why do people hate Ronda and Conor but love Dominick Cruz

Ronda was the favorite against Holm, and Conor was the favorite against Nate. But now that they've lost, lots of people are picking Nunes over Ronda, and Khabib/Woodley/Nate over Conor.

On the flip, 99% of fans think Cruz will dominate Garbrandt. Predictions would be different had he lost emphatically to TJ.

I don't think his appeal is proportionally any different than those two, its just that people care about 10x as much about Ronda and Conor than they do Dom, so take the hate/love and multiply it times 10.

According to Miesha, Ronda gets special treatment because she's a female.

Rhonda and Conor are popular. It's cool to hate popular shit.

Like pop music.

Cruz is basically unknown by the public. It's cool to like unpopular shit.

Like shitty local bands.

Guinness tastes better than basically every locally brewed, Schwinn riding, Bernie Sanders infused bullshit IPA I've ever tasted. But it's just not hip to like popular stuff. So people lie to themselves and each other as they guzzle down nasty piss water that tastes like someone took a shit in a hipster's beard, added yeast and called it beer.

Everyone likes Conor McGregor, he's funny, he's a great fighter, he seems like a good person.

But you're no philistine! Make sure everyone knows you aren't impressed.

And then we'll see it.

You're not impressed! Could it be that you might be funnier, know more about fighting, and are a better judge of character than him?! At the very least, you're certainly better than the dumb masses that are impressed.

Those poor sheep. Sitting around enjoying the community and the sport, not even superior to anyone else. Pathetic.

Rhonda and Conor are popular. It's cool to hate popular shit.

Like pop music.

Cruz is basically unknown by the public. It's cool to like unpopular shit.

Like shitty local bands.

Guinness tastes better than basically every locally brewed, Schwinn riding, Bernie Sanders infused bullshit IPA I've ever tasted. But it's just not hip to like popular stuff. So people lie to themselves and each other as they guzzle down nasty piss water that tastes like someone took a shit in a hipster's beard, added yeast and called it beer.

Everyone likes Conor McGregor, he's funny, he's a great fighter, he seems like a good person.

But you're no philistine! Make sure everyone knows you aren't impressed.

And then we'll see it.

You're not impressed! Could it be that you might be funnier, know more about fighting, and are a better judge of character than him?! At the very least, you're certainly better than the dumb masses that are impressed.

Those poor sheep. Sitting around enjoying the community and the sport, not even superior to anyone else. Pathetic.
{<BJPeen}

Honestly, I DO think Dom is a smug douche at times. But I can't argue the guy is MUCH smarter than most MMA fighters, both mentally and fight-strategy wise. AND, even though he does trash-talk, he's usually not saying completely over the top, inane rubbish.

He puts on clinics in the cage, and leaves most high-level opponents looking completely baffled.

For that, I give him a pass.

Amen to this

You mean SOME people? It's the same as asking 'why do people who have subjective opinions about different things have different opinions than other people?' Pointless. Why do people with inconsistent positions have inconsistent positions? Where are you trying to go with this?
GyaGX_f-maxage-0.gif

dominick is actually a complete fighter unlike the other two one trick ponies

Cruz is an amazing fighter with extremely high fighter IQ. Don't compare him to those two goofs.

Because people can identify that both Ronda and Conor are 'characters'. They are employed primarily by the UFC to bring in views and are given close information that no other fighters are given. They are provided with information regarding the training aspects of their competitors, and are indeed paired with opponents that suit their style. In other words; they are fake champions.

Honestly, I hated Cruz for a long time but he's slowly been winning me over. Personally, I think he's just not as funny with his trash talk as someone like McGregor, and that turns a lot of people off, but his absolute clowning of Garbrandt has been pretty awesome. McGregor says shit like "I'm going to ride into your favela on horseback" among many other hilarious lines, whereas Cruz resorts to taking overly personal, cheap shots that have no comedic value and an extremely dry delivery. You see Cruz in a room with people like on the Fox broadcasts and he just doesn't seem to have fun with anyone, meanwhile Conor is cracking people up and having a good time.

Basically, Cruz's sourpuss attitude turned me off for years, but I've come to accept him as a very thoughtful, analytical, and intelligent guy who just doesn't have much of a funnybone, which is fine. As for Ronda, her immaturity on TUF with Tate was just unbearable for most, including me. Immediately turned me off from her as a former fan.

Dom is arrogant, fights against shorter fighters with a significant reach advantage, feuds with and disrespects each of his opponents, casually ducked TJ Dilleshaw rematch, put division on hold with injury yet Dom Cruz is universally beloved. When these are the reasons that Ronda and Conor are hated. why?

The UFC OWES ME!
FLOYD NEEDS ME!
ONCE EVER ATHLETE!

Big difference.
Yeah, dom can be douchey, but those fucks are on an entirely diff level. Where the hell have you been?
We HATE this whole "im gods gift to the sport" shit.
Especially when there are giant, gaping holes in their game and have been exposed already.

Nobody hates Conor. Conor has one hater with many many sherdog accounts. His name is Jose Aldo.

Can't say about the rest.

As soon as Cruz gets finished 90% of his fans will disappear. It happened with Ronda. It didn't really happen with Conor because a lot of his fans are trolls.

dominick cruz is NOT universally loved. He was divisive before his injury, got a lot of good will coming back and because people didn't like dillashaw

Dom is the hardest working man in MMA. That's why, epic comebacks buy you room for flaws.

Threads like this are shit.

I will take it seriously when you list the people mentioned in the OP.

The ones that hate Conor/Ronda but like Dom.

Dom is arrogant, fights against shorter fighters with a significant reach advantage, feuds with and disrespects each of his opponents, casually ducked TJ Dilleshaw rematch, put division on hold with injury yet Dom Cruz is universally beloved. When these are the reasons that Ronda and Conor are hated. why?

Some people on Sherdog love Dom, while hating Ronda and Conor.
It's not that way out in the real world. Quite the opposite.

Back