Why Danaher doesn't compete

The only problem is that as an instructor, it's upon Danaher to be able to relate concepts to his students. In order to do this as well as possible, it's also necessary to know your student and how they think/ work. At the very least, having some competition experience would give Danaher the knowledge of what competing is like. Put himself in his student's shoes.

Not to say that he isn't a fantastic coach, but personally I think that any teacher should have 1st hand experience in their field.

Although I think it is a good ideal for a coach to have at least competed some in his respective sport, it is by no means necessary for them to be a great coach. There are numerous great coaches who never competed. The results of his students is a better testament to his ability as a coach than his own success or lack of success in competition.

Just a question for those that study and practice martial arts.........

Does it help you to evolve in a martial art and really master that martial art when you test yourself against other challengers? My thinking is that he can really master the art if he tests his knowledge and skill against other expert practitioners. I don't know. What do you think?

The only problem is that as an instructor, it's upon Danaher to be able to relate concepts to his students. In order to do this as well as possible, it's also necessary to know your student and how they think/ work. At the very least, having some competition experience would give Danaher the knowledge of what competing is like. Put himself in his student's shoes.

Not to say that he isn't a fantastic coach, but personally I think that any teacher should have 1st hand experience in their field.

If someone needs first hand advice about coping with competitive nerves, they can ask another member of the coaching staff. It's not as if Danaher is the only coach his students will work with. Even other students with experience can give useful tips on competition anxiety.

I'd rather have someone with high technical acumen and no competitive experience in my corner than a well-travelled competitor with limited technical coaching skills or intellect. It's no use shouting to me "I've been there, buddy! I know how you feel!" when I'm in a shit situation and need instruction on getting out.

Does it help you to evolve in a martial art and really master that martial art when you test yourself against other challengers? My thinking is that he can really master the art if he tests his knowledge and skill against other expert practitioners. I don't know. What do you think?

I think it s certainly important to developing skill that one tests oneself against people that are your level and higher. I do not think that competition is the only, or even the best way for everyone to test themselves and improve.

I think a lot of the forum whores forget that there is a front page to sherdog.

Just to avoid any third party rumours, when he TALKS ABOUT IT IN THE INTERVIEW ON THE FRONT PAGE OF SHERDOG he says he has a "rather long history of knee dislocations" apparently he has a "misshaped patella" in his "left leg, which means [his] leg has dislocated many many times throughout [his] childhood".

He went through an operation in the days before arthroscopic surgery, which he described as being rather tragic and left him with arthrofibrosis.

Thank you. I'm glad someone else knows how to use the resources available.

A few words if I may...

1. No one was absolutely enraged over that thread. But posters like you with no reading comprehension took it that way. It was more of a "pfffft, this is lame."

2. I don't think the poster that straight up called John Danaher a liar is disrespectful, so much as just fucking stupid for making that assertion. Had you not pointed it out, I wouldn't have said anything, only because it is so mind blowingly retarded I would hope most people would roll their eyes and skip over it.

I think my reading comprehension is just fine.

"Absolutely enraged" was hyperbole on my part, but clearly that thread did not sit right with you. I didn't say that as an attack against you.

Of course this is necessary, but the competition setting is only one means of doing so. Remember, Renzo's Academy is enormous and a wealth a of talent trains or visits there regularly. You might not always get the same adrenaline rush as in a competition setting, but there are no shortage of talented grapplers to test yourself against.

If anything, I think that a heavy competition focus in training can hinder someone's understanding of jiu-jitsu. I know plenty of talented competitors who refuse to train outside the comfort of their "A" games in order to stay competitively sharp. That's often a necessary sacrifice to compete at the highest levels, but it doesn't necessarily lead one to become a well-rounded instructor.

Although I think it is a good ideal for a coach to have at least competed some in his respective sport, it is by no means necessary for them to be a great coach. There are numerous great coaches who never competed. The results of his students is a better testament to his ability as a coach than his own success or lack of success in competition.

Amen..

It's not the teacher, it depends on the students he has. As a student my favorable teacher is someone who flat out crushes me. I learn this way. When this person is absolutely smoking me, his point gets across to me faster than sitting and listening to him talk.

Now other people may be able to learn from the drilling and things that come out of his mouth. Maybe it was just my mentality when I was in high school wrestling, as I only respected the coaches who smoked me too. Dudes who told you what to do but couldn't do it themselves usually lost respect with my team.

It's not the teacher, it depends on the students he has. As a student my favorable teacher is someone who flat out crushes me. I learn this way. When this person is absolutely smoking me, his point gets across to me faster than sitting and listening to him talk.

Now other people may be able to learn from the drilling and things that come out of his mouth. Maybe it was just my mentality when I was in high school wrestling, as I only respected the coaches who smoked me too. Dudes who told you what to do but couldn't do it themselves usually lost respect with my team.

by some accounts he still does this

did you see the TUF segment where he was just chilling and toying with the nr1 GSP pick?

by some accounts he still does this

did you see the TUF segment where he was just chilling and toying with the nr1 GSP pick?

Nope. But he has said he has a serious knee problem so from that perspective I believe it is a major factor on not competing. He has to be smart enough to know competing can absolutely accelerate your game when you are learning what works and what doesn't.

That is the difference between BJJ and 'fake' martial arts. BJJ is not theory. You learn things and you train them hard to figure out what works. Other martial arts teach at 10% speed and tell you it will work on the streets(good luck with that)

How many guys that start training when they are almost 30 end up competing at blackbelt? Very few I would think.

This is why they have the old man divisions, haha.

what' if you're training under an olympian that is say 80 years old?

Purely conjecture, but perhaps he is just a much better teacher than practitioner; being able to impart knowledge is not necessarily the same as being able to apply the knowledge yourself. If this is the case and he was to compete and lose badly his reputation would be damaged, may as well not compete and stick to what you are best at, assisting others.

Purely conjecture, but perhaps he is just a much better teacher than practitioner; being able to impart knowledge is not necessarily the same as being able to apply the knowledge yourself. If this is the case and he was to compete and lose badly his reputation would be damaged, may as well not compete and stick to what you are best at, assisting others.

Phail.

Back