Why do people think Tony vs. Khabib will be competitive?

So a guy with one of the longest winning streaks and have beaten former champs while looking impressive has a 0% chance against khabib, especially when he's a good wrestler and gr8 bjj guy, ok buddy.

Tony Ferguson's win-streak albeit impressive is nothing more than a house of cards about to cave in. Aside from his RDA victory he has looked very beatable in all of his fights - many of them against very subpar competition. In the RDA fight there could have been a number of mitigating factors which led to the poor performance from RDA... whether it be a poor weight cut, coming off a loss, USADA, whatever.

Tony Ferguson was being pummeled and was even full mounted by a very green to the scene Kevin Lee who had the most blatant case of staph infection on his chest. Staph infection is very serious and isn't on the Tito Ortiz "fractured skull" of excuses when a fighter loses. It is admirable that Kevin Lee even took the fight.

An infection of that magnitude will certainly sap your energy, and it is obvious that fatigue attributed to Kevin Lee's eventual downfall in round 3... it wasn't that Tony Ferguson was the better fighter...

If Khabib comes in healthy to this fight, and that is a big if due to the intensity of his training and his difficult weight cuts, then I do not see how this fight is competitive barring the puncher's chance (or in Tony's case, a spinning elbow, flying knee, etc) which is possible in any fight.. although I feel like Tony will be even more hesitant than usual in this fight when it comes to throwing his flashy arsenal of moves because it will result in being taken down. This alone will make Tony's gameplan more restrictive.

Can you imagine if Khabib has full mount on Tony - (it won't happen because Khabib likes to stay in more advantageous positions)? Or is able to dictate the pace for 2-3 rounds? Anything else will be number one bullshit.

Oh, oh shit. I thought it was a joke to play along with. Didn't realize I was dealing with a for real badass.

Lemme back out off real slow. We cool we cool.
Tony Ferguson's win-streak albeit impressive is nothing more than a house of cards about to cave in. Aside from his RDA victory he has looked very beatable in all of his fights - many of them against very subpar competition. In the RDA fight there could have been a number of mitigating factors which led to the poor performance from RDA... whether it be a poor weight cut, coming off a loss, USADA, whatever.

Tony Ferguson was being pummeled and was even full mounted by a very green to the scene Kevin Lee who had the most blatant case of staph infection on his chest. Staph infection is very serious and isn't on the Tito Ortiz "fractured skull" of excuses when a fighter loses. It is admirable that Kevin Lee even took the fight.

An infection of that magnitude will certainly sap your energy, and it is obvious that fatigue attributed to Kevin Lee's eventual downfall in round 3... it wasn't that Tony Ferguson was the better fighter...

If Khabib comes in healthy to this fight, and that is a big if due to the intensity of his training and his difficult weight cuts, then I do not see how this fight is competitive barring the puncher's chance (or in Tony's case, a spinning elbow, flying knee, etc) which is possible in any fight.. although I feel like Tony will be even more hesitant than usual in this fight when it comes to throwing his flashy arsenal of moves because it will result in being taken down. This alone will make Tony's gameplan more restrictive.

Can you imagine if Khabib has full mount on Tony - (it won't happen because Khabib likes to stay in more advantageous positions)? Or is able to dictate the pace for 2-3 rounds? Anything else will be number one bullshit.
Did you see Khabib fight Gleison Teibau? Many including me thought Khabib lost that fight. Why do people think Khabib is unbeatable?

Ronda is an Olympic Judo medalist. If that is not world class, I am not sure what is.

I dunno what I find more hilarious in this situation:

a. you think women are comparable with men
b. your tag is the Fight “Professor”

I dunno what I find more hilarious in this situation:

a. you think women are comparable with men
b. your tag is the Fight “Professor”
I am not comparing Ronda with men but rather saying Tony may very well be "Holly" of the division.

I am not comparing Ronda with men but rather saying Tony may very well be "Holly" of the division.

Ronda was a one trick pony. Khabib is not. He's faced and beaten champions like RDA. You're comparing bums and cans with 3 or 4 fights who Ronda beat to UFC champions and contenders. You see how stupid that sounds?

Yes he's a grappler but it's not like he's Maia pulling guard and octagon crawling. Your comparison is as ridiculous as your tag.

Ronda was a one trick pony. Khabib is not. He's faced and beaten champions like RDA. You're comparing bums and cans with 3 or 4 fights who Ronda beat to UFC champions and contenders. You see how stupid that sounds?

Yes he's a grappler but it's not like he's Maia pulling guard and octagon crawling. Your comparison is as ridiculous as your tag.
Obviously Khabib and the entire division is at a much higher level. But Khabib's gameplan is similar to Ronda's - close the distance, clinch, go to the ground. Tibau was able to avoid most takedowns and should have won the fight. If Tony can do that or threaten Khabib with submissions, he will not have a plan B.

I'm a big fan of both for different reasons and seeing two great fighters tested against each other is a win for all of us. I truly don't understand this nutswingrr mentality that you can only be a fan of one or the other in any matchup. I like Tony because he has a plan A, B, C, D ,E, F which I think could cause problems for Khabib. Meanwhile Khabib has insane take downs and top control. Tony has interesting JJ, which may or may not be a problem for Khabib, as he's destroyed other respectable JJ guys. Its a great matchup of two guys with pretty clear advanatages and interesting questions that could be answered by seeing these two fight.

Some people are sleeping on Tony big time.

It's kinda confusing. He's easily Khabib's toughest matchup in the division.

Obviously Khabib and the entire division is at a much higher level. But Khabib's gameplan is similar to Ronda's - close the distance, clinch, go to the ground. Tibau was able to avoid most takedowns and should have won the fight. If Tony can do that or threaten Khabib with submissions, he will not have a plan B.

what? we're going in circles here. this all started off by you saying Tony will expose him. it's now shifted to you explaining a tactical game plan for Tony to win a UD.

even if that happens -- like i already said -- that's a victory for Tony of the highest kind because of how good Khabib is. the headlines won't read "Khabib exposed as one trick pony by Tony".

I agree for the most part. Tony is as game as they come but IMO has a steep uphill battle here. Also, about 60% of sherdogs picking khabib.

It literally takes 30 seconds to read a few paragraphs and process it. Fucking tiny ass attention spans these days. I blame video games. Take an adderall and it will all be okay.

You don't earn anybodies attention though. You're a dumb fuck with a dumbass opinion that hero-worships fighters. Picture of a fighter as your AV like it's a girl on your locker. You embarrassing fuck.

Tony off his back is dangerous and Tony on his back for 20 minutes is where I expect him to be

Match-up wise it's another Khabib mauling, but Tony has a tremendous will to win. The dude won't give up and doesn't look like he's about to lose when he's taking a beating or when out-positioned. "You better finish him now" is what came to mind when Lando was styling on him. Same with Lee in mount.

Cardio and toughness were big factors in Forrest beating Shogun & Rampage, even though he's skill wise the lesser man. I do think this is Khabib's fight to lose, but the 5 rounds and Tony's fighting spirit makes it one of the best LW fights to date.

Kevin Lee was basically on his death bed and he gave tony all he could handle. I’m expecting Khabib to wrestle fuck him for the win. Dunno why anyone wouldn’t expect that sort of fight.

Back