Why do people only care about Mass murders?

I have always wondered this. There are the equivalent of mass shootings almost every weekend in Chicago, but few care until it is all at once, or it is a cop pulling the trigger.

Isn't it the same light vs dark curiosity with which people read stories about antiheroes and supervillains and dark story twists and murder mysteries and horror genres and revenge plots and morally gray military operations and rebellions and violent insurrections and children's books where the main kid gets lost instead of plays safely in his backyard for awhile and takes a nap rather than falling into a Dangerous Realm of Tea Parties or Magic Wardrobes or Giant Peaches, it's been awhile since I read that book so I have no idea if James found the only Giant Peach or there was a world of Giant Fruit or something

You totally lost me when you punctuated.

Got a kick out of the Pumas. Those even still made? Would think at best they'd have the yoga market. Pumas sounds much classier than cougars.

Pics of sinkhole or GTFO. I mean, shit...who doesn't love a good sinkhole pic? Normal people get over fire imagery by playing with matches as a kid.

<{1-9}>

That's the bit kiddo

There are so many examples of nefarious escalation in characterization and story that it becomes a huge run on sentence

Fighting perilious situations successfully or losing to perilious situations is part of active storytelling and always has been

Plenty of the earliest long-form fiction nonfiction rarely ended well for its leads. Hagiography. They were boiled alive and poised and burned and executed and pulled apart by horses and beheaded as part of their martyrdom. Greek myths, parables often featured insanely graphic innocent losses, look at entire tragedy genre. The Bible drowns the entire world, and it's not the last time innocents are killed in it. Egyptian legends are dark. Morbid material has been part of storytelling since the medium existed.

If you wanted to dispute the choice to feature mass murderers from modern times specifically, you can find contexts in which coverage can be offensive or too educational in its methods, but the impulse to tell a dark story or examine loss of innocent life has always been around, and it's probably inked into a stenograph of the colonial boston massacre somewhere

Last edited:
Mass shootings are shocking. However, realistically speaking, the number of people dying in gangland wars etc. is even more shocking.

The problem with covering those, is that it highlights a part of minority culture that a lot of members of minority want to detach themselves away from. On the other hand, not covering them seems like you're putting an emphasis on white people's problems, and ignoring problems of minorities.

You can't really win when it comes to covering gangs consisting of demographic minorities and their criminal behaviour. It was the same with the Mafia. Italians would get defensive about it, and thus the Mafia went under the radar for a long time, partly enabled by the "good, hard-working Italians" who didn't want themselves to be shamed by being associated with a criminal group.

America's demographic majorities are in a better position to be self-critical and self-evaluating about the problems within their group, thus they often end up receiving a larger emphasis in the media.

Last edited:
Its big. It's like fender bender driving to 7-11 vs a oil taker exploding on the freeway and taking 6 cars with it which will be covered?

* The shock value
* It targets random people, similar to how serial killer or killers that target "an innocent person" and not a gangbanger gets more airtime.
* Mass shootings can easier be politicized.

I think a clump of deaths is emotionally harder than one or two at a time. It has more emotional appeal (for the news media to focus on). It’s easier for the average person to care.

And, unfortunately, that means it’s easier to politicize.

I didn't know people didn't care about murder anymore.

because people are desensitized and a couple of deaths doesnt go over OMG threshold.

Well, of you allowed every one of those incidents to be politicized, you would not get the left affect the media is going for.

EDIT: you could use a better term. No offense. Would say the same to other using "whitey."
Its a word.

Humans feel safer when we congregate together. We're perpetually aware of things that might go wrong if we're alone and unguarded. It's why we lock our doors at night but don't skulk around in public. Mass murders contradict that sense of safety because there's no longer safety in numbers. I don't get how that isn't obvious.

Why don't car crashes get more publicity than airplane crashes? Way more people die in car wrecks than in plane wrecks.

Why don't Republicans care more about Pentagon waste than welfare abuse? The pentagon wastes way more money than welfare abusers.

Why is the TS response to a tragedy the old whataboutism? Actually I know the answer to that last one, he's an idiot.

Because things like mass murderers/serial killers could affect anyone, it is seemingly random who gets targeted so there is a more personal feeling to the story knowing it might be able to happen to you.]

A criminal shooting another over a bad drug deal isn't really something that will ever affect most people.

This is the root of it. We can say it’s entertaining or easy to politicize or the media feeds it to us but this is the reason behind the fact those are the reactions to mass shootings. It’s random and inexplicable and illogical vs the perception of most killings being the result of some disagreement or some cause/effect that could have only occurred between people Involved in that situation.

This is meant as no disrespect but correct me if im wrong havent 1416 ppl been murdered in america this year...

why havent I heard anything abt the other 1399...just curious

I truly dont care about either

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I truly dont care about either

tenor.gif

let's be even more honest .. most people don't give a shit about either .. no one gives a shit, until it happens to them .. then they start caring .. sometimes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back