Why did McGregor fight like he did?

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Why did McGregor walk forward at the start and immediately throw some of his best shots instead of trying to draw Mayweather in like he did v Aldo & Alvarez.

Mayweather thrives on exactly that and McGregor played right into Mayweather's strengths instead of dismantling his weaknesses.

McGregor did better than most expected showing a decent jab, but I am sure many MMA fans were expecting a better performance based on his past performances.

giphy.gif

floyd-mayweather-vs-zab-judah.gif

200.gif

DjEzRFI.gif

PassionateWaryCormorant-size_restricted.gif

emfq0myyc76djnwzg.jpg

McGregor is an aggressive fighter at heart watch his fights other than Aldo... besides not really a smart move to try and fool Mayweather into overextending himself

if he was a pure counter striker like Anderson for instance, he would've had some shitty fights by now

Because that was his best shot at winning imo.

It is just a matter of time until Floyd has figured out his opponent and shuts him down.

Also, Conor predicted he would stop him inside 2 or 4 rounds or something...

Why did McGregor walk forward at the start and immediately throw some of his best shots instead of trying to draw Mayweather in like he did v Aldo & Alvarez.

Mayweather thrives on exactly that and McGregor played right into Mayweather's strengths instead of dismantling his weaknesses.

McGregor did better than most expected showing a decent jab, but I am sure many MMA fans were expecting a better performance based on his past performances.

giphy.gif

floyd-mayweather-vs-zab-judah.gif

200.gif

DjEzRFI.gif

PassionateWaryCormorant-size_restricted.gif

emfq0myyc76djnwzg.jpg

Aldo went full mungo

Because Mayweather is not stupid and McGregor’s camp knew his only shot was to land a haymaker early.

Lol @ Conor trying to “draw him in”, as if Floyd was going to fall for some trap set by McGregor. Conor and his fans should be counting their blessings Mayweather didn’t take the fight seriously.

Conor thought he was packing bricks for fists. He was packing pillows instead. The really fluffy soft baby goose feather down types.

Because he’s a terrible boxer.

He also thought he had power Floyd had never experienced.

Floyd laughed at him.

He believed his own hype that he could finish Floyd in 4 rds.

He's a pillowfisted bum. Floyd schooled him.

I mean we pretty much all knew he would come out strong as possible because that was his only chance. The only thing that boggled my mind is how much ineffective volume he threw in that fight.

McGregor didn't fight particularly aggressive, he didn't have much of anything on the majority of what he did throw, and he was on the backfoot most of the night. If you think that was aggressive fighting, then you haven't watched a whole lot of boxing. Basically, he never had anything resembling a gameplan which could have realistically been expected to be successful because he didn't have anything resembling a real boxing camp or coaches (he'd still have no chance even if he did have those things, but his gameplan might have at least made a bit of sense if he had either of those things).

He can never beat Floyd, so he did what he had to do

LOL Conor is NEVER going to be able to "draw" Floyd in and counter him effectively. He isn't close to skilled enough.

Also i am not sure you know what the hell you watched

I mean we pretty much all knew he would come out strong as possible because that was his only chance. The only thing that boggled my mind is how much ineffective volume he threw in that fight.

It shouldn't boggle your mind. Conor does not know how to generate power unless he is loading up on his back foot and launching his body into it (which is something you can't do in Boxing vs a good opponent).

It shouldn't boggle your mind. Conor does not know how to generate power unless he is loading up on his back foot and launching his body into it (which is something you can't do in Boxing vs a good opponent).

Well I figured he would be conservative as possible and bait Mayweather to come in and only throw power shots for a hail marry. But he was throwing punches like he was Jimmy Young

Well I figured he would be conservative as possible and bait Mayweather to come in and only throw power shots for a hail marry. But he was throwing punches like he was Jimmy Young

He probably wanted to do that but Floyd is WAY smarter then him in a boxing ring. Floyd took away any chance Conor had at throwing anything with power (since Conor doesn't have power without space) and put him in a position Conor felt uncomfortable with. Floyd did his homework. He knew Conor is very uncomfortable with his opponent in his face so he just walked Conor dow. Conor NEEDS space or he can't generate any power due to his poor punching form

You really thought Conor would be able to "bait" freaking Floyd in a boxing ring?

You seriously think Mayweather would fall for that? Too smart of a boxer. He would adapt and win regardless of what Conor's gameplan was.

No MMA fighter can box.

That's the challenge with MMA; there are too many disciplines to try and master.

Exactly the reason that 80% of MMA is just painful to watch these days.

Pride was the best fighting organisation in history, and will never be matched.

Back