Why do people watch the Formula one ?

Robert Baratheon

Protector of the Realm.
@Blue
Reaction score
Genuine question, it amazes me the seeming popularity of the F1, but why do people watch it ?

To me i cannot see the appeal? its a rich mans 'sport' with no real balance. the drivers have no real personality or appeal, and the manufactures are just a selection of high end car brands.so what/who do you support the driver or the manufacturer and why ?

N.B it looks terrible to watch live and you can only see a strip of road.

So i ask you my fellow sherdoggers, why do you watch it ? or if you don't, why don't you like it ?

Agreed. Garbage.

Rally gets me going a little though. Can't lie.

I appreciate the skill and danger involved, but I've never watched it because I'm not a Euro sissy. can't imagine it being any worse than NASCAR

I appreciate the skill and danger involved, but I've never watched it because I'm not a Euro sissy. can't imagine it being any worse than NASCAR
To quote a NASCAR driver that did F1... from a viewer perspective he thinks NASCAR would be more fun cause of the crashes, driver fights, and the fact you can see the cars 100% of the time whereas with F1 they used to give awards for most overtakes because people were rarely passing each other and would stay, largely, in the same position for a whole race and you only get to see them on one turn.

Why do people watch auto racing in general?

It's truly baffling to me. Outside of the danger element, and witnessing someone's death, I fail to see any entertainment value whatsoever.

Like any form of racing, or any sport for that matter, it's really only interesting if you know most of the names/personalities involved and understand the sport itself. I was a die-hard NASCAR fan in the '90s, watched every race and any show I could about it. After Dale Earnhardt died I slowly lost interest over the next 10 years to the point that I can't even watch 5 minutes of a race any more. It's just not interesting any more.

Why do people watch auto racing in general?

It's truly baffling to me. Outside of the danger element, and witnessing someone's death, I fail to see any entertainment value whatsoever.
I enjoy drag racing... 300 MPH cars is fun plus the noise.

I have been to a few Monster Truck/Drag races. The noise is no joke. Holy shit.
The best is free access to the pits and walking past a Top Fueler that is doing a run on the rebuilt engine and it just goes off and blasts you with smoke and noise.

Formula One is fun to watch to see how Ferrari will fuck up next.

I never said he was good.....

Montoya won the Indy 500 in his first try. He won the Italian F1 Grand Prix in his first try.

He was good enough to finish 3rd in F1 points twice. In his first season, despite his cars only finishing 6 races, he had 4 top 3 finishes and finished 6th in the championship. He never finished lower than 8th in the F1 championship despite being on lesser teams. He was always in the top half of the F1 teams. Definitely a good driver.

He said he found NASCAR more difficult than F1. He went from NASCAR back to Indy and had success there.

Never watched more than a few minutes of a car race before. I drive in traffic all the time. It's boring enough in person. No need to watch others do it.

I do find the engineering aspects interesting, but not watching people drive in a big loop.

I would watch it more if it were broadcast at all in the US.

Le Mans is a very exciting race to keep track of. IMSA races are also very interesting.

While I get the excitement for Nascar, it's format is boring as they just drive in circles. F1 is much more complex and difficult. It also showcases the latest in automotive technology.

There's a lot more to it than just the racing aspect.

Back