Why do people say grappling is better for street fighting than boxing?

The point, was that your retort of remembering a specific case was false in that you didnt likely remember the "case" of the burglar who cut his feet on the broken glass--because it is an example given by many instructors of criminal justice and law as an example of how someone can be criminally guilty but still win a civil suit. For example--what year was the case? What state did it take place in? What was the rationale for judgement?

An urban legend is a story of relatively modern day that gets passed around in a society and is typically slightly different with each iteration. It could have been based on fact and slowly became fiction...could have been fiction all along, or factual for the most part all along. This story--I've heard it where the burglar breaks into a house barefooted and cuts his feet on glass. I've heard it happened during Xmas and he came in through a window and cut his feet on broken ornaments, etc etc.

And no, the only thing I mentioned with regard to this subject was that you have the right to protect yourself, family, and property with appropriate force, and that with gun defense you are almost guaranteed to have to deal with a subsequent civil suit or media pressure if it turns racial.

ok well my understanding of urban legend is implicitly myth ie legend. but if you didnt mean it that way then i concede. in my case my friends dad had some guys trying to break into his house and he was basically waiting in side with his gun. he's in queens and he just expressed some ambiguity as to his rights. if i remember correctly he had to wait for them to come in but by chance they ran off.

and in regards to race you are partially wrong imo. it completely depends on your race. noone wants to hear about black on asian crime. we can hear about the duke lacrosse case promoted by the new york times but nothing on deadly racial motivated attacks against guatemalens in camden. real justice simply isnt that arbitrary. these flaws arent something to base your safety off of either. one could argue that the courts greater attention to white black crimes is simply isolated and no indication of the law in a larger context. i and many others know this too be false and such language to me is simply a mechanism to deny further investigation and the possible exposure of a larger problem.

Don't know about this. The courts are generally pretty sympathetic in legit self defense situations. I remember reading a case where some weak drunk assaulted a much stronger, tougher guy and got his ass thoroughly kicked, causing substantial injuries. The judge ruled that it was self defense, despite the first guy posing no real threat to the second, because you are under no requirement to sit there while under attack, even if you are not in serous danger.

Actually the courts can be really unpredictable in situations like this.

A few years ago, my friend was in a 7-11 buying some chewing gum when a drunk guy came in, walked up to him and punched him in the face. They traded blows for a while until my friend managed to get out and run away.

Even though there was CCTV footage (which I watched) that meant that the jury could see exactly what happened, they still found my friend guilty.

haha here is a funny one. my dad said he was serving on the jury for this crazy hippie white lady who would try to break black guys out of prison. He and the jury felt sorry for her and let her off but found the guy trying to break out guilty.

Actually the courts can be really unpredictable in situations like this.

A few years ago, my friend was in a 7-11 buying some chewing gum when a drunk guy came in, walked up to him and punched him in the face. They traded blows for a while until my friend managed to get out and run away.

Even though there was CCTV footage (which I watched) that meant that the jury could see exactly what happened, they still found my friend guilty.

I have three responses to this.

First, I find it hard to believe that even a jury, stupid as they can be, could find a man guilty of assault in the scenario you have described. I would hope that something else was in play.

Second, your friend had an unbelievably shitty lawyer if the above is accurate.

Third, I can only really speak to Canadian law, which differs somewhat from American jurisprudence, so maybe the good old United States of America really is that nuts.

What kind of sentence did he get?

haha here is a funny one. my dad said he was serving on the jury for this crazy hippie white lady who would try to break black guys out of prison. He and the jury felt sorry for her and let her off but found the guy trying to break out guilty.

Jury trials can be terrifyingly feckless.

They are great if you are a sympathetic criminal looking to avoid serious time, however.

Jury trials can be terrifyingly feckless.

They are great if you are a sympathetic criminal looking to avoid serious time, however.

haha yes and they are so reluctant to hold women accountable in the American courts. Killing 5 of your children is punished by weekend group meeting serving hot chocolate.

I have three responses to this.

First, I find it hard to believe that even a jury, stupid as they can be, could find a man guilty of assault in the scenario you have described. I would hope that something else was in play.

Second, your friend had an unbelievably shitty lawyer if the above is accurate.

Third, I can only really speak to Canadian law, which differs somewhat from American jurisprudence, so maybe the good old United States of America really is that nuts.

What kind of sentence did he get?

My friend was broke and had to use a Legal Aid lawyer. And this was in Australia, not the US or Canada.

The judge gave him community service.

People who have knockout power in their hands need to be careful of the fact that should they KO someone on the street and the person smashes their head on the ground, there is a very real chance of permanent irreparable brain damage.

The result is two lives ruined over what was most likely trivial bullshit.
This type of shit makes the news in D.C more times than is needed :\

If I couldn't run for my life, my defense against
a knife attack would be "here, take my wallet...".

Exactly!

Try a knife seminar with training knife that marks your gi and you realise that even if you are extremely skillful in defending against a knife you will get cut, and probably you will get cut badly and fatally

Best defense is to run away (get that 200m training in now!) or give them your wallet. Of course if it all goes pear shaped then you can try to defend yourself, but good luck!

i heard thirteen say that thing about concrete. thats very true and a very easy thing to happen in any street fight. People said I'm hard lined for saying " all bets off" but who has the right to tell anyone to gamble with their own life? that is what you are doing when you decide to put your hands on another person.

Back