why didnt sambo catch on

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In usa? MMA homeland is in usa wrestlings big in areas bjj is very big in the states. so is boxing youde think sambo would be too like in russia. and that there would be lots of tournaments for guys who wana gain experience for mma, or older guys who wana compete but not get hurt. do you think it will ever be anything in usa?

What do you think would be good to help the mma scene grow? mma the only difference in pro is you get paid. some states require shin guards and no gnp on the ground to the head. but still pro and amateur isnt any different really. i think sambo would be great for guys to get good at the mma game mixing up takedowns with strikes ect.

Because Americans didn't want to play a sport invented by communists?

In usa? MMA homeland is in usa wrestlings big in areas bjj is very big in the states. so is boxing youde think sambo would be too like in russia. and that there would be lots of tournaments for guys who wana gain experience for mma, or older guys who wana compete but not get hurt. do you think it will ever be anything in usa?

What do you think would be good to help the mma scene grow? mma the only difference in pro is you get paid. some states require shin guards and no gnp on the ground to the head. but still pro and amateur isnt any different really. i think sambo would be great for guys to get good at the mma game mixing up takedowns with strikes ect.

Traditional sport Sambo, is very much like Judo, most Sambo clubs in Russia are also Judo Clubs. They used to practice the various ruleset depending on which contest they were training for. This may have changed with the popularity of MMA, and there now may be "Combat Sambo" Clubs. Because they were sister styles, and because the two disciplines were so much a like, Judo became more popular because it was older therefore more established, many clubs that are operating today were formed in the 1960's.

I think the new "Combat Sambo" which is what uses the shin pads, and is very much like amateur MMA, is a relatively new sport. It would be very hard to open a school where you train like the Russians do, because the United States is the country with the most frivolous lawsuits. Hell lets be honest, most " MMA schools" are actually schools where they have Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, and wrestling, but most of the members do not fight or train MMA 100%. It's full of upper middle class Moms and Dads, and their teenage kids who have dreams of being MMA stars which they will never achieve. If it does have a fighter program, the fighters train separately from the regular members.

i think reason guys dont train or fight mma nowadays n usa is due to the injuries and fighting in a cage is alot of work vs a ring tbh combat sambo would be alot easier better wouldnt have to be near as inshape thats why i like it to mma for certain people

There were no clubs and no coaches. No competitions either. Makes it pretty tough to catch on.

Ive read about this a little. I will post the link but I think it comes down to a few main reasons. Im pretty sure sambo enjoyed widespread participation in the 80s because it was housed under the AAU and then USA wrestling/FILA. During this time many top wrestlers competed in sambo tournaments because they were already there for the wrestling part of it. As this phase ended in came the Eastern European/Soviet immigrants who ran it for a while. I think sambo did well for a while under these conditions as well. It didn't last too long though as many of these guys were pretty much just gangsters from overseas. They brought over not only their sambo skills but their beefs and grudges. Sambo was mismanaged and the infrastructure was corrupt/criminal, so it didn't last too long. Eventually the governing bodies split and the whole scene was just too diffuse and diluted to really catch on.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/russian-gangsters-and-russian-wrestlers

http://fightland.vice.com/tag/sambo

There were no clubs and no coaches. No competitions either. Makes it pretty tough to catch on.
You have competed quite a bit in USA Wrestling/FILA grappling right? How similar in ruleset was it to sport sambo?

You have competed quite a bit in USA Wrestling/FILA grappling right? How similar in ruleset was it to sport sambo?
Nothing alike. I have done sambo for fun a few times because two of my old training partners immigrated from Ukraine and competed in Sambo, but it wasnt anything like wrestling or grappling.

Nothing alike. I have done sambo for fun a few times because two of my old training partners immigrated from Ukraine and competed in Sambo, but it wasnt anything like wrestling or grappling.
Really? That's surprising. I figured sport or freestyle sambo was basically a form of sub grappling. You know anything about Greg Gibson? The NCAA All American guy from the 80s who won medals in freestyle, Greco, and sambo? Is he still around teaching anywhere?

