Why Do Hardcore MMA Fans Want Less UFC Fights?

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hardcore MMA fans always claim that they are better than the casuals but let us check that for a moment.

Hardcore MMA Fans only like UFC cards when they see brand-names, when they see less popular fighters on the card, they automatically dismiss the card as being a "filler." Then the card turns out to be super exciting. LOL

Hardcore MMA Fans are often complaining about "there is too much UFC, and we need less fights," are they crazy?

If there is place to sign-up for a Hardcore MMA Fan card, I am not going. Hardcore MMA Fans haven't shown me that they know any better than the random reasonable casual fan.

Just because you know which Japanese soccer dad Fedor beat way back in the glory days of ring MMA, it doesn't mean you enjoy MMA more than somebody who doesn't. It just means you are a nostalgia nerd.

Cause they hate "watered down" cards which in reality would only be a problem for casuals.

Id rather dedicate 25 Saturday nights a year to awesome cards than 50 Saturday nights a year to meh cards

its not that hardcore fans want less fights its that the product just isn't worth it and fans are voting with their feet. PPV price just keeps going up and the amount of high level talent of cards has declined (regardless of whether or not some of those fights deliver on entertainment value).

I know lot of sherdoggers stream it illegally but for those of us who do the right things most ppvs are just not worth it anymore.

Cause they hate "watered down" cards which in reality would only be a problem for casuals.
Exactly. Only casuals should complain about a card based on the fighters listed. But this is not what I see, I see that it is the hardcore fans being vocal about "watered cards" to "many UFC fights, we need less" and etc.

I don't think the casuals care that match. If the fight is on and they are interested, they will watch. If not, they have various other forms of entertainment.

I'd consider myself hardcore and I love cards every week. I hate these 3 weeks of no major cards. Although I'll watch stuff on fight pass and AXS TV to bide my time in between. I don't understand the "watered down" argument either. It sounds like something casuals complain about more than hardcores.

I am a lot more selective with the PPVs than I used to be, but I love watching the FS1, Fox, and Fight pass cards...maybe $60 a month isn’t a lot to a lot of people, and PPV costs were no big deal when I was single, but now with a wife and 4 kids, $60 is either me sitting on the couch by myself or me taking the wife and kids to a movie, and unless I really want to see 3 or more of the PPV fights. I’m taking the family out.

As for the watered down element...most of today’s fighters would smoke the fighters of yesteryear, prime vs. prime...but it was a helluva lot easier to keep track of the top fighters in each division when we only had to pay attention to 5.

New Sherdog rule: If you complain about "watered down" cards, you are inherently a casual. Even if you claim Hardcore status.

i think they are talking about women headliners

I don't care if they have a large number of cards per year, what I truly hate is that fact that the UFC expects to believe that sub par fights deserve to be on the main card on PPV's or fight nights.

I'm not sure if it's that they just have trouble booking top talent for some cards or what but I think WME needs to sign some more credible talent from other promotions instead of fishing for boxers for half-assed Zuffa boxing and stop putting certain shitty WMMA fights on the main card.

It just feels like WME is trying to put too many eggs all in one basket and they're not even checking if they're all good eggs either.

Hardcore MMA Fans only like UFC cards when they see brand-names, when they see less popular fighters on the card, they automatically dismiss the card as being a "filler." Then the card turns out to be super exciting. LOL
Those aren't hardcore fans those are posers

too much filler. I also want to be ABLE to watch all the fights, 13 fights in one evening is just too much, I dont want to be infront of the tv for 6 whole hours watching just fights.

I really think cards should have only 8 fights.

THis year has been bad. PPV cards with more than 1 WMMA fight.... cmon
Im not spending a dime on a PPV if it has only 1 fight that I really care to see. Plus, fighters seem to be sitting on their ass, or hurt and not fighting. Cyborg headlining a nobody PPV. Cant wait to sign up for that one.

Quality not quantity.

The free fight night cards and all the watered down pay per views is taking away a bit of the excitement that the UFC used to have. Back when GSP and Silva were at the top of their divisions the bars here were all packed full of people watching the pay per view cards and now most of them don't even order the fights anymore and the ones that do are lucky to draw a small crowd.

The UFC has the ability to put on the most stacked cards possible, if they cut back some of the events they do and make the pay per view cards a bit more stacked they can draw some more excitement and build some new superstars. Make the events a bit more special, more ranked fighters, more hype shows...

Last edited:
It really doesn't bother me.

But I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to see more fights. I think the thing is that there is 3-4 Fight Nights and 1-2 PPVs a month that the UFC wants to try and disperse all of their big name fights through. So, every Fight Night has to have 1 or 2 big fights on it.

Unfortnately, that takes fights away from their PPV cards. So now, most of their PPVs have 2 or 3 high level fights and the rest of the main card is made up of fights that used to be undercard fights. On top of that, 1 Fight Night card and half the prelims are usually on FightPass.

So, where you use to have to spend $60-$70 a month to see 6-10 hyped fights and 16-20 "builder" fights(Fight Nights + undercards), you now have to spend $75-$140 a month to see all the fights you really want and you get 8-12 big hype fights and nearly 3 dozen filler fights. Some don't feel it's worth it.

I think a good idea would be to use the free Fight Nights as builder cards for new/unkown talent and push these fighters HARD on these cards to try and build fan bases. They should also format the FightPass cards with 1 or 2 big fights, then load up the PPVs like they do with their milestone cards. I think that would work out better for the UFCs PPV sells. The problem is, Fox would absolutely hate that and never agree to it, so......

But yeah, I don't really care.

P.S. I like how you threw in a dig at Fedor in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with him. I'm sure he's glad to know he's always on your mind.
dbSoweL.gif

Hardcore MMA fans always claim that they are better than the casuals but let us check that for a moment.

Hardcore MMA Fans are often complaining about "there is too much UFC, and we need less fights," are they crazy?

If there is place to sign-up for a Hardcore MMA Fan card, I am not going. Hardcore MMA Fans haven't shown me that they know any better than the random reasonable casual fan.

Just because you know which Japanese soccer dad Fedor beat way back in the glory days of ring MMA, it doesn't mean you enjoy MMA more than somebody who doesn't. It just means you are a nostalgia nerd.
Because the UFC isn't recruiting good talent. They're recruiting random guys to fill in the 10000 open slots on the 100000 cards. That makes them focus on getting bodies instead of talent.

For example, it's a common misconception that HW is dead. It's not. It's better than ever. The UFC HW division is dead because they're not focused on recruiting the best HWs in the world. The UFC HW top 10 is not the world HW top 10.

Do you really think that there aren't 20+ guys that can beat AA and Mark Hunt?

Most of a UFC card isn't watching the best fighters or the best up and comers. It's watching random low level WMMA, 125ers, and random guys -- not up and comers or exciting prospects. If I wanted to watch random guys, I can watch local MMA and not have to suffer through the WMMA or 125ers; that's the level these guys the UFC is recruiting are on.

Do you really believe that there aren't 15 better LHWs than Pat Cummins, for example? Is he really the 11th best guy in the world or is he just a random guy they got to fill in for DC? I'd rather watch the millions of guys that are better than him in non-UFC orgs than watch a free UFC card filled with guys like him.

UFC used to focus on having the best fighters and so all their fighters were worth watching. It's just a brand name at this point and most of their roster, and so most of their cards, are regional level fighters, WMMA, or 125.

Back