Why do atheists still act like they're underdogs?

Whatever happens in the house of god (church, temple, w/e) is your business. when you begin to use your religion to create laws that affect others is where i draw the line. A public school teacher cannot endorse religion. He is paid to teach. Just the same, I don't care what your religion has to say about gays or abortions, those are rights we all are afforded and you cannot pass laws infringing on their rights.
We don't disagree. I just fail to understand how a football coach allowing his team a few moments to pray together, if that is their wish, infringes upon the rights of others.

I guess you don't have to honor the government. Is there something that says that you must honor the government? Does not the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, to bear arms, etc actually ensure that you don't have to respect the government?
I guess if you're cool with anarchy.... I'd prefer a rule of law that worked without religion pretending to have a hand in it. It's laughable.

You never seem to hear atheists say nice things.

Their existence is mere counter.

What's up with that?
You hear them say nice things all the time, probably every day. What's up with being "mere counter" is that atheism only comes up in discussions about theism or religious beliefs. Their position of a lack of belief in the proposition of a God is counter to the proposition, so there's the mere counter. Most of the time atheists are just going on about their non-God-believing day thinking about money or pussy or food.

I guess if you're cool with anarchy.... I'd prefer a rule of law that worked without religion pretending to have a hand in it. It's laughable.
You said respect. I know plenty of people that wouldn't piss on a single elected official if they were on fire, but they still respect the rule of law. Besides, our bill of rights basically ensures we can still revolt against the government. And I think today's society is a far cry from having Christianity control anyone's life without that being their choice. Unless you really believe that seeing "In God We Trust" is really the source of such mental anguish in your everyday life?

Unless there's been a monumental uptick in atheists in the last year or so, or you think there's a considerable number of people who identify as a theist but are actually atheist, i'm not entirely sure how you came to this conclusion.

The US was above 70% christian as of like 2015, unfortunately secularism hasn't won the war quite yet.

Secularism won the war in the 17th century

You said respect. I know plenty of people that wouldn't piss on a single elected official if they were on fire, but they still respect the rule of law. Besides, our bill of rights basically ensures we can still revolt against the government. And I think today's society is a far cry from having Christianity control anyone's life without that being their choice. Unless you really believe that seeing "In God We Trust" is really the source of such mental anguish in your everyday life?
It's not mental anguish, but it's silly, ridiculous, and laughable. It's also why they should erect Baphomet statues in every courthouse that posts the 10 commandments.

We don't disagree. I just fail to understand how a football coach allowing his team a few moments to pray together, if that is their wish, infringes upon the rights of others.

This is one of those, "this isn't a big deal but it can set a bad precedent kind of things" Its certainly not a hot button issue for me, just the idea that a public school coach endorsing religion in a place where religion has no place is a bit problematic.

It's not mental anguish, but it's silly, ridiculous, and laughable. It's also why they should erect Baphomet statues in every courthouse that posts the 10 commandments.
I absolutely think they shouldn't be making statues of the Ten Commandments at courthouses. I also think some of these "issues" are making mountains out of molehills, serving only the whiners and lawyers who represent them. And I say that about both sides.

I absolutely think they shouldn't be making statues of the Ten Commandments at courthouses. I also think some of these "issues" are making mountains out of molehills, serving only the whiners and lawyers who represent them. And I say that about both sides.
Then make it a moot point, and remove them.

Separation of church and state is clear, but butthurt pussy Christians cry and cry if they don't get their special snowflake concessions. It's pathetic and should be ridiculed at every turn.

Why? What if it is the collective belief of the team? What if every person on the team is of the same faith? Why would it be in the interest of the government to prevent them from sharing in that prayer then? Is that not the government enforcing a stance supporting the absence of prayer then?

Well that wasn't your scenario, if it's the collective belief of the team and they all agreed to do I think they'd get away with it. If there is one decenter in the group though, that prayer cannot continue.

This is one of those, "this isn't a big deal but it can set a bad precedent kind of things" Its certainly not a hot button issue for me, just the idea that a public school coach endorsing religion in a place where religion has no place is a bit problematic.
That sounds like the kind of alarmism that can create overdramatic knee-jerk reactions. I think we sometimes get so caught up in precedents, messaging, and such that we lose our ability to analyze the situation with any rationality.

Well that wasn't your scenario, if it's the collective belief of the team and they all agreed to do I think they'd get away with it. If there is one decenter in the group though, that prayer cannot continue.
Or that one individual can choose not to participate since it's the team doing it, not the coach. Why does that one person get to dictate how the rest of the team conducts themselves?

Then make it a moot point, and remove them.

Separation of church and state is clear, but butthurt pussy Christians cry and cry if they don't get their special snowflake concessions. It's pathetic and should be ridiculed at every turn.
Those should be removed. And both sides have so much sand in their vaginas on this issue that it's ridiculous. Militant atheists and evangelical christians are no different than one another at all in this way.

Or that one individual can choose not to participate since it's the team doing it, not the coach. Why does that one person get to dictate how the rest of the team conducts themselves?

Because we live in a Republic and it doesn't matter if it's 100 or 1,000,000 against one, the majority cannot infringe on ones individual rights. And the fact that the coach handed it off to the Captain makes it a Team sponsored prayer, if the religious players went off on their own in private and prayed there wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Because we live in a Republic and it doesn't matter if it's 100 or 1,000,000 against one, the majority cannot infringe on ones individual rights.
But a group of people praying together doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, as long as no one is forced to do anything that they don't want to do. It is an infringement on the other players' rights to enforce a stance of non-prayer because that dictates religious behavior.

But a group of people praying together doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, as long as no one is forced to do anything that they don't want to do. It is an infringement on the other players' rights to enforce a stance of non-prayer because that dictates religious behavior.

No one is infringing on the players right to pray, they can go and pray on their own in private.

im a nonbeliever and totally agree.

if i was being a real dickhead stickler, i could correctly claim that having taxpayers support courthouse nativity scenes and ten commandments etc. is wrong. but.....who the hell cares?

i draw the separation of church and state line where people make real attempts to use public office to indoctrinate. or....when youre forcing tax payers to support a government entity that clearly favors one religion over another. for example, i dont mind if public school teachers share their faith with students, or even their related opinions. ive witnessed teachers who put daily bible verses on their marker boards though.....not cool. its a fine line.

the nonbelievers who lay out on courthouse laws and destroy nativity scenes though are idiots, and give the rest of us a bad name. most nonbelievers are closeted, and dont want to attract such attention to ourselves.

No one is infringing on the players right to pray, they can go and pray on their own in private.
Why can they not pray together in the same room? A group of Buddhist players could collectively meditate together, and a group of atheists could do whatever they wanted together. That's my point. People should be allowed to do what they want without the government deciding for them.

on this issue, i will say this....

at my place of employment, the "boss" will occasionally offer up a prayer when we have meetings. the idea being, "well you arent being forced to pray. its optional."

but that puts me, and other nonbelievers in a F'ing unfair spot. i can either pretend to be a christian and fake pray, OR, i can out myself as a nonbeliver to my coworkers. why should i be forced to do that at work?

Back