Why can't we make nonaddictive painkilllers?

I think it would be easier to come up with a good recovery program to get people off drugs, but whats the profit on that?

They have those nowadays. Usually a Suboxone program.

For today's addicts you have a variety of options to get help.

Say 5 or even 10 years ago the difference is night and day.

Brilliant. A second drug to selectively dissociate the undesirable dissociation of the first drug.

Fuck me, scientists are smart. I guess that's why the average life of an American in 2017 is 79 years of age when in the year 1900 it was 47. Pneumonia was the #1 killer. But it totally makes sense when all these anti-Vaxxers and other ignoramuses cry out, "The pharmaceutical industry is killing us! The FDA is killing us!" Piss off, caveman. Go sit in a corner and read your Mercola book.

Certainly the FDA has its problems, but it didn't exist in 1900, and it seems we were far more talented at dying without them.
i think people forget the game Oregon Trail

people literally died of diarrhea, dissentary, f'n whooping cough, basic infections, etc....

people literally shit themselves to death.....

bruh

i was more than happy to get that Antrax/Smallpox/malaria/hep vaccines before going overseas....

Hi Sherdog

I've got a question I'd like answered from a tech/medical point. I keep reading about the opoid problem in this country and I would like to know why can't we make something that is not physically addictive that still kills pain. What is the hold up. I understand their will always be a mental aspect but you'd think thy could fix the physical side of it.

I believe weed meets this criteria.

So I think the better question is why don't we treat chronic pain, with chronic?...........

I believe weed meets this criteria.

So I think the better question is why don't we treat chronic pain, with chronic?...........
With all due respect to the pro pot crowd I smoke pot once in a blue moon and I have taken morphine in the hospital. There pain relief qualities are not comparable. Pot might help with soreness. Morphine makes you forget you can see your radial bone.

Why can't we make cigarettes without nicotine?

Easy....we get the consumer addicted to nicotine and then tax it big time. Get the consumer addicted to the cigarette, get them addicted to the tax.

Same with the addictive pain killers. If we don't make them addictive, then you would buy less and less. Then, how with politicians line their coffers with money from "Big Pharm?"

With all due respect to the pro pot crowd I smoke pot once in a blue moon and I have taken morphine in the hospital. There pain relief qualities are not comparable. Pot might help with soreness. Morphine makes you forget you can see your radial bone.

Fair enough, but I would guess you had accute pain when given morphine. I would argue most chronic pain that isn't attached to a fatal condition could be treated with weed.

Back pain, knee pain, migraines, ect.

Can't stand opiates, but it's the mental fogginess and nodding off that bothered me more than any addictiveness.

I personally have been prescribed Vicodin for injuries and despite what was clearly overkill on the amount from my doctor I never noticed additiction. However it must be real it is all you read about now. Different bodies different outcomes right.

Hi Sherdog

I've got a question I'd like answered from a tech/medical point. I keep reading about the opoid problem in this country and I would like to know why can't we make something that is not physically addictive that still kills pain. What is the hold up. I understand their will always be a mental aspect but you'd think thy could fix the physical side of it.

We do have them, they just suck. Ever take flexeril or prescription grade stuff? It just sucks.

It's a scam by the pharmaceutical companies to only make addictive painkillers.

Ive took painkillers ... Norcs for 10 years..love them and hate them..I tried to do the weed thing...didn't help me at all.

The only thing that's remotely helped was yoga.

Ive took painkillers ... Norcs for 10 years..love them and hate them..I tried to do the weed thing...didn't help me at all.

The only thing that's remotely helped was yoga.

?

Nothing like a little yoga to ease the post-surgery pain of ha ing you bones drilled.

?

Nothing like a little yoga to ease the post-surgery pain of ha ing you bones drilled.
Lol..no..I didn't do yoga till years later... like seven years after accident(spiral break of femur..dirt bike)

I'd laughed my ass off had someone recommended that earlier in recovery.

My job(construction/Steel framing carpenter) has also been rough on my body...shoulder surgery(rotator torn) ...bad knee...bad back..

