Why Do Protein Powders Come in Gigantic Containers That Are Only 25% - 33% Full?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
I understand that it's a marketing ploy, but is there any other reason for it? Thanks.

I understand that it's a marketing ploy, but is there any other reason for it? Thanks.
there is no reason. its bullshit to drive up cost. I found allstarhealth.com protein which sells 10 pounds for 60$. Best price on the market, comes in a cardboard box thats full to the top. low carb, low sugar, excellent protein

The protein needs to be able to move and have some 'air'.
Otherwise, when it's hot, the stuff could very easily get stuck on the bottom of your container.

It's like a pack of chips. The extra air keeps the product more fresh and you get less 'broken' chips.
Has nothing to do with cost. That's just demand and supply.

It's obvious, protein = gainz thus they ship in tiny containers but by the time they make it to the shelf the protein has made the container get gainz. <{JustBleed}>

The protein needs to be able to move and have some 'air'.
Otherwise, when it's hot, the stuff could very easily get stuck on the bottom of your container.

It's like a pack of chips. The extra air keeps the product more fresh and you get less 'broken' chips.
Has nothing to do with cost. That's just demand and supply.
I don't believe this, you work for a protein powder company.

Admit it.

who knows? it doesnt matter.

maybe its because every organic compound tend to release some gas as it degradates...it could prevent the plastic containers from bursting

but ive seen some small containers with little space...4+ whey for example

I assume it is because the target consumer has a desire to be huge. Can't get huge buying small containers of the building blocks of muscle.

Stuff in big containers must make you big if you consume it.

Last edited:
I assume it is because the target consumer has a desire to be huge. Can't huge buying small containers of the building blocks of muscle.

Stuff in big containers must make you big if you consume it.
This is my theory as well. Big muscles guy doesn't want to carry a puny container. Also I've noticed vegan protein powder doesn't have the same container size issue - maybe because it's marketed to a different clientele.

This is my theory as well. Big muscles guy doesn't want to carry a puny container. Also I've noticed vegan protein powder doesn't have the same container size issue - maybe because it's marketed to a different clientele.

Probably true - haha.

I buy the vegan powder; that's why I asked the original question. You mean with the non-vegan powder there's even a bigger contrast between container size and content? Wow.

I buy the vegan powder; that's why I asked the original question. You mean with the non-vegan powder there's even a bigger contrast between container size and content? Wow.
It probably depends where you buy it. At a GNC type they might sell the vegan powders in the same size containers because they want to be seen as equal to the others and be appealing to the body builder niche. The vegan protein I saw was purchased at a health food type store and was 80% full.

It probably depends where you buy it. At a GNC type they might sell the vegan powders in the same size containers because they want to be seen as equal to the others and be appealing to the body builder niche. The vegan protein I saw was purchased at a health food type store and was 80% full.
Mine is 33% full at best.

It's obvious, protein = gainz thus they ship in tiny containers but by the time they make it to the shelf the protein has made the container get gainz. <{JustBleed}>
Imma put it on mah D. See me some gainzzz.

One simple solution....You don't need protein supplements <28>

there is no reason. its bullshit to drive up cost. I found allstarhealth.com protein which sells 10 pounds for 60$. Best price on the market, comes in a cardboard box thats full to the top. low carb, low sugar, excellent protein

Which brand?

Back