-45 minutes or so I spend each session.

But if my cardio was worse off, I might get better return from extra cardio work. If I were having mobility issues maybe Yoga would help me most. For technical skill I could just drill the extra 30-45 minutes even on a dummy if everyone else had left by then.

Or I could just go home to my family 30-45 minutes earlier. That helps things too.

It's a balancing act. It shouldn't be a surprise that different people are balancing in different ways. So not everyone is going to be lifting all the time.

I love lifting, almost as much as rolling but since I have bad knees, elbows and shoulders all from bjj, I can’t lift.
Damn bro that sucks, I seem to be holding up pretty well but I'm not even 25, I get some tendonitis in my wrist that flares up after grappling however it's pretty minor and goes away quickly.

I've lifted on and off throughout my life.

It definitely helps with BJJ. That being said, a lot of other things help too. So the question is less does lifting help at all and more is lifting the most efficient use of your time.

Right now I am lifting after my BJJ training sessions, but it hasn't always been that way. At the moment I think I'm getting a good return on the extra 30-45 minutes or so I spend each session.

But if my cardio was worse off, I might get better return from extra cardio work. If I were having mobility issues maybe Yoga would help me most. For technical skill I could just drill the extra 30-45 minutes even on a dummy if everyone else had left by then.

Or I could just go home to my family 30-45 minutes earlier. That helps things too.

It's a balancing act. It shouldn't be a surprise that different people are balancing in different ways. So not everyone is going to be lifting all the time.
I agree 100 percent, my point was to people claiming the strength achieved from lifting free weights isn't transferable to grappling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back