Why do so many high profile fights get cancelled?

Sherwolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Yet another cancellation of a high profile fight with Cyborg and Megan. What is it about UFC fighters, more so than any other combat sport or any sport, that mostly the higher profile athletes are getting injured so close to their fight? This wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport that relied on it's athletes for star power and to attract fans to watch in person and tv. What kind of changes need to be made to lessen this issue? Seems to happen about 25-35% of the the time.This shit is annoying! Thoughts?

MMA fighters train harder, not smarter for high profile fights, overtrain and get injured constantly.

It is the fight game. Injuries happen and are going to happen.

Because everyone's afraid to lose. It's not like Pride, where putting on a good fight counted for something. They're all worried about their status if they lose. That's why so many play it safe in the UFC.

I don't t get it either. They rarely cancelled big boxing fights back in the day. Er...well, I mean they didn't due to injury....at least not with the frequency UFC seems to.

Normally I would say because macho meathead athletes train stupidly (insert Cain leg extension gif here) , but I think in Megan's case, they are saying it is personal.

Its been happening a lot more often then last 2 years, I have really noticed it. Talk about training all you want but did guys not train a few years ago? o_O . Its happened like 90% more than 2014 - previous years

Guys get hurt all the time. You follow the UFC closely so you notice.
The NFL gives an injury list every week.
Baseball players get hurt all the time.
Tennis players have to withdraw from tournaments

It happens

Injuries most often, maybe it's because they train like savages, maybe it's maybelline.

Higher profile fight means higher risk. A low-ranked fighter will sometimes fight through a serious injury or a personal issue or whatever it is because they need the paycheck and can't just pull out and get a new fight - they could be cut (in the UFC anyway). But champions and well-known fighters have a lot to lose if they're not fighting at close to 100% and they generally can afford to pull out from a fight, so they're more likely to do so in the event of an injury.

was meghan really a high profile fighter? can you call anyone from invicta a high profile fighter?

even cyborg only has like 50k twitter followers. I have friends who have more than that.

TESTIC-300x224.jpeg

Because everyone's afraid to lose. It's not like Pride, where putting on a good fight counted for something. They're all worried about their status if they lose. That's why so many play it safe in the UFC.

What does this have to do with fights being cancelled ? If fighters were " playing it safe ". The fights wouldn't have been signed in the first place.

Because Khabib and Cain are high profile fighters

They're afraid of losing so they find a reason to pull out. Or subconsciously injure themselves knowing it will mean they won't have to fight.

I don't t get it either. They rarely cancelled big boxing fights back in the day. Er...well, I mean they didn't due to injury....at least not with the frequency UFC seems to.
roids

before usada and drug testing in mma in general fighters got injured much less.

this is purely from what I have seen

What does this have to do with fights being cancelled ? If fighters were " playing it safe ". The fights wouldn't have been signed in the first place.

The slightest little boo-boo and they'll pull out rather than risking a loss. Duh

Yet another cancellation of a high profile fight with Cyborg and Megan. What is it about UFC fighters, more so than any other combat sport or any sport, that mostly the higher profile athletes are getting injured so close to their fight? This wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport that relied on it's athletes for star power and to attract fans to watch in person and tv. What kind of changes need to be made to lessen this issue? Seems to happen about 25-35% of the the time.This shit is annoying! Thoughts?
Injuries happen just as frequently in pro football, for example - another brutal contact sport. But that's a team sport, and when a guy gets injured a back-up player can fill in. Lots and lots of injuries in pro football, but the show always goes on because every team has plenty of reserves.

Fighters make more now on average, so they can afford to pull out of fights more. Top guys are less hungry now.

Plus, lots of pressure to be a winner in the UFC/USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back