why do boxers jump rope?

kata guruma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
sorry for the stupid question, but i was just wondering what the benefits of jumping rope are. i bought a jump rope, and will train tonight. but i wanted to know what it worked out, and how many minutes i should jump rope. thanks.

Footwork, being "light" on your feet, stamina, strengthening of leg muscles, speed, coordination, etc.

try for 20 mins, then after 3 and a half, you will know why boxers do it. Great cardio, gets you on the balls of you're feet, which you always do in boxing.... helps youre footwork. There are a ton of other reasons, we do it for about 10 minutes to get loose. The more you put in the more you get out, skip slow, you lose....you push youself and will get faster and better.

awesome, thanks. i'll start off slow tonight, maybe 10 minutes. then i'll do some pushups, crunches, and back to jump rope.

Fighters in general are some of the only adults on the planet who get excited about new jump ropes. It always seems to disturb the kids who work at the Sporting Goods stores how happy I am to buy them.

i don't know about you guys, but i can't skip with regular ropes... i can only skip with weighted ropes, every time i try to go back to the regular ropes my timing is way off and i end up swinging the rope faster than i'm jumping lol

Exact opposite here, but then again I'm heavily dependent on footwork. I can only skip well with speed ropes.

Wow... I just started boxing, and just bought a jump rope...and wow, it has been a while, this is not as easy as I remembered.

Wow... I just started boxing, and just bought a jump rope...and wow, it has been a while, this is not as easy as I remembered.

LOL same. i did it for like 5 minutes and was gassed out. time to do this three times a day every day. should help a lot not only in boxing but also in judo.

Haha, glad I'm not the only one. I have never felt like as much a pussy as I have the past couple of weeks, since I started actually going to a gym and doing this stuff.

when i go to the gym we usually have a few options for warm up including running, jumping jacks, and rope. i enjoy skipping rope, i find it easier to skip for long periods of time than jumping jacks because you dont get as bored, oh ya and i bought a rope from the store recently and the handle was broken, what a rip off.

when i go to the gym we usually have a few options for warm up including running, jumping jacks, and rope. i enjoy skipping rope, i find it easier to skip for long periods of time than jumping jacks because you dont get as bored, oh ya and i bought a rope from the store recently and the handle was broken, what a rip off.

get one at sports authority. only $6 =)

Haha, glad I'm not the only one. I have never felt like as much a pussy as I have the past couple of weeks, since I started actually going to a gym and doing this stuff.

Wait until you first spar a guy who has a lot of experience, and you realize that despite all your bravado, you're helpless as a wet kitten against him.

Yeah, people always give me weird looks at the gym while I'm jumping rope. They won't be laughing when I actually get good at it.

Wait until you first spar a guy who has a lot of experience, and you realize that despite all your bravado, you're helpless as a wet kitten against him.

I remember the first time I ever sparred. I thought I was such a bad ass until I got clocked. lol

i skip 5 days a week for 30 minutes + whatever skipping we do at my Muay Thai school.

i used to be asmathic as a kid but once i started jumping rope, my asthma disappeared.

Jumping rope is so fun, I always look forward to doing it.

I use a Thai jump rope, much heavy then anything I can find back here. Wooded handles and clear flexible pvc plastic are all it is built from. You feel the extra weight in the arm muscles which is great.

I like to do two minuets regular speed then 1 minuet of hard skipping(x10 = 30 mins) Training in intervals is the way to go!

Do you guys mix it up ie using both speed ropes and heavy ropes???

Skipping is great for all martial arts.

Back