Also, I used to train at this MMA gym that got four Russian immigrants who all did sambo. They were fucking awesome.

or not even sambo mma was huge back in 2007-2010 idk why sambo didnt catch on then or kudo some type of amateurish mma thats safer to do so people can safely compete and not break there body down we need something like this or russia is gonna own usa in next 5 years

i think sambo works well just due to the gi top making it loo more traditional that will make guys want to do it instead of just having no shirt or a t shirt and shorts guys should just wear a judo gi with pants or shorts no shoes so can kick wear shin guards so can do mma just no knees or elbows on the ground with all the grappling tournaments around and striking i cant believe they dont also do something like this and have certain rules depending on experience

i think its going to take somebody like ronda, who pushed judo forward...judo isnt very big in the US but a lot more people became interested in training once they saw what ronda was doing

personally i train at a small bjj club and an even smaller judo club...before ronda there was one guy who trained in both, and he really only went to judo because he could bring his young daughter with him

since ronda came along quite a few of our bjj guys have started to crossover...maybe if khabib keeps going? id be interested in it for sure if i could find anywhere that taught it, im sure there are plenty of guys like me out there

i dont see jjudo getting big anytime soon bjj is big and that will over shadow judo but i could see sambo since its mma people are gonna try tot rain bjj for there grappling generally and kick boxing for striking but could meet in middle and compete in sambo i thought about putting on an event u dont ened a athletic commission as long as you wear headgear it would be a great tool for kids to become mma monsters thats why khabib is sucha monster im sure

imagine kid starts wrestling in 5th grade and doing bjj striking at 12 starts to compete in all 3 sambo tournaments or mma all that experience then at 20 goes pro along with his amateur boxing /kick boxing background too with all that id be impossible not to make it to ufc

i dont see jjudo getting big anytime soon bjj is big and that will over shadow judo but i could see sambo since its mma people are gonna try tot rain bjj for there grappling generally and kick boxing for striking but could meet in middle and compete in sambo i thought about putting on an event u dont ened a athletic commission as long as you wear headgear it would be a great tool for kids to become mma monsters thats why khabib is sucha monster im sure

imagine kid starts wrestling in 5th grade and doing bjj striking at 12 starts to compete in all 3 sambo tournaments or mma all that experience then at 20 goes pro along with his amateur boxing /kick boxing background too with all that id be impossible not to make it to ufc
You do realize Judo is the second most poular sport in the world right? Second only to soccer. Judo is immensley popular worldwide. Even in Brazil it is more popular than BJJ

that is a good idea and you know what now that you mention it fuck sambo
525.png

You do realize Judo is the second most poular sport in the world right? Second only to soccer. Judo is immensley popular worldwide. Even in Brazil it is more popular than BJJ
yes in the world not in usa though is what im saying

or not even sambo mma was huge back in 2007-2010 idk why sambo didnt catch on then or kudo some type of amateurish mma thats safer to do so people can safely compete and not break there body down we need something like this or russia is gonna own usa in next 5 years

i think sambo works well just due to the gi top making it loo more traditional that will make guys want to do it instead of just having no shirt or a t shirt and shorts guys should just wear a judo gi with pants or shorts no shoes so can kick wear shin guards so can do mma just no knees or elbows on the ground with all the grappling tournaments around and striking i cant believe they dont also do something like this and have certain rules depending on experience
I see your point, but I think our progression will be at least on par with that of Russia in terms of MMA. They have sambo, but they've had sambo for a very long time. Sambo practitioners have been in MMA since the very beginning. Oleg Taktarov, Andre Semenov, Fedor, Amar Sulouev, Ansar Chalangov, Igor Zinoviev, and others have been participating in MMA at the highest levels since even before the 1st UFC card. They were all very good, among the best in the world. I think the difference between these guys and the newer crop of sambo guys is mostly location. Khabib, Bagautinov, Khabilov and all the others are from Dagestan, a place where Im sure you know freestyle and Greco roman wrestling are king and these newer guys came to the table with not just sambo but freestyle, Greco, judo, FILA style grappling, pankration, etc.

Secondly, while we do not have widespread participation in sambo, we do have platforms for things like san shou, pankration, amateur MMA, and then the deeply entrenched American institutions of scholastic wrestling, karate, boxing, tae kwon do, etc. We also have the best MMA gyms in the world. So even if most of our future MMAers come up competing in only 1 art, they will have plenty opportunity to round that out at a later time.

Im not saying youre wrong though. I think something like sambo would be a nice thing to have, and I agree about the TMA angle attracting a wider degree of participation. I just think we will be fine without it too.

Back