Why DC Has a Fantastic Chance to Win.

I agree for the most part, except that Jones is a harder fight than Stipe. Stipe isn't as creative as Jones, but he has far better boxing, he's bigger and stronger, and he fights better in the clinch and in the pocket compared to Jones.

1. No, DC has not faced an opponent similar to Stipe. Using Bigfoot as a comparison is pure nonsense. Bigfoot was slow as molasses and never had good boxing, so his height and length advantage was moot. Stipe, on the other hand, is one of the more athletic HWs in MMA and might be the best boxer in the division.

2. Not sure why you think DC will be Stipe's "toughest opponent." While DC had a good run at HW, he left the division before he ever fought a top 5 opponent. Meanwhile, Stipe has been the HW champion for a couple years. It seems like you're just making inferences to support your conclusion.

3. Again, not sure why you think Jones is a tougher opponent for DC than Stipe. Stipe is bigger than Jones and has much better boxing.

4. To answer your question regarding strategy, I think Stipe's strategy will be to keep it standing and use his reach to batter DC from the outside. I think DC's ideal best strategy will be to grind on Stipe in the clinch. Although DC would probably want to take it to the ground, Stipe should have good enough wrestling to keep it standing for the most part; and to get back up if he's taken down. DC absolutely needs to close the distance on the longer Stipe, so clinching against the cage will likely be his best bet.

Stipe by TKO round 2.

2. Not sure why you think DC will be Stipe's "toughest opponent." While DC had a good run at HW, he left the division before he ever fought a top 5 opponent. Meanwhile, Stipe has been the HW champion for a couple years. It seems like you're just making inferences to support your conclusion.

3. Again, not sure why you think Jones is a tougher opponent for DC than Stipe. Stipe is bigger than Jones and has much better boxing.

Stipe by TKO round 2.
2. Because DC is an all time great who has only been beaten by THE all time great. I was basing this off of DC's performance at LHW, not his long gone HW days. We haven't seen DC fight without a brutal weight cut for quite some time now. Who do you think was a tougher opponent? I could totally see Werdum being the tougher matchup for Stipe.
3. We just disagree on this, it's no big deal. There is more to fighting than just boxing. While Stipe is bigger than Jones... DC will be bigger vs. Stipe than he was vs. Jones... I think they are comparable opponents but I give the slight edge to Jones.
Idk what you mean by "making inferences to support your conclusion". I never said I was picking DC, I was just remarking that DC has beaten men of Stipe's size before and think he should be given more of a chance than many are giving him (which is zero)

Werdum was champ at like 38 or 39, I suppose Overeem is a poor example, but he did drop Stipe if I remember correctly. DC is a much smarter fighter than both of them, I can't imagine he would run after Stipe with his chin up like Werdum. Wrestling doesn't take quite the toll on your body (and certainly not your chin) that MMA does. I just meant that it isn't rare for HW's to be fighting their best at 38+. I'm also acknowledging that DC is the underdog, but I feel he has been disrespected by most on the boards... he definitely has a chance to win this one IMO
You're just all over the place with the points you're trying to make.

You say Stipe is getting old himself, then say 38+ is fine for HWs.

You mention Werdum and Overeem being good at HW at advanced age, even though Stipe knocked both out in the 1st.

You compare Stipe to Bigfoot, even though Bigfoot was never anywhere near Stipe's level.

Yeah, of course DC has a chance, he's a beast. But not because of the reasons you're putting forth.

You're just all over the place with the points you're trying to make.

You say Stipe is getting old himself, then say 38+ is fine for HWs.

You mention Werdum and Overeem being good at HW at advanced age, even though Stipe knocked both out in the 1st.

You compare Stipe to Bigfoot, even though Bigfoot was never anywhere near Stipe's level.

Yeah, of course DC has a chance, he's a beast. But not because of the reasons you're putting forth.
Dude, I said in the post that "Stipe is a better fighter than Bigfoot". I stated that DC has "fought and beaten men with similar measurements to Stipe" - the whole thread was about the size advantages/disadvantages. Never once did I say Bigfoot was anywhere near Stipe's level.
I was not using Stipe's age as a knock against him. The poster I quoted was using DC's age as a knock against him and I was trying to say that it is not unusual for a HW to be very good in his late 30s. I was using Stipe as an example of a great fighter who isn't exactly a young dude anymore. I can see why that confused you though, That's my fault for not being clear.
Sorry for not having my thoughts all together, I'm getting killed on this thread just trying to keep up.

Last edited:
I said in my post that Bigfoot is no Stipe, but Bigfoot was definitely an above average fighter when they fought. He had beaten Arlovski and Fedor in 2 of his 3 fights before he fought DC. The point is that DC has fought guys that are the size of Stipe before, and while Stipe will definitely be tougher than Bigfoot, DC can draw on experience to help him in this fight. 8 rounds with jones don't hurt either. I'd just like to give him a little more love than he's been getting leading up to this match.

just because stipe and big foot are the same size, that doesnt mean anything. its the skills that matter the most. Stipes boxing is light years ahead. The fact that you even compared them means you dont understand boxing.
there are a billion instances where fighters have won against a fighter of a certain size, AND loss to a fighter of that same size.

A-Level Wrestling... going to be interesting.

DC is a better fighter than he was back then. Age is the only thing that has changed for the worse, and it's just a number. Stipe is no spring chicken, neither was Werdum or Overeem.

I think he has a good chance of beating him but DC getting KO'd by JJ is not something to take lightly. You don't just get over something like that and it takes many fights to regain your confidence.

2. Because DC is an all time great who has only been beaten by THE all time great. I was basing this off of DC's performance at LHW, not his long gone HW days. We haven't seen DC fight without a brutal weight cut for quite some time now. Who do you think was a tougher opponent? I could totally see Werdum being the tougher matchup for Stipe.
3. We just disagree on this, it's no big deal. There is more to fighting than just boxing. While Stipe is bigger than Jones... DC will be bigger vs. Stipe than he was vs. Jones... I think they are comparable opponents but I give the slight edge to Jones.
Idk what you mean by "making inferences to support your conclusion". I never said I was picking DC, I was just remarking that DC has beaten men of Stipe's size before and think he should be given more of a chance than many are giving him (which is zero)
2. If you are strictly going off of DC's performance at LHW, I don't know how you can conclude that DC would be Stipe's toughest opponent. At LHW, DC's best wins are a razor close decision over Gus and the first fight over Rumble. These are certainly quality wins at LHW, but they don't suggest that DC will be a tougher challenge than guys like Werdum, Overeem, JDS, Francis, etc. By way of comparison, how do you think Gus would do against those guys? In my opinion, not well. And Stipe didn't just narrowly beat those guys; he's finished or dominated every opponent for over three years now.

3. Sure, there is more to MMA than just boxing. But if we're talking about the best style to beat DC, the obvious answer is that a fighter needs to defend takedowns and outstrike DC. Stipe and Jones both have the wrestling to keep it standing, so we're really talking about who has the better striking. In my opinion, Stipe clearly has better striking than Jones, and he's bigger and hits much harder as well.

I like DC and I give him a ton of respect for taking on this challenge. But from a stylistic standpoint, I think Stipe is the worst matchup for DC at HW. If someone else were the current HW champion, I'd give DC a much better shot. But against Stipe, I think DC is a substantial underdog. Can he win? Sure. At the very least, he has the puncher's chance. But outside of that, I think it's an uphill battle for DC.

Back