Why did Roger Gracie quit competing?

Lots of shitting on Roger in this thread. the man took amazing chances and came up as less than the best in exactly one of them. he's a goddamn hero, imo

Nobody is shitting on him. I gave him the best compliment he could possibly get by calling him undisputed GOAT of his sport.

And it's clear he is, considering the respect he gets because his fans get easily triggered over nothing.

his fans get easily triggered over nothing.

If that was your goal, I guess you got the job done. I initially assumed you were mentally challenged reading your questions and did my best to answer them in good faith. Joke's on me I suppose.

If that was your goal, I guess you got the job done. I initially assumed you were mentally challenged reading your questions and did my best to answer them in good faith. Joke's on me I suppose.

LOL you're definitely the one mentally challenged if you got that out of my post. What's the matter fruitcake you feel "betrayed" or some other weird BS, like I trolled you or something? Don't worry my intention wasn't to trigger a sensitive little cult following fangirl like you although it seems Roger is the type of figure who will get you hate if you do anything but worship him. GG. 2 likes in 43 shitposts in 3+ years yeah no you're an amazing poster skippy.

LOL you're definitely the one mentally challenged if you got that out of my post. What's the matter fruitcake you feel "betrayed" or some other weird BS, like I trolled you or something? Don't worry my intention wasn't to trigger a sensitive little cult following fangirl like you although it seems Roger is the type of figure who will get you hate if you do anything but worship him. GG. 2 likes in 43 shitposts in 3+ years yeah no you're an amazing poster skippy.
:D

You think long term, legacy, records that can or can't be broken etc. If you cement a place in history that nobody else may ever pass, it's a very good motivation and goal imo.

I'm not a follower of this sport btw, more of a casual fan. since his retirement have there been new competitors that could give him a run for his money?
Your opinion as a non follower casual fan will be approprietly filed with the rest of the trash.
What Roger did will never be forgotten. Submitting everyone in his run for a couple of adcc championships and mundials is unheard of. Records are made to be broken. He went to mma. He actually is in a smaller show and wins. He's fighting at his level. He's a legend

Your opinion as a non follower casual fan will be approprietly filed with the rest of the trash.
What Roger did will never be forgotten. Submitting everyone in his run for a couple of adcc championships and mundials is unheard of. Records are made to be broken. He went to mma. He actually is in a smaller show and wins. He's fighting at his level. He's a legend

My level of knowledge on BJJ is not relevant to the argument, case in point I have had nothing but admiration displayed for his grappling career, you fruit. You're no better than anyone just because you're a bigger follower of a particular sport.

I just think it's funny that guys like you are glorifying his failed MMA career(MMA I do know a lot about). He gets KTFO against mediocre King Mo in embarrassing fashion and lost his only UFC fight, another embarassing fight where the GOAT grappler failed to submit a fellow grappler even after he took his back. He's now winning against people who don't even have wiki pages. Yeah, how glorious.

Get mad, cultists.

Last edited:
My level of knowledge on BJJ is not relevant to the argument, case in point I have had nothing but admiration displayed for his grappling career, you fruit.
I just think it's funny that guys like you are glorifying his failed MMA career(MMA I do know a lot about). He gets KTFO against mediocre King Mo in embarrassing fashion and lost his only UFC fight, another embarassing fight where the GOAT grappler failed to submit a fellow grappler even after he took his back. He's now winning against people who don't even have wiki pages. Yeah, how glorious.

Get mad, cultists.
I'm not even sure your point. You are not relevant. I 100 percent agree with that. Everything after that I didn't read.

Sure you didn't. Every word in that post which was the brutal truth pierced through your delusion about Roger's MMA career.
You are crazy. You should get some help. I'm pretty sure I said he's winning against his level of mma fighters. The only reason I responded because your lack of knowledge in the bjj world. He is a legend. He has done what nobody else has done in grappling. Someone might but nobody has. I was just trying to let you know. Instead you come off as a mad meathead. Go back to the ufc forum where everyone thinks they know a lot about mma but nobody trains. We train on this forum and we are educated about it.

Have a day....

You are crazy. You should get some help. I'm pretty sure I said he's winning against his level of mma fighters.

Which is below even B-level like Bellator, because he already got KO'd at that level. So you are not proving me wrong about his MMA career being a failure. Do you think he went into this sport because he was looking to be champ of d-level comp who don't have wiki pages? Obviously not. I don't believe people who act like they are more than ok with him being a can in MMA, while he could be beating the amazing new generation in BJJ. You can lie to me but not to yourselves.

As for me treating you poorly, I was humble and honest enough to admit that I'm a casual fan of grappling sports. Of course on message boards this is seen as a sign of weakness, so right away I get attacked personally unprovoked. The attackers didn't expect to get smacked back so hard so now I'm the bad guy for responding in the same manner. Hilarious.

