Why did Fedor let Chael get back to his feet?

Spekty

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
That seemed like such a bizarre strategy to me. Chael is useless off his back, in that position he's like a fish out of water. Most of his losses came precisely from that position. Jones, Rashad, Tito, Maia all stopped him fairly quickly and effortlessly when he was lying on his back. I also believe Babalu dominated him in that position but I might be wrong about that assumption (I don't remember all intricacies of that fight). But it doesn't change the fact that Chael has good top control on the ground but folds and gives up quickly when he is on the bottom. His guard is not dangerous at all. Yet Fedor was letting him back to his feet after each knockdown or takedown instead of laying GNP on him. He was hesitant to go to the ground as if Chael was Werdum, Oleinik or Vinny Magalhaes (guys who have dangerous guards), I didn't understand that gameplan at all.

He was having success with super ultra fast cracking Chael in the face solidly, so he probably wanted to do more of that.

Fedor changed after three losses in a row.

Werdum tapped him.
Big Foot Crushed him in side mount
Hendo swept him and knocked him out

He didnt want to blow his wad. After flooring Sonnen in the first 4 seconds Fedor knew he could level him again and again.

Fedor has had lingering back and knee issues I think he knew standing chael had nothing for him and in the ground cheal was more dangerous it was reading the fight as it played out.

He had a game plan for the first time in like 12 years?

He was hitting Chael with Russian hammers.

That was a bizarre strategy, not gonna lie, I was screaming at the TV telling him to jump on Sonnen lol but Im guessing Fedor's gas tank tonight was pretty shit so he didnt wana risk an adrenaline dump, idk.

Might have thought Chael could present a danger in a scramble or a sweep. Same thing happened with Bigfoot. Bigfoot is worthless off his back and presents no danger. He just eats punches. Fedor was on top and could have GnP'd him into eternity but went for a sub instead and lost position. Oh well, no one is perfect. Even Fedor will make a few mistakes in 20 years of fighting. If Fedor had jumped on top and got swept people would say why didn't Fedor let Chael stand back up after dropping him so easily.

Might have thought Chael could present a danger in a scramble or a sweep. Same thing happened with Bigfoot. Bigfoot is worthless off his back and presents no danger. He just eats punches. Fedor was on top and could have GnP'd him into eternity but went for a sub instead and lost position. Oh well, no one is perfect. Even Fedor will make a few mistakes in 20 years of fighting. If Fedor had jumped on top and got swept people would say why didn't Fedor let Chael stand back up after dropping him so easily.
Let’s have Bigfoot vs Fedor now with NO TRT exemption. Bigfoot would get Zulu’d.

Nevermind that, I need a gif of Chael trying to roll Fedor over when he had his back..most wtf, inexplicable thing he's ever done next to the backfist attempt on Silva

j8yvk8.gif

Fedor standing up was obvious - he wanted to KHTFO

So many fighters let guys recover by going into their guard trying to finish them.

His neck, back, knees etc... he doesn't trust his body in grappling situations anymore. As long as he gets it done

I love Fedor man - always have

But it's like he lost his passion or something and doesn't enjoy fighting … but why does he fight?

He comes in and tries to win as fast as possible with sloppy brawling. He became a head hunter. Just wanting to end it and get out
;9
Gone is calm cool collected patient fedor

I had the exact same question during the fight. Sonnen is not known for having a dangerous guard and Fedor has good ground & pound. By letting Chael get back to his feet, he was giving away an advantageous position and exposing himself to get taken down and put on his back (which happened during the fight). When you add the fact that the fight ended via ground & pound, it is even more difficult to understand.

I think Fedor just does not believe in game plans anymore. He just wants to stand and bang with whoever is in front of him.

Fedor wanted to knock him out.

He never goes to the ground anymore after Werdum.

Back