Why do camps let fighters get out of shape?

I feel like Max Holloway doesn't actually have issues making 145, if he stays in shape between camps. This can be said for a lot of fighters -- they get too heavy between fights and have trouble making weight (Anthony Pettis).

To me, this is a clear failure on the fighters' camps. The people around them need to be police, and demand that their fighters stay in shape and be disciplined. It can literally be a matter of life and death -- getting overweight between camps can cause your kidneys to shut down during the cut.

I think you're misunderstanding the power dynamic that exists between a professional athlete and the people he/she hires to train with.

The way I understand it is that the coaches run the entire gym, as opposed to one fighter. So when the fighter is not in training camp, and paying the money required to receive the coaches full attention, the coach won’t care and will instead pay attention to their gym. A fighters coach had a fuck lot more to do then pay attention to the fighter.

I think you're misunderstanding the power dynamic that exists between a professional athlete and the people he/she hires to train with.

It's not about a power dynamic. It's simply about trainers being more vocal with their fighters, and shaming them for getting out of shape. Trainers can do a lot to instill qualities in a fighter, and one of those qualities can be the importance of staying in shape.

It's not about a power dynamic. It's simply about trainers being more vocal with their fighters, and shaming them for getting out of shape. Trainers can do a lot to instill qualities in a fighter, and one of those qualities can be the importance of staying in shape.

Trainers, coaches, dietitians, etc., are essentially employees. You go give orders to whoever signs your paycheck and tell us how that goes ;-)

I feel like Max Holloway doesn't actually have issues making 145, if he stays in shape between camps. This can be said for a lot of fighters -- they get too heavy between fights and have trouble making weight (Anthony Pettis).

To me, this is a clear failure on the fighters' camps. The people around them need to be police, and demand that their fighters stay in shape and be disciplined. It can literally be a matter of life and death -- getting overweight between camps can cause your kidneys to shut down during the cut.
Yes it should be a MMA training camp, not some country club resort.

Keep telling yourself that. That must be why he missed the olympics and cost his country a chance at a medal. Must be why he missed weight at 210. Maybe you should read up on his struggles with weight instead of pretending you know what you are talking about.

It's naive to think that just because someone is a pro fighter they don't face the same food issues most of America does.
And he has a huge advantage being heavy. Same as Max. I am pretty sure DC has no problems to walk around a bit lighter if that would be an advantage for his fighting. Since it is not, he can eat more.

Yea it actually is this simple buddy. Fighters are often their own worst enemies -- this is why we have coaches and training camps.
Clearly you’ve never trained and fought in your life. This shit is tough on my body and everyone’s body who fights. To keep a low walk around weight is easier said then done. Your body will go back to what it wants to whether you like it or not.

Sure, you can maintain maybe a few pounds lighter but to say “oh, just eat less and don’t lift weights” is moronic and not realistic.

Btw, I’m not saying you said that but I keep hearing that and it drives me nuts.

Extreme weight cuts will be banned as soon as a UFC fighter dies from it, it's gonna happen eventually.

Calories in vs calories out. 3500 calories == 1lb.

Extreme weight cuts will be banned as soon as a UFC fighter dies from it, it's gonna happen eventually.

I agree it will happen eventually.

You'll get a fighter that's missed weight and/or pulled out of events one too many times, desperate to not miss weight again. They'll push it too far and that will be it.

And when that happens, the UFC will be wide open to a gigantic lawsuit. They've been advised about the dangers of weight cutting numerous times, and refused to implement policies to combat the practice.

Any court will interpret their lack of action on the topic as silent support for weight cutting.

Dude, you have no clue what he eats. These are just your assumptions, describing him like mega eater and drunkard.

Face the facts: He couldn't make 155 on short notice.
That means his normal weight is WAY MORE than 145.

He was injured and had problems training for months leading up to that short notice khabib fight.

it's safe to say that his injured walk around weight does not equal his normal walk around weight.

The weirdest things I've seen are when fighters say they are going to take a couple weeks or a month off and then head back into camp.

As an athlete, it's hard to take 1 extra day off, let alone a week. It's insane to think how some fighters can actually take an entire month off.

If you compare that relative to your average worker, imagine a person taking a full 1/12 of the year for vacation, along with their normally scheduled vacations. That's a fuck ton of vacation time.

I’m not a blind bird you dumb bitch
giphy.gif

You have absolutely no clue what you see when you see it.
Because the only thing you're expert about is burgers your momma brings to your basement.

You have no clue how much Holloway weighs between fights, but what happened in Khabib fight was a FACT you cannot deny.

He was injured and had problems training for months leading up to that short notice khabib fight.

it's safe to say that his injured walk around weight does not equal his normal walk around weight.

I don't remember any news about his injury...

The weirdest things I've seen are when fighters say they are going to take a couple weeks or a month off and then head back into camp.

As an athlete, it's hard to take 1 extra day off, let alone a week. It's insane to think how some fighters can actually take an entire month off.

If you compare that relative to your average worker, imagine a person taking a full 1/12 of the year for vacation, along with their normally scheduled vacations. That's a fuck ton of vacation time.

Exactly. And some fighters do that twice a year. They end up spending nearly 25% of the year on vacation, and then they wonder why they struggle to make weight.

I don't remember any news about his injury...

He hurt his ankle, hence why he pulled out of UFC 222 a month before the khabib fight. It was a big topic at the time because pretty much everybody knew he was going into the khabib fight injured, even khabib commented on it in one of the pressers if I remember correctly.

when he not at the gym part of his fight camps what do you want them to do go to his house every day like they are baby sitters?

Your post has logic but I feel that you might lack life experience. The fighter, like any human, is ultimately always in charge of their own behavior. Coaches and trainer can only do so much, and when they rely on the fighter for their own living, their power is limited.

Back