Why do HW UFC fighters have so much shorter reach than Boxers?

because all the boxers mentioned were black and all listed ufc were non-blacks (arguably dc too)
blacks have longer arms

because all the boxers mentioned were black and all listed ufc were non-blacks (arguably dc too)
blacks have longer arms
The Gypsy King is doing whatever mojo the Gypsy's do on you for that. You are OK with the Klitschko Brothers however. Tons of African blood in Ukrainians.

because you're being selective of who you pick
i can also mention

evander holyfield
james toney
roy jones jr
george forman
joe frazier
muhammad ali

Because wrestling and kicks and shit.

How's Joseph Parker's takedown defense?

two different measurements

MMA use wingspan
Boxing uses arm length

only one length matters
BQqB3kkCEAADlfF.jpg:large

Boxers are A level athletes for the most part

Dude no they’re fucking not. First of define a level athlete.

Second, walk into a boxing gym. You’ll see champions who barley look like they workout. They’re guys who couldn’t cut it in the big money sports just like ufc fighters.

This over simplified “hur dur dur dur they are good at dis sport dat means they’re a level atlete” is retarded.

In every sport there are the more athletic competitors and the less athletic.

Because MMA is not boxing. The body type that's great for boxing might not be great for wrestling or BJJ. It's a different sport with different rules and different approaches.
I agree. I do think that we need to "rethink" the reach advantage angle when we discuss MMA.

I can't remember how many times it has been said here that fighter X only wins because the have an incredible reach advantage.
It is constant that MMA fighters are getting hurt cutting weight, but to some extent, is that not also an attempt to gain reach advantage to fight opponents in lighter WC'S?

I am a Wrestler, and fully understand the advantage of extra pounds grappling, but I think reach is also an objective in WC.

A lot of HW mma athletes go to different sports. Football, basketball and historically even pro wrestling have offered better money for their body type.

Boxing tends to be a sport people play from a young age too. Whereas MMA often is a transition from another sport. It’s hard to play football or basketball as a 5’8 135 pounder

because you're being selective of who you pick
i can also mention

evander holyfield
james toney
roy jones jr
george forman
joe frazier
muhammad ali

I thought I was going back WAYYYY to far with Mike Tyson (Pre UFC.)
Briggs - 80"
Foreman - 78.5"
Ali - 78"
Holyfield - 77.5"
RJJ - 74" (HW?)
Toney - 72" (HW?)

I always hated these types of arguments, but I am starting to share that opinion. It makes me wonder even more what a top notch boxer could do in the UFC with a couple years TDD defense.
Wait for the "what about leg kicks" crowd to rock up

Why are most athletes shorter than most basketball players? If the only way you can score is by putting a ball into a hoop 10 feet off the floor, success will tend to select for taller heights. If the only way you can score is by using your arms to punch, success will tend to select for longer arms. In MMA there are a lot of roads to winning.

HW champion boxers have far more reach than UFC HW champs"

It's funny how you go all the way back to Hasim Rahman, but you exclude so many champions from your list. It's almost as if you knew it would hurt your case if you listed every champion from the selected period:

Ruslan Chagaev - 74"
Lucas Browne - 77"
Charles Martin - 80"
Bermane Stiverne - 76"
Alexander Povetkin - 75"
David Haye - 78"
Nikolai Valuev - 85"
Samuel Peter - 77"
Sultan Ibragimov - 76"
Shannon Briggs - 80"
Oleg Maskaev - 79"
Siarhei Liakhovich - 74"
Lamon Brewster - 77"
John Ruiz - 78"
Corrie Sanders - 77"
Roy Jones Jr. - 74"
Chris Byrd - 74"

I've named all the champions excluded from your list, back to when Hasim Rahman won his first title. The total reach for these fighters is 1311 : 17 = 77,12". That number seems pretty average for a heavyweight, and it's even inclusive Nikolai Valuev who was a freak of nature. It's not my intention to come off as a d***, but your list is just blatant cherry-picking. I have to call you out on that, good sir!

To answer your question: reach is not as important in MMA, because you're allowed to do other things besides boxing in this sport. It's pretty obvious. You can overcome your opponents reach advantage with kicks, and when you grapple it's pretty much negated. :)

Why are most athletes shorter than most basketball players? If the only way you can score is by putting a ball into a hoop 10 feet off the floor, success will tend to select for taller heights. If the only way you can score is by using your arms to punch, success will tend to select for longer arms. In MMA there are a lot of roads to winning.
I know zilch about BJJ/ submission grappling, but I have never heard in all my years of Wrestling anyone insinuating that longer limbs were not a good thing. Listening to Joe Rogan and crew commentating, they seem to think that long limbs can also be advantageous in submission grappling. Is there really any aspect of MMA that favors shorter arms to longer ones?

blacks have longer arms
Exactly. Klischko "brothers" for example, and TYSON Fury obviously blood related to Mike TYSON.

I know zilch about BJJ/ submission grappling, but I have never heard in all my years of Wrestling anyone insinuating that longer limbs were not a good thing. Listening to Joe Rogan and crew commentating, they seem to think that long limbs can also be advantageous in submission grappling. Is there really any aspect of MMA that favors shorter arms to longer ones?

The question is the degree of favor. The advantage is less marked, and other qualities more important.

It's funny how you go all the way back to Hasim Rahman, but you exclude so many champions from your list. It's almost as if you knew it would hurt your case if you listed every champion from the selected period:

Ruslan Chagaev - 74"
Lucas Browne - 77"
Charles Martin - 80"
Bermane Stiverne - 76"
Alexander Povetkin - 75"
David Haye - 78"
Nikolai Valuev - 85"
Samuel Peter - 77"
Sultan Ibragimov - 76"
Shannon Briggs - 80"
Oleg Maskaev - 79"
Siarhei Liakhovich - 74"
Lamon Brewster - 77"
John Ruiz - 78"
Corrie Sanders - 77"
Roy Jones Jr. - 74"
Chris Byrd - 74"

I've named all the champions excluded from your list, back to when Rahman won his first title. The total reach for these fighters is 1311 : 17 = 77,12". That number seems pretty average for a heavyweight, and it's even inclusive Valuev who was a freak of nature. It's not my intention to come off as a d***, but your list is just blatant cherry-picking. I have to call you out on that, good sir!

To answer your question: Reach isn't as important in MMA, because you're allowed to do other things besides boxing in this sport. It's pretty obvious. You can overcome your opponents reach advantage with kicks, and when you grapple it's pretty much negated. :)
I just threw names out there that came to my head. I forgot Mir, Carwin, Nog, El Suave, Barnett, Randleman, Rutten, Smith or Coleman.
Limbs are used like lever breaking holds in Wrestling constantly.

These MMA boneheads are probably cutting reach too to help make weight.

It's like how pitchers have longer arms and basketball players are lanky. Boxing is an arm sport so they have longer arms. MMA is filled with wrestlers who are stocky.

Back