Why Did Tyron Woodley Duck Colby Covington?

There is only one Woodley, but every WW wants a title shot. You can't fight everyone who calls you out

No but you can fight a top 5 fighter, instead of calling out an unranked welterweight. That's the issue here. Tyron wanting a fight with Nate Diaz is cowardice of the highest order.

As a side note to this discussion: I don't think we're going to see Woodley for a while. He was willing to postpone shoulder surgery for a "money fight", but I don't see him fighting a #1 contender without getting surgery. GSP has colitis and won't be back until at least summer 2018, if ever. Nate Diaz is definitely not getting a title shot after smack talking Dana White, and the general backlash the UFC received for even considering that fight.

All this leads me to believe that Tyron will have shoulder surgery in the next few weeks. If he does, this is serious -- the recovery time for throwing athletes having labrum surgery is 3-4 months before they can return to "early" interval throwing. Source:
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/slap-tears

This means if Tyron has his surgery, he likely won't be able to return to training camp until April, which means he won't be fighting until June (at the earliest). This sucks, because this essentially puts the welterweight division on hold for a full year.

I think Colby is the one who is ducking, he's ducking Brasil at the moment

Man, if this fight were to happen, it would be the first time I have been rooting for Tyron sice he won the belt and started spewing racist BS. Gotta give it up to Tyron,
He's been active while other divisions have been on hold. Like him as champ or not, he's at least been fighting top contenders. Colby trying to shit talk his way into a fight...would be nice to see Woodley shut his punk ass up.

Woodley shoukd vacate if he’s not going to sign anfight with number one contenders soon.

Make rda/lawler title fight.

Let tyrone’s Boring ass rott

I think it's stupid to believe that TWood is scared of anybody, man's looking damn unstoppable lately. That said, Diaz is probably a bigger money fight for him, casuals love Diaz, and don't know who Covington is.

Woodley knows if he loses the belt without getting the 'money fight' he is going to have a hard time getting another shot after being such a diva.

Woodley is looking up to find bigger names and hopefully bigger money fights. He feels Covington is a waste of his time and isn't worthy of a shot at this time. He isn't doing anything different from some other title holders. I would love to see the fight personally. I think Woodley would take it without much of a problem and shut Covington up for a minute.

Man, if this fight were to happen, it would be the first time I have been rooting for Tyron sice he won the belt and started spewing racist BS. Gotta give it up to Tyron,
He's been active while other divisions have been on hold. Like him as champ or not, he's at least been fighting top contenders. Colby trying to shit talk his way into a fight...would be nice to see Woodley shut his punk ass up.

How is that applicable to Tyron but not Colby?

Calls for a fight with Nate Diaz but turns down a fight with a legit contender and opts for surgery. Now we're stuck with a WMMA main event. Pretty lame.

Man I swear you guys are purposefully misinformed.

The UFC offered the Diaz fight to Woodley not the other way around. And Covington has been a "contender" for 2 weeks. How can Woodley duck someone who wasn't in the discussion for a title fight until he called Brazilians animals.

Dana hasn't even been singing his praises. Dana talked about Stephen Thompson and Maia deserving a title shot.

Woodley shoukd vacate if he’s not going to sign anfight with number one contenders soon.

Make rda/lawler title fight.

Let tyrone’s Boring ass rott
Say what?

Woodley fought 4 times in a year against the top 3 in his division.

How is Covington the number one contender?

Same reason everyone is ducking him. He's a dangerous fight that no one cares about. All risk no reward.

No but you can fight a top 5 fighter, instead of calling out an unranked welterweight. That's the issue here. Tyron wanting a fight with Nate Diaz is cowardice of the highest order.

Is it cowardice or a simple (perhaps misguided) money grab?

How do you know what's going on inside the guy's head?

People can have different reasons for doing different things.

If anyone deserves a money fight, it's Tyron. He is a champion he actually defends his belt and against very good fighters. If Colby is good, he will get his shot no matter what. Just a matter of time.

If anyone deserves a money fight, it's Tyron. He is a champion he actually defends his belt and against very good fighters. If Colby is good, he will get his shot no matter what. Just a matter of time.

Fuck that. If he's wanting to fight a LW gatekeeper he should vacate the belt

Back