Why do average pro MMA fighters who transfer to pro boxing do so well?

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
By average I mean relatively for world level.

Like Lucas Browne who was basically a bum in MMA but as a pro boxer he became an undefeated world champion.
You wanna use his recent lay off as an excuse? fine another example is Ryan Ford...

Ford wasn't a bum, but he was pretty meh for world level all his career getting owned in his biggest fights. Currently well into his 30s he is an active undefeated Pro Boxer no draws, retired from MMA, he destroyed the decorated olympic gold medalist Manus in an early round finish, and he currently holds a couple of minor world titles but with only 12-0-0 record..

First, your title makes it seem like it is the norm for MMA fighters to transition well. You only gave two examples. It'd make more sense to specifically ask about those two fighters, since they are outliers.

Lucas Browne is not just on a recent layoff, he was caught using PEDs twice. He's a cheater. He was never a top level guy anyways, before he got caught juicing he was on path for a big showdown with a 45 year old Shannon Briggs.

I've never even heard of Ryan Ford, but Manus is 5-1 as a pro and has never fought outside of Thailand. Painting him as a great pro based on being an Olympic gold medalist kinda ignores the fact that he was 36 years old and only had 5 professional fights when he fought Ford.

By average I mean relatively for world level.

Like Lucas Browne who was basically a bum in MMA but as a pro boxer he became an undefeated world champion.
You wanna use his recent lay off as an excuse? fine another example is Ryan Ford...

Ford wasn't a bum, but he was pretty meh for world level all his career getting owned in his biggest fights. Currently well into his 30s he is an active undefeated Pro Boxer no draws, retired from MMA, he destroyed the decorated olympic gold medalist Manus in an early round finish, and he currently holds a couple of minor world titles but with only 12-0-0 record..
That is a great question and yet you have seen many "elite" level mma guys get destroyed in boxing .

We have to ask if it's motivation and matchmaking thats played a role .

Maybe these "mma" guys found thier calling and mma was just a conduit to reach it

Sugar Ray Robinson was pretty meh at MMA and quit at the KOTC level.

tbh this was intended as a pure troll post in the heavies lol, then I realized its in the logical people section too late lol

Lucas brownes pro boxing debut was one month after his pro mma debut. Lucas Browne isn't a good boxer and his record is padded and his has one win over an ancient ruslan and he was busted 2 times on peds. Fords pretty good but nothing special.

Perry-Fail-3.gif

They don't. Take Jason Ball who made the switch from MMA where he was 20-14 to pro boxing, not a great record but a winning one, he is now 9 and 25! as a pro boxer lol

Kimbo and Duffy also went like 20-0 between the two of them. Duffy is obviously elite but Kimbo, def "meh". I think the reason namely is that boxers really can cherry pick much more easily where as in MMA, you not only have to fight so many style but there is so many ways to lose.

Also, look at like Rico Veerhoven, arguably the greatest kickboxer in the world - when he came over to MMA, a reg bum was giving him problems on the feet so Rico panic wrestled. I just dont think the skill gap is as wide as some people think, as evidenced by Pennington outstriking Holly Holm.

Poor Perry. He as actually holding his own before he gassed....I somewhat expect MacMay to end up being like, with Conor doing alright for three rounds then when he starts slowing Floyd cranks it up.

lol, no he wasn't. He was being toyed with the whole fight.

Back