Why Do People Characterize McGregor As A Brawler?

c0rbin9

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've noticed this thread running through any discussion comparing McGregor to Mayweather - even if it's only subtle. The implication being that Mayweather is this technical, precise clinician while McGregor is a one-dimensional power puncher.

Yet this hasn't been true in any of his fights. On the contrary, McGregor striking with it's boxing base is exceptionally precise and accurate - he also doesn't take much damage and has great timing/defense. Does the 'one dimensional' myth come from the fact that he has power? Yes it's true he has power, but he also has accuracy and defense, which is why he murks everybody standing.

I've never heard anyone call him a brawler. They usually say he's an accurate counter puncher with power.

He wont have the ring craft or techncal ability as Floyd.

Against MMA guys, of course, he is technical.

I've noticed this thread running through any discussion comparing McGregor to Mayweather - even if it's only subtle. The implication being that Mayweather is this technical, precise clinician while McGregor is a one-dimensional power puncher.

Yet this hasn't been true in any of his fights. On the contrary, McGregor striking with it's boxing base is exceptionally precise and accurate - he also doesn't take much damage and has great timing/defense. Does the 'one dimensional' myth come from the fact that he has power? Yes it's true he has power, but he also has accuracy and defense, which is why he murks everybody standing.
I have seen a pretty bad video called the "5 punches Floyd will use to embarrass Conor" or some shit like that. In that video he called Conor a brawler. Anyway, I am not surprised by that. I imagine most primarily boxing fans think MMA is a bunch brawling and that boxing is more technical. In this instance, Floyd is more technical with respect to boxing but Conor is far from a brawler and is very technical in many martial arts. I would favour Conor's technical ability if we were to consider all the various arts in determining the more technical fighter but that is irreverent in this fight.

I have seen a pretty bad video called the "5 punches Floyd will use to embarrass Conor" or some shit like that. In that video he called Conor a brawler. Anyway, I am not surprised by that. I imagine most primarily boxing fans think MMA is a bunch brawling and that boxing is more technical. In this instance, Floyd is more technical with respect to boxing but Conor is far from a brawler and is very technical in many martial arts. I would favour Conor's technical ability if we were to consider all the various arts in determining the more technical fighter but that is irreverent in this fight.

That was my video, and no, I didn't call Conor a brawler, I said he was a scrappy southpaw, because he doesn't mind getting into exchanges and is less precise when he does so. Especially defensively. He's a counter-puncher but his only chance for minute success is to impose his size on Floyd in the clinch.

I have noticed a lot of boxing guys who've never really seen him fight call him a brawler, but their opinion is as relevant as my 1 year old's.

Conor is about as technical a striker as MMA has ever had, he may opt to play things a bit rougher against Floyd though.

That video is utter shite.

That was my video, and no, I didn't call Conor a brawler, I said he was a scrappy southpaw, because he doesn't mind getting into exchanges and is less precise when he does so. Especially defensively. He's a counter-puncher but his only chance for minute success is to impose his size on Floyd in the clinch.
I didn't see your video, and while I agree that Conor is willing to put himself at risk to land, scrappy is a poor choice of word, it really doesn't describe him at all...

Precise or clinical sum him up better than most words.

I . I would favour Conor's technical ability if we were to consider all the various arts in determining the more technical fighter but that is irreverent in this fight.

Conor has never even held a belt in any pro striking sport.
Mayweather is the Bobby Fischer of Boxing strategy wise .
Conor isn't out striking highly skilled strikers and he isnt outgrappling highly skilled grapplers.
He is a sprawl and brawler who uses purely defensive wrestling and outstrikes low caliber strikers.

The mainstream doesn't know shtt about Boxing... or about MMA.

Ahhhh, my mistake. You are correct.

Do they?

Seems very composed to me

Nope, irish jabroni is a southpaw pressure counter puncher who relies on his huge reach and shit talk to mahe his opponents overcommit so he can hit them with a pull counter or left straight and he is very accurate.

but that's in mma in boxing he is at least an amateur and he can't use the same tactics; has bad footwork (for boxing) uses a very wide stance, no head movement, very stiff hips and can't do much once he is trapped in a clinch.

He's not a "brawler" (or, in boxing terminology, a "swarmer"), but he's not a "boxer" either (which is what Floyd is). He's a fairly typical "puncher" (or "slugger").

I'll agree with you that he does have accuracy, but his defense really isn't that great... even for a "puncher" it's not great. Aldo hit him while out cold. Nate, who is a good striker, had better success hitting Conor in both fights than he has with other fighters like, say, Michael Johnson.

A guy like Tyson, who was a "swarmer/puncher" hybrid had much (MUCH) better defense than Conor. So did Foreman, who was pretty slow and also a straight up "puncher."

I have noticed a lot of boxing guys who've never really seen him fight call him a brawler, but their opinion is as relevant as my 1 year old's.

Conor is about as technical a striker as MMA has ever had, he may opt to play things a bit rougher against Floyd though.

This really isn't true. There are a lot of guys in MMA who are better technically with their hands. Take away the power in the left and he'd be nothing particularly special in the boxing department.

This really isn't true. There are a lot of guys in MMA who are better technically with their hands. Take away the power in the left and he'd be nothing particularly special in the boxing department.
I disagree, his power is a few notches down the list of what makes him so good.

There's more to being a technical striker than just throwing the actual strike, and even though his punching technique is as good as anybody's in mma it's actually the fact that Conor is an expert at the finer points that makes him stand out.

His judgment of distance is 2nd to none, no one in mma is as good at making you think you can hit him only to miss by a fraction leaving you open for a devastating counter.

No one ever calls him a brawler. If he was a brawler he would have a MUCH better chance because "brawling" has given Floyd some problems in the past

Literally nobody has ever called Conor a brawler. They say he needs to employ a brawling style to have any kind of success against Floyd, and that is true. Conor doesn't have the technical boxing to put Floyd in any kind of danger. In MMA he sets up his boxing with his kicks. Expect a kick and then a straight left comes down the pipe etc. No kicks or even feinting kicks in boxing. Just straight up hands, Conor is at a huge disadvantage, which is why if he makes it through 12 rounds and lands a few shots, that'll be a successful performance imo.

I didn't see your video, and while I agree that Conor is willing to put himself at risk to land, scrappy is a poor choice of word, it really doesn't describe him at all...

Precise or clinical sum him up better than most words.

When his striking is far superior to that of his opponent, sure. But in both Diaz fights he showed a tendency to take one to give one in an exchange.

When his striking is far superior to that of his opponent, sure. But in both Diaz fights he showed a tendency to take one to give one in an exchange.

He also got clocked repeatedly by a college Wrestler

Back