Why Do Hardcore MMA Fans Want Less UFC Fights?

Quality not quantity.

The free fight night cards and all the watered down pay per views is taking away a bit of the excitement that the UFC used to have. Back when GSP and Silva were at the top of their divisions the bars here were all packed full of people watching the pay per view cards and now most of them don't even order the fights anymore and the ones that do are lucky to draw a small crowd.

The UFC has the ability to put on the most stacked cards possible, if they cut back some of the events they do and make the pay per view cards a bit more stacked they can draw some more excitement and build some new superstars. Make the events a bit more special, more ranked fighters, more hype shows...
It really makes me wonder how bars are making any money showing these PPVs. It costs them a lot of money and most of them don't bring any more than 5 or 6 people into the bar.. That can't cover the cost.

Because the UFC isn't recruiting good talent. They're recruiting random guys to fill in the 10000 open slots on the 100000 cards. That makes them focus on getting bodies instead of talent.

For example, it's a common misconception that HW is dead. It's not. It's better than ever. The UFC HW division is dead because they're not focused on recruiting the best HWs in the world. The UFC HW top 10 is not the world HW top 10.

Do you really think that there aren't 20+ guys that can beat AA and Mark Hunt?

Most of a UFC card isn't watching the best fighters or the best up and comers. It's watching random low level WMMA, 125ers, and random guys -- not up and comers or exciting prospects. If I wanted to watch random guys, I can watch local MMA and not have to suffer through the WMMA or 125ers; that's the level these guys the UFC is recruiting are on.

Do you really believe that there aren't 15 better LHWs than Pat Cummins, for example? Is he really the 11th best guy in the world or is he just a random guy they got to fill in for DC? I'd rather watch the millions of guys that are better than him in non-UFC orgs than watch a free UFC card filled with guys like him.

UFC used to focus on having the best fighters and so all their fighters were worth watching. It's just a brand name at this point and most of their roster, and so most of their cards, are regional level fighters, WMMA, or 125.
They are recruiting the best guys who are willing to sign with the UFC.

Back