Opinion Why do other workers support the corporate mentality?

i left the workforce 5 years ago. Something about getting paid $10 for an hour of my time just doesnt sit right with me. Especially when i spend that $10 on energy drinks so i can keep working.

Not all companies are that way. Why are they? Could be rushing towards a liquidation event. Why are workers like that? Because like it or not, work is competition. I think people learn to compete by working more (I disagree, I think you win by making better strategic decisions, not working extra hours on a mediocre idea).

I’m salary and work remotely. There’s an expectation that I’ll work roughly 40 hours a week. Sometimes I’m on call so it’s more. And sometimes I work more just because I’m enjoying my project. But if I only worked 20 hours but still accomplished the same things, no one would bat an eye.

So along the lines of what @panamaican said, focus more of becoming very good at your job. Build a list of accomplishments. Then it won’t matter what some political busy-body tells your boss about when you leave work. He won’t care because you are a performer who delivers. Make your boss look good.

Unless you just can’t bring yourself to do it. Then quit and find a new place. But I highly doubt you’ll find a banking job that doesn’t have that culture surrounding it.

Not all companies are that way. Why are they? Could be rushing towards a liquidation event. Why are workers like that? Because like it or not, work is competition. I think people learn to compete by working more (I disagree, I think you win by making better strategic decisions, not working extra hours on a mediocre idea).

I’m salary and work remotely. There’s an expectation that I’ll work roughly 40 hours a week. Sometimes I’m on call so it’s more. And sometimes I work more just because I’m enjoying my project. But if I only worked 20 hours but still accomplished the same things, no one would bat an eye.

So along the lines of what @panamaican said, focus more of becoming very good at your job. Build a list of accomplishments. Then it won’t matter what some political busy-body tells your boss about when you leave work. He won’t care because you are a performer who delivers. Make your boss look good.

Unless you just can’t bring yourself to do it. Then quit and find a new place. But I highly doubt you’ll find a banking job that doesn’t have that culture surrounding it.
every company i have ever worked for has gone bankrupt and ceased to exist. Including my parents company.

I am the grim reaper of retail sales

every company i have ever worked for has gone bankrupt and ceased to exist. Including my parents company.

I am the grim reaper of retail sales

There used to be a company who provided a service to help wind down and sunset failing companies. They failed and I have to imagine there was a lot of laugh-crying at the office that day.

I think you are missing the point.

What I am trying to get at is e.g. Bob sees Susan leaving at 6pm after she has completed her work. Why does Bob feel the need to comment on this or gossip to other people just to put Susan down? This type of mentality between colleagues (of making sure no one "gets off easy") creates an intensely competitive and unnecessarily stressful environment which forces people to stay behind for no good reason.

Also, to address what you are saying, most corporate jobs (including mine) are not paid by the hour. Even if its paid hourly, and even if a commission/bonus is given, I still have a problem with employers forcing employees to do long hours. When I say long hours, I'm not talking about 9am-6pm btw...people in my industry are often talked into working from 8:00am-midnight night after night. I know one employee who worked 31 days in a row without a day's rest and several others who got worked so hard they developed serious liver issues. Sure, you can technically say no to the extra hours...but could you really? Retribution under a different name is still retribution...

if you are legitimately a 1st year analyst, you are *more* protected today than in previous years. and the answer in your case is "up or out", as i would expect you'd know. hardest working analysts become associates, associates become vps, vps become MD and MDs make $1 million + a year. You can go find a job as an internal audit person at a mid-sized company in ohio and work 9-5. And make 50K a year. i expect you will take home six figures this year - so you should probably put your head down and bang out that DCF and try to smile.

Back