The yoga helps loosen the tight muscles and joints..I wouldn't say it takes pain away but does seem to help with the stiffness..

The Norcs make the pain go away..for about 3-4 hour spurts. But I'm really to the point were I have to make a decision..quit or have the surgery that kills the nerves

A non-addictive painkiller would be one that you take once, and your pain goes away for ever. Simple truth is if it is effective, then once it wears off, you're going to want to take another one. Who wants to live in chronic pain?

They have those nowadays. Usually a Suboxone program.

For today's addicts you have a variety of options to get help.

Say 5 or even 10 years ago the difference is night and day.

Here in Houston we have had a huge problem with the pain clinics/pill mills - while Tampa was the main hub for oxycontin prescriptions, Houston mirrored it with tons of pain clinics prescribing hydrocodone, carisoprodol (soma), and xanax. It was to the point where you could go to two, three clinics a day and be prescribed 120 lorcets, 90 soma, and 60 xanax as long as you had the money for the office visit and prescription. In the past few years they've tightened the restrictions on prescribing and shut-down a lot of the clinics, but they're still out there and prices for office visits - cash only, no insurance - have gone way up. A lot of the clinics operating now will prescribe Tylenol 4 for pain and still give soma, but a lot of people I know hooked on the shit have now switched to heroin or suboxone - a few who are into the "soma coma" just take the Tylenol 4's in place of the hydrocodone and these people are just lost, I don't know how many friends I've cut out of my life who choose to zombify themselves on this crap.

What gets me are the suboxone docs, this a big money-maker here now that there are so many addicts - most office visits will be @ $500 for the initial visit, they prescribe suboxone and adderall, sometimes they'll throw a benzo in for good measure - they'll tell you the adderall will give you the energy/boost the pain pills did so you can get through the day - it is a total racket.

I've been on suboxone for some time now, I love it and hate it. I got hooked on hydrocodone after injuring myself in a freak accident while prepping for a powerlfting meet in 2000 and developed severe sciatica. I hated the way hydrocodone made me feel at first but it took the pain away and after a while, the feeling switched from making me feel muddy, to euphoria and a really good boost of energy...and I fell in love with it. Fast-forward to 2011, my little brother had passed-away, I moved back to Houston, was partying a lot, and the pills were so easily obtained that my intake went WAY up, up to the point where I was taking 25 lorcets a day and I was worried about my liver due to all of the acetaminophen. The suboxone takes all of the cravings away and will get you off of pain pills, but you're going to withdrawal once you're on it and you're basically trading one addiction for another. If I could go back and do one thing, I'd never touch opiates.

I think it is akin to why we can not make a coffee or tea that is not addictive or a pain medication that does not lessen in effect with use.

The mind adjusts to outside forces and stimulus.
It's not just the mind, as many people addicted are addicted in a chemical sense, not a psychological sense (the latter tends to occur more often in abusers). In the case of opioids, there is receptor upregulation--block the receptors, and the body creates more.

As far as the original point goes, there are plenty of non-addictive pain medications for aches, neuropathic pain, and pain due to inflammation. The big issue is that most people want to be pain free and not just have pain relieved to make them more functional, and that is the big demand from patients.

There is much more that goes into chronic pain than a simple insult to tissue. There are behavioral components and centers sensitization that makes it difficult to simply block a physiological pathway. This is why some pain centers take a multi-disciplinary approach and bring in psychologists/psychiatrists to assist--though the lack of mental health coverage makes it difficult for patients to get this kind of care. Add all this to the fact that it's just not easy to localize medication to a particular area without causing other systemic problems--the same problem we see with chemotherapies. There are options such as localized steroid injections and nerve ablations that can help with peripheral and axial joint pain; but these are much less effective when it comes to combating disc pain.

Anything that hijacks the brain's dopamine reward system will become addictive. Reduction of people can easily be rewarding. If we stopped the dopamine reward system, there would be no functioning economy.

Back