Why did UFC finally give chuck strikers when he was already out of his prime?

king of theRing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His biggest threat on the feet in his run in UFC was Vernon white, and before that was only Belfort. We only saw chuck in his prime fight strikers in pride.

Do you think if he fought more strikers in his prime, he would have lost more?

Fan or not, the guy was gifted with a murderers row......... Of grapplers in his prime

They were not available when he was in his prime.
Btw I thought for a second your name is King of the Yellow cards.

The UFC 205 division during Chuck's prime wasn't exactly stacked with capable strikers (or LHW fighters in general). He had to go to Japan to fight strikers like Reem, Page, Mezger

The best LHWs were in Pride.

Shogun, Wandy, Lil Nog, Arona, Cleanereem, Rampage...

Last edited:
He fought who was available. Was there anybody he didn'tfight in the. UFC back then?

He might have declined sooner if he was fighting only strikers - but I think that had to do with his stylistic disregard for solid defense. The whole "leave openings to bait the other guy to take risks" was a bad look for the end of his career.

chuck was really, the only striker who was beating people with their strikes. I think he was in a time where wrestling was the best choice of offense and there were many who wrestled.

It's tiring hearing this over and over again. Keep trying to delegitimize Chuck's record.

it is.

So which LHW strikers were in the UFC at the time that you would have fed Chuck.

I'll wait
Fuck could have gave him Franklin while he was at 205.

I would have paid for James fucking Irvin than a Jeremy horn rematch 25 years later

I guess most of the strikers at 205 were in pride. They tried to make the Wand fight, but it came about too late.

I guess maybe more my point, why not just continue the grappling tradition after realizing strikers wasn't going to work

I'm sure Chuck himself would have fought anyone but I think his latter fights were often examples of the UFC underestimating his opponents...

Rampage - Common opinion was that he was on the slide after the beating from Wanderlei and Shogun, many felt he lost to Lindland and didn't look that amazing vs Eastman either although the latter did hit at the danger he posed on the counter.

Jardine - Had just been KOed in 30 secs by Alexander and was likely viewed as chinny.

Rashad - Whilst undefeated he was coming off of some rather underwhelming performances like Bisping and Tito and was viewed as a bit of a disappointment post TUF.

Shogun - Coming off a a logn injury and a not great performance vs Coleman many thought he was done as an elite fighter.

In all those cases suspect the UFC thought they were giving Chuck a much easier match than they actually were.

It was a dark time.. it was the time of LnP and WnS slowly being born

Fighters were phased out and replaced by competitors

I'm sure Chuck himself would have fought anyone but I think his latter fights were often examples of the UFC underestimating his opponents...

Rampage - Common opinion was that he was on the slide after the beating from Wanderlei and Shogun, many felt he lost to Lindland and didn't look that amazing vs Eastman either although the latter did hit at the danger he posed on the counter.

Jardine - Had just been KOed in 30 secs by Alexander and was likely viewed as chinny.

Rashad - Whilst undefeated he was coming off of some rather underwhelming performances like Bisping and Tito and was viewed as a bit of a disappointment post TUF.

Shogun - Coming off a a logn injury and a not great performance vs Coleman many thought he was done as an elite fighter.

In all those cases suspect the UFC thought they were giving Chuck a much easier match than they actually were.
Rampage, Rashad were tough opponents
Jardine and Shogun should be easy fights though

That's back when they were trying to see who was actually best vs each other before they were more concerned with making a star and directing paths to titles

Back