Last edited:
I just think it's funny that guys like you are glorifying his failed MMA career

I can't find a single post in this thread where anyone glorifies shit about Rogers MMA career, half of the posts say it didn't go well and the other half say he did ok with some qualification. There is nothing humble or respectful about anything you wrote, you asked a bunch of dumb questions you could have googled the answers and then said you thought he was wasting his talent. If that's your position at least have the balls to make an argument for it, instead you posted some weak shit and then started arguing with the people who correctly dumped on you. You are not being bullied by fanbois here just people with a low tolerance for stupidity.

Your whole argument seems to be, because Rogers MMA career didn't go AMAZINGLY, he should somehow go back in time and do more grappling competitions to somehow raise his standing in the grappling community more?! You're correct I guess, nobody should bother doing anything unless they know ahead of time they will be the best at it :rolleyes:.

I can't find a single post in this thread where anyone glorifies shit about Rogers MMA career, half of the posts say it didn't go well and the other half say he did ok with some qualification.

-Someone lied about him having UFC wins when in reality he got in due to his name and lost once in a supposedly winnable fight and then got canned.
-I see one comment claiming he did "quite well" when he never beat a ranked opponent and only beat completely shot old fighters, and lost to the only two good fighters he faced. Is this what he signed up for? No.

You should learn how to read or stop covering your eyes with sausages. Several in the thread tried to make his MMA career sound impressive when it was a total failure in reality.

There is nothing humble or respectful about anything you wrote, you asked a bunch of dumb questions you could have googled the answers

Lets close the whole forum then since there's google to answer everything already. You're a dope.

You're just a narcissist who actually takes offense when somebody doesn't know something about your precious sport. Like "how dare you not know that". So insecure and childish it's hilarious to see grown men act like this.

and then said you thought he was wasting his talent. If that's your position at least have the balls to make an argument for it

Here's my argument again for you: he quit the sport he was the best at @ 28 to go become a failure in another sport. After the Kennedy fight when he was still in his early 30s he still didn't get the memo. Michael Jordan sucked at baseball so he went back and dominated his own sport some more. He didn't have 'anything to prove' either, but he went from a regular legend to the GOAT. Roger wasted the good number of years he had left by not competing in BJJ. Fair play if he retired from sports, but he's not since he's still putting everything into MMA by fighting cans so why no BJJ? Meanwhile after he left several amazing grapplers have come up so the challenge is there. You know I'm right on this, that's why you're fighting this so hard. Truth hurts.

You are not being bullied by fanbois here just people with a low tolerance for stupidity.

LOL don't flatter yourself I've been in flamewars online for years this is nothing new to me. A bullying is earlier on in the thread when you only had a lone smiley to answer with. People who can dish it out but can't take it can't bully anyone, too much estrogen not enough testosterone. Your mistake was you took my honesty as a sign of weakness.

Your whole argument seems to be, because Rogers MMA career didn't go AMAZINGLY

More damage control. It went SPECTACULARLY bad. Like Ishii level bad in terms of promising prospects not delivering.

he should somehow go back in time and do more grappling competitions to somehow raise his standing in the grappling community more?!

Years from now when his accomplishments are surpassed by someone who sticks around longer in BJJ than he did, you'll see what I mean. It'll be "what if?" left and right. In the meantime have fun spazzing out unprovoked towards anybody who doesn't want to be a part of your cult.

Last edited:
Competing in anything is a grind and eventually you just don't want to anymore

On a related but different note, he has my full respect for going from bjj to mma and challenging himself no matter how it went for him. I feel like mma is the ultimate test for bjj and it seems like a bunch of guys and ladies make "excuses" not to jump into mma.

-Someone lied about him having UFC wins when in reality he lost once in a supposedly winnable fight and then got canned.

Lied or was mistaken? I couldn't remember which of his fights were in Strikeforce or UFC from that time either.

Lets close the whole forum then since there's google to answer everything already. You're a dope.

You're just a narcissist who actually takes offense when somebody doesn't know something about your precious sport. Like "how dare you not know that". So insecure and childish it's hilarious to see grown men act like this.

My own replies had nothing to do with your knowledge about grappling, the only person bringing that up is you. The reference to google was regarding your lack of balls to state your argument upfront rather baiting with a statement and jumping on the replies. Also my childish, narcissistic insecurity is none of your business sir.

Here's my argument again for you: he quit the sport he was the best at @ 28 to go become a failure in another sport. After the Kennedy fight when he was still in his early 30s he still didn't get the memo. Michael Jordan sucked at baseball so he went back and dominated his own sport some more. He didn't have 'anything to prove' either, but he went from a regular legend to the GOAT. Roger wasted the good number of years he had left by not competing in BJJ. Fair play if he retired from sports, but he's still putting everything into MMA by fighting cans. You know I'm right on this, that's why you're fighting this so hard. Truth hurts doesn't it?

