Why did Mirko Cro Crop have such a disappointing UFC run?

Lots of fights, injuries, cage and drug testing.

1281053231livebait1.jpg

Ain't nothin' but shitheads and assholes living in Wisconsin.

Mirko had 136 fights in his career in MMA, kickboxing and amateur boxing starting in 1996. He was 10 years into his career when he got to the UFC so his injuries are a legit reason for underperforming.
This is the real answer, but I imagine maybe only 2% of the people on here can understand it.

People underestimate ageing like it is just an excuse, most people exponentially decline athletically after the age of 25. Its not Roids or fighting cans, once you lose cognitive ability in certain areas your weaknesses become more pronounced.

Ten years of combat sports would do that to some people.

1. Drug testing
2. Better opponents that had full time training camps
3. Ring & cage
4. Wasn't as great as people hyped him up.
5. Couldn't deal with elbows.
6. Fighting for a long time in different combat sports

Few reasons why, really have to decide what you believe the reasons are...

I think the cage was a huge factor, he was also very gun shy during his run.

too many wars in Pride

The Gonzaga loss was a freak of nature loss, he didn't expect that. no one did. and I think that 1 KO ended his prime

This.
I would add that he he was a small heavy weight and by UFC standards should have been fighting at LHW. I suspect weight cutting was too alien for him (physically /mentally) so he went down the wrong path(to me) and bulked up. He lost the speed, timing and movement he had when lighter.

He wasn't the strongest mentally and the pride style of building a fighter up with easier fights worked for him well. Once he believed he was a killer that's what he became, there was no hesitation and he pushed you to make a mistake. After the Gonzaga loss he had too much doubt and held back waiting to capitalise. Anyone who doubts should watch the Pride gp, first the shear brutality against Barnett than the ruthless speed and angles against Silva.

Also the cage vs ring argument has some merit. In a ring he never had to second guess his sprawl as his legs would just keep going outside, worst case a stand up. In the cage I think he always had it in his head and wasn't totally focus on the job.

I say all this with the utmost respect to Mirko as he was my favourite fighter for bloody years, definitely no disrespect meant about the mentality point.

That Gonzaga kick would make anyone gun shy also Kongo and Reem destroyed his nuts so bad I'm surprised he ever fought again.

He lost his prime over night and happened to be when he was in the ufc.

He's too small for heavyweight and too big for Light heavyweight. He's in that totally screwed between size range. He is an example of why a 220ish 230ish pound weight class should exist.

If he couldn't deal with other small heavyweights like Nog and fedor, who also performed like overall garbage themselves against legit western competition.. then what the hell did he expect to do against the true heavyweight monsters in the UFC? Don't give me that Josh barnett is huge crap.. We saw recently that Josh was just a 230s pounder all along who just oversized himself to 250s. Has mirko ever done well against a true big heavyweight that's not some Pride can or a hong man freak show choi?
Mirks best win is probably his revenge elbow against Gonzaga and that was a lucky shot.. not to mention that gabe is trash tier as well.

Last edited:
Even the mods are in love with Murko.

This is a legitimate question.

Back