Why Danaher doesn't compete

Some people don't have an interest in competing. They don't feel the need to go into a tournament to prove something.

John stated that he start BJJ while he was in graduate school. He probably had bigger things in life going on at the time. By the time he was done school he would have been into his 30's and lost any sort of urge to compete.

I have seen interviews with well respected BJJ guys who have all said John is legit.

Just out of curiosity, what do teachers who compete teach their students that a non competitive teacher can not?

If someone needs first hand advice about coping with competitive nerves, they can ask another member of the coaching staff. It's not as if Danaher is the only coach his students will work with. Even other students with experience can give useful tips on competition anxiety.

I'd rather have someone with high technical acumen and no competitive experience in my corner than a well-travelled competitor with limited technical coaching skills or intellect. It's no use shouting to me "I've been there, buddy! I know how you feel!" when I'm in a shit situation and need instruction on getting out.

Truth!! It is supremely frustrating watching TUF and seeing a big name fighter as the coach shouting at his team member to

"Improve position. Improve position. You gotta improve position. Improve position now, improve position. You gotta improve position, improve position"

as the guy is getting dominated and slammed in the head.

I think it was Rampage Jackson who was doing that actually. He has tons of competition experience, but he sucked as a coach. Most of the UFC fighters tend to suck - or at least as a cornerman anyway.

Last edited:
I liked that movie. I think I was the only one though.

I liked it but they injected a bit too much melodrama in the second half or so and ruined it IMO. Overall I'm not upset I bought it, but I feel like they dropped the ball on how much potential it had. Also that black guy (I can't type his name to save my life) is, in my opinion, a good actor and worthy of more love from hollywood.

re: Danaher, why do people care if he competes or not? He's good at doing BJJ, teaching BJJ and also very important here...he's a native english speaker and highly intelligent/articulate. I'd rather study under a well-regarded BB who speaks crisp english than a Roger level world champion if I can't understand him.

how to compete

I'm pretty sure anyone who's blue or higher is capable of grasping the nuances of competition on their own. This sport isn't insanely complicated. We have a scoring system and a time limit, you can manage both to a victory if you're semi-cognizant of the current state of both after you do it a few times. The coach's biggest contributions to competition are "do this", secondary to that but also important "there is X time left". John Donaher* would most likely be able to perceive the ideal technique at any given time AND I'm sure the man can read a clock.

*I've been cornered by a purple belt who knew my tendencies to success in NAGA's intermediate bracket, I'm pretty sure JD's knowledge advantage would translate upwards as he corners guys at the world stage.

EDIT: I think competitiveness is a personality trait and some people have an affinity to it while some have an aversion and it is largely due to who they are as a person. I consider myself competitive, but not vehemently so. In other words you can't teach someone to be competitive, you can only facilitate their innate competitiveness by making them better at their endeavor.

Last edited:
Its hard for competitive people to comprehend, but some people just aren't interested in competition with other people. I have a buddy who played sports all his life and in college and isn't interested in them anymore. He figures he got all the competitive drive out of his system.

I think this is what people can't wrap their heads around. You have to realize that aside from being an expert martial artist and trainer, he's also an intellectual with a graduate degree in philosophy. His perspective on most things is probably different from the majority of people (not better or worse, but different). It's not hard for me to believe that competition just doesn't interest him and he doesn't care what people think about that. People like that are sometimes brilliant at their chosen field, but sort of have their head in the clouds and live in their own world to some extent. They're brilliant and fascinating people, but can be puzzling and hard to understand. And everyone I know who's met John seems to have that view of him. He's an expert instructor, but also looks at things differently.

how to compete

What specifically do they teach about how to compete?

Is it:

-loosen your hands and forearms up between matches to refresh your grips?
-think positive, have a gameplan?
-bring flip flops so you don't have to keep on taking your shoes on and off whenever you step on and off the mat, or go to the bathroom?
-how to register and what divisions to do?
-how to cut weight?

I think that most of that type of stuff is pretty easy to pick up for anyone (and a lot of people compete just fine without worrying at all about most stuff like that). I've seen family members of competitors who don't even train who can perform most functions of that nature.

