Why do Conor fans get angry at technical striking breakdowns?

I think Anderson WAS great at what he did.You are right at mostly everything else except "that isnt saying much" Anderson was limited when forced to lead,but he is still one of the Sports greats. As you said hes not a boxer and would have to do things very differently if he were. That goes for everyone else too. For MMA he was one of the best strikers in the game,and that makes him a great striker. I dont see the need to impress boxing or kickboxing purists,or need to bring up "oh he'd get killed in boxing"
Hes not a boxer. He has alot more to worry about than boxers do. Even if you take into account the takedowns and kicks,because of MMA's free ruleset,an opponent can literally do anything,that you cant account for (like chonan's win over him),and Anderson avoided losing for a very long time with what he brought to the table. He def had his flaws( who doesnt?),but his skills were so good,that he could get by.
I mostly agree. I wasn't in any way trying to say that Anderson wasn't great in his time. I just couldn't cosign to him being labeled 'close to an invincible fighter'. He was amazing at what he did. I just think his other skills and abilities got exaggerated because his timing was so excellent when he saw an opening. I also do agree about not comparing them with boxers and kickboxers (for those exact reasons), but put in those qualifiers because I know so many people here do make those comparisons and didn't feel like getting quoted over and over being told that their striking is shit compared across sports.

Conor's striking is excellent for MMA, which is saying something, but not much. He's not a boxer and would have to do things very differently if he were. Don't know why anyone would get mad about it.

But lol at Anderson being the closest to invincible we've seen. Anderson was a great sniper. He really wasn't that great a striker. Like Conor, he was ahead of most of MMA, but that isn't saying much, even more so back then. If you gave him an opening, he was great at capitalizing. It's why he outright refused to lead. He just wanted his opponent to get frustrated and leave an opening.

This might be the single dumbest post in Sherdog history. e realy wasn't that great a striker? Homie, he reverse elbowed Tony Furkland in the face. Schooled a really game, explosive and very good boxer with speed and power Lee Murray, during his absolute physical prime at 170. Schooled Franklin with a Thai Plum, took apart a prime andd just coming off a Wandy KO, Hendo, front kicked a mentally prime (skill wise, and just the knowledge hes gaiend throughout his fighting career) and TRT, Vitor, and a bunch of other things to prove his striking capabilities.

Again, like I said in the most overrated fighters thread, people that say BJ, Fedor. Or Silva were overrated, haven't actially watched them during their prime, and at the top of their game, live, and in the movement.

I'm not even talking about UFC Silva, I'm talking about glove travelling 170 lb. Silva. That Spider was on a different pilevel of explosive, athletic, coordinated, quick, fast, elusive, dangerous, powerful, accurate, great defensively, domains level chin, etc.

Oh yeah, and wtahc his absolute dismantling of a prime, and roided up Nate Marquardt. Noob fans think of Nate as the guy that always get ktfo. If you've seen Nate in his prime at 185, you know for a fact how awesome he was. He was as dangerous as any fighter at 185 at the time, and he'd give any MW today, a run for their money.

And just forget the 185 UFC Spider. Watch the one that sucked at wrestling, and super lean. That was the most devastating version of striking Silva.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming to be a striking expert or anything, but Conor fans seem to truly get emotional and flustered for some reason whenever someone who knows shit about striking does a breakdown of Conor's technique. This just cements it that Conor fans are the most delusional in all the sport. I don't even think Anderson fans were that delusional, and Andy was as close to an invincible fighter in his prime as well ever see.

Why would Conor fans get upset, I've heard many technical breakdowns about conor. And Many talk about how he's able to pick apart the competition. Trust me more people in the know speak highly of his striking the don't. It's just people like you, that want Conor so badly to not be great it kills you inside.
He has outstriked everyone he faced in his career.
WWE is on Monday and Thursday, try focasing on that, you clearly need a helmet.
#feelssorryfordumbies

I'm not claiming to be a striking expert or anything, but Conor fans seem to truly get emotional and flustered for some reason whenever someone who knows shit about striking does a breakdown of Conor's technique. This just cements it that Conor fans are the most delusional in all the sport. I don't even think Anderson fans were that delusional, and Andy was as close to an invincible fighter in his prime as well ever see.