Like I said in my initial reply, I think you misunderstand the athletes motivation in this particular case and more generally. Roger said he competed in grappling to test himself and his jiu jitsu, he switched to MMA to test himself again. You say Roger wasted years by not continuing to compete in BJJ, I'm sure he felt that staying in grappling was a waste of what was left of his athletic career. A lack of success at the peak of MMA doesn't invalidate that decision. Also someone has to fight cans, it sucks when they fight each other, why don't the cans just retire too since they suck so bad?! I can agree with you broadly that his MMA career was/is disappointing, especially in comparison to his grappling career but there is no truth to be reached here, just a difference of perspectives.

The only thing I feel I'm fighting against in this discussion is your miserable career guidance by hindsight. I don't understand exactly why Roger should quit from your perspective? Because its beneath him and his grappling GOAT status to perform worse in MMA than he did in BJJ? Because its a pointless exercise for anyone to compete unless they are on the way to the top? Please help me understand. I'm sure he has his own reasons for continuing to compete, and I don't begrudge him continuing his MMA career for as long as he wants to crush cans in ONE FC.

LOL don't flatter yourself kid, I've been in flamewars online for years this is nothing to me. A bullying is earlier on in the thread when I laid the smackdown on you and you only had a lone smiley to answer with. People who can dish it out but can't take it can't bully anyone, too much estrogen not enough testosterone.

I'm not sure this is something to brag about, please talk more about my post count like anyone cares.

See you're doing damage control again. It went SPECTACULARLY bad. Like Ishii level bad in terms of promising prospects not delivering.

No damage control, the badness or otherwise of his MMA career isn't the point, your suggestion that is/was a waste of time is what people are arguing against here and its success or otherwise isn't the only factor.

Years from now when his accomplishments are surpassed by someone who sticks around longer in BJJ than he did, you'll see what I mean. In the meantime just have fun spazzing out unprovoked towards anybody who doesn't want to be a part of your cult.

He has no control over who does or doesn't surpass his accomplishments in the future, again it seems like you misjudge what motivates people to compete. If he wasn't satisfied enough with his achievements in grappling he wouldn't have switched. Your opinion as to what the correct number of Mundial wins to stop anyone overtaking him as the statistical GOAT or whatever is kind of irrelevant and misses the point of competition entirely. I'm not sure what else to say.

-Someone lied about him having UFC wins when in reality he got in due to his name and lost once in a supposedly winnable fight and then got canned.
-I see one comment claiming he did "quite well" when he never beat a ranked opponent and only beat completely shot old fighters, and lost to the only two good fighters he faced. Is this what he signed up for? No.

You should learn how to read or stop covering your eyes with sausages. Several in the thread tried to make his MMA career sound impressive when it was a total failure in reality.

Here's my argument again for you: he quit the sport he was the best at @ 28 to go become a failure in another sport. After the Kennedy fight when he was still in his early 30s he still didn't get the memo. Michael Jordan sucked at baseball so he went back and dominated his own sport some more. He didn't have 'anything to prove' either, but he went from a regular legend to the GOAT. Roger wasted the good number of years he had left by not competing in BJJ. Fair play if he retired from sports, but he's not since he's still putting everything into MMA by fighting cans so why no BJJ? Meanwhile after he left several amazing grapplers have come up so the challenge is there. You know I'm right on this, that's why you're fighting this so hard. Truth hurts.

LOL don't flatter yourself I've been in flamewars online for years this is nothing new to me. A bullying is earlier on in the thread when you only had a lone smiley to answer with. People who can dish it out but can't take it can't bully anyone, too much estrogen not enough testosterone. Your mistake was you took my honesty as a sign of weakness.

More damage control. It went SPECTACULARLY bad. Like Ishii level bad in terms of promising prospects not delivering.

Years from now when his accomplishments are surpassed by someone who sticks around longer in BJJ than he did, you'll see what I mean. It'll be "what if?" left and right. In the meantime have fun spazzing out unprovoked towards anybody who doesn't want to be a part of your cult.
Hey man. Where do you train again?

Edit: to clarify I'm trying to find out what school you train at the makes you an expert in mma

Last edited:
I just think it's funny that guys like you are glorifying his failed MMA career(MMA I do know a lot about). He gets KTFO against mediocre King Mo in embarrassing fashion

He got (accidently) headbutted by King Mo and finished of with a right hand to the face when he was dazed.

Mma expert lol. Mma fan boy lol

Actually in a podcast, tom de Blas's talks about mma fans and how they just put down anyone that just have not won on the last ufc card.

In grappling, fans will never forget your achievements.

In mma, fans will just put you in the rubbish bin if you have not on the latest ufc card.

But then what else to expect from mma fan, it just the fans of "just bleed" blood sport. Pretty sure most of them walks around with their mma douchebag t shirt but never actually being on the mats.

funny how people wonder why a guy retired early and then in the next thread are calling fighters to retire in another

oh sherdog

Back