When I watch coaches coaching before and during the matches, I usually see them giving either technical information, such as "your opponent is good at leglocks, hide your legs", or generic mental coaching such as "you are going to win this match, you want it, you trained hard for it" or "don't stress out, stay calm, breathe". During the matches, a lot of coaches seem to again focus on either technical advice "grab his leg, sweep!", psyching the competitor up "move move move!", being aware of the other guy "he's getting tired, keep passing!" or time keeping/score keeping. Again, I think all of these functions can be performed by someone who doesn't compete.

Is it motivational? Do the students want a competition hero to lead them through their matches at Grapplers Quest? I can see that. I think a lot of people get confidence from knowing that they come from a competitively successful team/instructor. This is common to all martial arts; "My teacher learned from Bruce Lee himself, so you know he can fight", or "My teachers teacher is a 5x World and Pan am champ, so I'm learning from a student of the best!"

Honestly, I go back and forth on this subject, especially as it pertains to creating a competitive school and taking people from beginner all the way to the highest levels of competition. I think for beginner and mid level competition, a decent instructor with or without competition experience will work fine. I think to develop a powerhouse competition team with guys that are winning at the highest level; I am less sure. I think that there are enough competitors at the highest level that come from instructors who haven't won much competitively to say that it is possible to develop strong competitors without having competition experience. I think the stars have a align well and the instructor has to be really exceptional at putting together the best resources for his athlete for this to happen.

I'm pretty sure anyone who's blue or higher is capable of grasping the nuances of competition on their own. This sport isn't insanely complicated. We have a scoring system and a time limit, you can manage both to a victory if you're semi-cognizant of the current state of both after you do it a few times. The coach's biggest contributions to competition are "do this", secondary to that but also important "there is X time left". John Donaher* would most likely be able to perceive the ideal technique at any given time AND I'm sure the man can read a clock.

*I've been cornered by a purple belt who knew my tendencies to success in NAGA's intermediate bracket, I'm pretty sure JD's knowledge advantage would translate upwards as he corners guys at the world stage.

EDIT: I think competitiveness is a personality trait and some people have an affinity to it while some have an aversion and it is largely due to who they are as a person. I consider myself competitive, but not vehemently so. In other words you can't teach someone to be competitive, you can only facilitate their innate competitiveness by making them better at their endeavor.

You bring up a good point in mentioning the purple belt who was coaching you. I think that it's important for a coach, if they are to be a regular coach to someone, to know the person that they are coaching well on mental, technical and physical levels. My two favorite coaches are my brother, Drew, and my instructor, Rick. Not because of either of their competitive experience, but because they know exactly what to say to me and when to say it.

LOL! You hit it out of the ballpark with this answer. What exactly do I need to know to learn how to compete?

Im not a coach, so I dont feel comfortable in aiding you in thirst for knowledge of how to compete. Since its very under appreciated here, I guess no one needs a coach, right?

Im not a coach, so I dont feel comfortable in aiding you in thirst for knowledge of how to compete. Since its very under appreciated here, I guess no one needs a coach, right?

The only time I would ever need a coach is for them to tell me how much time is left and if I'm ahead or not and that can be accomplished by any teammate. You should already have a game plan going in to any competition.

Seems to me like John Danaher is the Harvey Penick of BJJ.

EDIT: Has anyone read "Harvey Penick's Little Red Book". Harvey was a famous golf teacher who had an extensive knowledge of the game and coached many world champions although he himself was never that competitive.

You guys are speaking as though he isn't an awesome practitioner of jiu-jitsu, just a coach. I have firsthand experience speaking with several black belts who all have said the same thing - in the last five or so years, they have NEVER seen him even in danger when rolling with other black belts - and we're talking top of the food chain black belts.

The only time I would ever need a coach is for them to tell me how much time is left and if I'm ahead or not and that can be accomplished by any teammate. You should already have a game plan going in to any competition.

I guess youre on a higher level than every other competitor in the world. I guess Romulo was a fool to have draculino coaching him at worlds...

Seems to me like John Danaher is the Harvey Penick of BJJ.

EDIT: Has anyone read "Harvey Penick's Little Red Book". Harvey was a famous golf teacher who had an extensive knowledge of the game and coached many world champions although he himself was never that competitive.

I read Harvey Penick's book and have a copy of it on my coffee table. It's an extremely overrated book as an instructional aide but an interesting read.

Does anyone know if Joe Rogan has competed already? Or Jason Statham?

Last edited:
Back