BJPenn2017 sound like a delusional handle if ever I heard one.

Because it shows that Conor has very basic, rudimentary boxing skills.

Lucky for him, MMA striking is so terribad that it's all he needs
Honestly though, there's nothing wrong with the basic part. The basics and fundamentals of boxing are usually very lacking in mma.

nah, genuinely confused about what TS is talking about.

He is talking about how some realistic technical breakdowns highlight how Conor really isn't that good of a striker, and that such analyses piss McHuggers off. I guess there is a whole other set of McHuggers who aren't even aware that these critiques exist....

He is talking about how some realistic technical breakdowns highlight how Conor really isn't that good of a striker, and that such analyses piss McHuggers off. I guess there is a whole other set of McHuggers who aren't even aware that these critiques exist....
i mean i haven't seen any breakdown of conor's striking that implied it wasn't that good.

unless we're talking about some nobody on sherdog or something.

Why do Conor haters get angry when someone says anything remotely positive about Conor? Hell, sometimes they get angry just for stating facts about Conor, like that he's the current UFC LW champ.

Funny that you don't mention that.

Also funny that you mention being "delusional" - you're speaking to a stereotype that doesn't actually happen half as often as you pretend it does. Who's really being delusional - the two people who fit the stereotype, or the hundred people hating on those two people and complaining about them like they're everywhere?

Not angry. I'm a big fan but ya there's a couple sh Itty fans just don't pay attention to em

Why do Conor haters get angry when someone says anything remotely positive about Conor? Hell, sometimes they get angry just for stating facts about Conor, like that he's the current UFC LW champ.

Funny that you don't mention that.

Also funny that you mention being "delusional" - you're speaking to a stereotype that doesn't actually happen half as often as you pretend it does. Who's really being delusional - the two people who fit the stereotype, or the hundred people hating on those two people and complaining about them like they're everywhere?
Sometimes they get angry about him in threads that aren't about him. Idiots on both sides haters and fans

Sometimes they get angry about him in threads that aren't about him. Idiots on both sides haters and fans
And Khabib fans/Conor haters will turn unrelated threads into Conor bashing threads.

There's idiots on both sides, but it sure seems like the idiots hating on Conor outnumber the ones supporting him by a margin of 10 to 1.

i mean i haven't seen any breakdown of conor's striking that implied it wasn't that good.

unless we're talking about some nobody on sherdog or something.

See Freddie Roach, Chris Van Heerden, Floyd Mayweather Sr., or Saenchai

Cause most will point out things that disprove what they believe.

They believe Conor was an amateur boxing champion, they believe his main weapon is godlike power. If you analyze anything Conor does and in case it goes AGAINST what they believe he does, they get mad.

Truly WWE fan behaviour. They want to creat a character on him that makes it impossible for anybody to judge him impartially, you're either hating, or you gotta juggle his balls in your mouth.

See Freddie Roach, Chris Van Heerden, Floyd Mayweather Sr., or Saenchai

all of which sounded bitter, biased and childish.

yeah roach's " conor punches like a girl " comment was super technical, clearly neutral.

McGregor's striking is the greatest in the league at the moment. Possibly in all of MMA actually.

The way all aspects of MMA are considered and his distance management, shot selection.....combined with his attributes like a long frame and power....it's as close to perfect as you can get imo.

His striking is not perfect, just built around many tendencies most MMA fighters have (horrible head movement, rushing, bad inside angle striking, staying in the centerline doing nothing).

Also, McGregor relies HEAVILY on reach advantage. I'd say even more than JBJ. At close distance he seems to not have a lot other than clinch, or (run) "reset". He needs to stay picking them apart from far, in case he doesn't catch them getting in his range, they get close and land. So far nobody gave him trouble with that, but the few times someone got a punch in, was because he failed at timing them getting close.

Although he constantly refines his game so he could pretty much keep an eye on his tendencies and minimize his flaws constantly, as every fighter should.

Back