Why do most people discredit Covington’s win over Maia?

Dude when Maia pieces you up on the feet, you are straight trash.

agreed, TS...Colby deserves a ton of respect for beating Maia.

While Maia was perhaps one of more favourable opponents (if not the most?) for Colby in the top 10, Colby still beat the #2 guy.

IMHO, Colby still needs at least another big win...beating Thompson or Lawler would make him undeniable, but I also think he prob loses both of those fights.

Maia landed a lot of shots on Colby and Maia isn't a striker. He lit him up.
because of the threat of the takedown.... Maia gets you down you don't get a second chance at it. I wanna see Colby vs somebody that he knows isn't going for td. (wonderboy)

They don't, but if they did it would be because a 40 year old Maia was out striking him until he gassed.

I don't think people so much discredit it as try not to acknowledge it because Maia has alot of fans. That loss was probably heartbreaking for alot of people.

Personally though I thought it was a great performance, he broke Maia down and probably would've gotten a stoppage via GNP if there was 10 or so more seconds left in that fight.

When was the fight close to getting stopped? Were Colby's troll faces being unanswered or was it his awful boxing?

I don’t believe Colby has earned himself a title shot. RDA hasn’t either. These two should’ve fought during Tyron’s layoff so he has no way to discredit the winner as the number one contender. Back to the topic.

Colby did not get “lit up” by Maia on the feet. Maia had his most success in the opening minute where he landed good strikes because Colby was pressuring him hard with basically zero respect for his power or takedown threat. Colby was actually taking the fight to Maia, something respectable that most of his opponents shy away from. He mentally and physically broke Maia who was fresh off a title shot. At the end of the third round Maia looked like he had been beaten and mugged in an alleyway and the referee was extremely close to stopping to the fight.

Dominating him in his home country after being showered by beer bottles, spit, and trash during his walkout makes the win even more impressive. Colby’s trash talk is forced and cringey. I don’t understand how that takes away from a great win against Maia. Discuss!

Hey I think Colbys good and that Maia is a good win for anybody but I think it's pretty impossible to live down being fucked up by Demian in a striking exchange. I think if Colby goes on to cure cancer his first patients reaction upon finding out that theyre going to live would just be them asking "how did you get outstruck by Demian Maia? that's totally lame dude".

He's a good fighter. I think his schtick is entertaining. I think he likely will be a better pro wrestler than he is a fighter. I'm excited for nerdbash 2018 and all of the boomerangs to come.

because of the threat of the takedown.... Maia gets you down you don't get a second chance at it. I wanna see Colby vs somebody that he knows isn't going for td. (wonderboy)
If you watch the fight it's clear that Colby wasn't afraid of going to the ground like Tyron was. It's ok that he got lit up, he still won the fight convincingly. I don't think he'd do well against an elite striker like Wonderboy though. I don't think he'd make it to the third round with Lawler either.

Maybe it has to do with A. Maia is 40 years old. B. Covington is 29 and C. Wasn’t impressive after shit talking.

It's a good win, Covington just didn't look like anything special in that fight, he just won because he was a bad matchup for Demian Maia to begin with, good takedown defence, decent enough stand up to beat Maia up on the feet, he was also getting tuned up by Maia before the guy gassed out.

If you watch the fight it's clear that Colby wasn't afraid of going to the ground like Tyron was. It's ok that he got lit up, he still won the fight convincingly. I don't think he'd do well against an elite striker like Wonderboy though. I don't think he'd make it to the third round with Lawler either.

Covington would take down 2018 Lawler at will and dominate him on the ground. I know it’s hard to read that sentence and admit it but come on now Lawler is not the same guy he was when he beat Rory twice...

Because Maia gave him trouble with his striking, and it seemed like Maia lost more because he gassed - and not because Colby was doing anything special.

But it's ridiculous when you see sherdoggers dismiss this win as being "old Maia".
Fuck that, Maia was doing better than ever before, had been a 6 fight winning streak against guys like Magny, Gunnar, Matt Brown, Condit and Masvidal, that only ended in a decision loss title fight.

It's a legit win, it just doesn't say much for him as a contender. Wrestlers aren't interested opponents for Woodley.

It's a legit win, it just doesn't say much for him as a contender. Wrestlers aren't interested opponents for Woodley.

why is that? Woodleys UFC losses are to two guys with strong wrestling/grappling in Shields and McDonald. Also Gastleum fought him to a split decision when he was still young as hell.

Last edited:
People don't. It's just that Colby is the human embodiment of jock itch.

giphy.gif

You can win looking real good in a decision or you can just win, Colby just won the fight against the 40yr old man, certainly nothing to jump up and down about or warrant the amount of gum flapping he's been doing...

Maia's age was the same vs Masvidal, Woodley and Colby.

If we're not counting months now.

why is that? Woodleys UFC losses are to two guys with strong wrestling/grappling in Shields and McDonald. Also Gastleum fought him to a split decision when he was still young as hell.

I suggest you go watch those fights. There was no wrestling involved.

Back