Why can't I lose weight | Page 2

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Jspahn, Apr 12, 2017.

1. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Listen, everyone will respond differently. I suggest using something like MyFitnessPal to get a basic idea of what need to do, track your stuff. Exercise is a bonus.

I have patients who are VP's of industry who can't use a can-opener for themselves and some have done this. You can do it to. Just put some effort into this. You'll see. Start a log in the training section or Diet/supplement section. Be accountable.

Cool Hand Luke likes this.
  2. nhbfan8080 Black Belt

nhbfan8080
    Track your bodyfat% instead of using the scales since any muscle you gain is going to increase your bodyweight. A pair of cheap calipers to calculate skinfold for bf% should be below $10.

3. Contempt black belt in couch-fu

Contempt
    The absolute first thing that people SHOULD have asked you is: How many calories do you eat per day, what is your approximate macro breakdown and calculated energy expenditure?

If you can't answer those questions accurately then no amount of exercise is going to do shit for your weight loss.

j123 likes this.
  4. Quinton Overeem Purple Belt

Quinton Overeem
    Don't just focus on workout, try to stay active, go out, take long walks too, don't spend days or hours on the couch. Add green tea (matcha if available) to your diet if you can, and drink more water.

5. Shaungotti Black Belt

Shaungotti
    Sounds like you're doing fine to me.

You're losing almost a pound a week, which is ideal. I mean, if you put together another 6 months like this you'll probably be where you want to be.

You stuck to it for 6 months man. That's a victory in itself. Just try to remember that when you're done, you'll never have to do such a drastic cut again if you stick to some sort of routine.

6. Don Quixote Heart of a Lion

Don Quixote
    I wouldnt worry to much about what the scale says. Like someone said earlier, a tape line and a pair of calipers is the way to go. Your body probably adapted to your diet and workout, maybe try to mix up your routine, to try and throw your body off.

7. ArmandoGarcia White Belt

ArmandoGarcia
    You're already there. You lose some weight in your first journey and its a good thing to know though. I guess, you did not maintain what you just did before that's why you did not realize you are gaining weight again. I think, you should know how to count your calories and keep a food journal in order for you to track the calories you actually took in a certain meal. There's so many free apps online which you would like to visit wherein you would know how much calories you need to eat based also in your height and weight.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  8. Phisher Red Belt

Phisher
    Eat less. Exercise more.

If you have serious hunger issues, try keto. When I cut on a ketogenic diet, I don't even notice that I'm in a deficit when I'm not lifting.

9. rolly czar White Belt

rolly czar
    <45>

10. rolly czar White Belt

rolly czar
    ketegonic diet??

11. Phisher Red Belt

Phisher
  12. FutureSergant White Belt

FutureSergant
    Increase training volume if you want to lose weight faster. Dont just go to gym four times per week,go six times. Lifht more,do more cardio. Sign up for some wrestling/bjj/muay thai.. Otherwise you will lose weight but with slower pace. Your choice.

13. Emojitsu White Belt

Emojitsu
    Hi Jspahn,

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble losing weight and keeping it off. Firstly, rest assured that you are not alone and a lot of people out there have the same problems with weight management and fat loss, especially when first starting out.

You need to understand that the body functions on a "homeostasis"; basically it tries to balance out your energy and save/use depending on your lifestyle. If you haven't been very active and gained weight over 3-5 years, then 6 months is not enough to create a homeostasis shift in your body. It's not all bad news though, the body can adapt and with enough -> Consistency <- you can get any results you wish for. And that's the key: Consistency.

As for what you can do. From what I've read and believe, you are likely an endomorph with bad insulin sensitivity, so when you consume carbs (breads, rice, sugars, fruits) you retain water weight quickly and get bloated. If that's the case, then you need to "prime" your body with a Carb Cut for a period of 1-2 weeks depending on your discipline. Drink plenty of water and cut out carbs completely for 1-2 weeks to raise your insulin sensitivity and get rid of the useless water weight you gained. You will lose anywhere between 5-10 lbs in this phase. But this is NOT fat.

Now your body will be ready for a healthy, balanced diet. Combine it with 3 x 1hr cardio sessions a week and 3 x 1hr Resistance training / MMA / BJJ sessions, and you will be on your way to a better physique. Also note: You may regain 3-5 lbs when you reintroduce carbs as a result of water weight, but as long as you perform your cardio and stay consistent with food and training, over the next 3 months you WILL see a change. Just don't program hop, diet jump, or give up and you will get results.

Train the mind and the body will follow. Best of luck to you, I hope this helps out as I was in your shoes. I went from 250lbs to 175lbs in 3 years of consistency. I got lazy and put some back but at least I know how to get rid of what I gained :p

Feel free to check out my YouTube channel for more info and insight.

Cheers,
    Zeid

Fedorgasm and $uperman like this.
  14. MescalineDreams Black Belt

MescalineDreams
    cut out breads, pasta. Sugar In all forms, through drinks, candy, junk food, even cane sugar, honey , coconut sugar. Cut it all out. Use stevia Instead.

Insulin Is the enemy of fat loss. You want to be insulin sensitive. For that, you need to carefully control the carbs and sugar In all forms being processed by your body.

Eat your carbs In the form of vegetables. Eat meats, fish, eggs, nuts, greens.

Or you could do keto. I don't think It's necessary but It's a legit way to lose weight.

There's also things you can take like apple cider vinegar before every meal which greatly regulate Insulin response and promote Insulin sensitivity. Cinnamon as well Is supposed to help with this.

If you're REALLY having a hard time losing weight, even If you're seemingly doing all the right things..you might want to look into Intermittent fasting. Which is when you fast between 16-20 hours a day (including sleep) and eat all your calories within a 4-8 hour window. Probably one of the best tools I've personally witnessed and experienced for weight loss.

Specifically the time restricted / circadian rhythm method of fasting ( i.e consuming all your calories before 6pm) After a certain point of the day, the body is just shit at processing food. Particularly foods that spike Insulin. Maybe you're just eating too much late at night. Most people are and don't realize It's killing their gains.

Anyways, all that said..Weight loss Is mostly diet. Actually putting In the work and training the right shit doesn't hurt either. If you don't put In the work don't expect to see any real results.

Emojitsu likes this.
  15. rolly czar White Belt

rolly czar
    Phisher likes this.
  16. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    To OP, use a app like My Fitness Pal. I use it every time I prepare for comps and have to diet. The hardest part of it is being honest (I have it too on the cheat meals. I just tend to put in 2k in cals for that one meal on those days and hope that it's close enough). Proof is in the outcomes though. If you're not getting results but know in your heart of hearts that you haven't logged all your food, you've got no one else but yourself to blame.

17. 7even Yellow Belt

7even
    I weigh my food and ask Siri on my iPhone on how many calories it has.
    For example, I have 500 grams of chicken on the scale. I ask Siri how many calories is 500 grams of chicken. Her answer is 1116 calories. I log it in my notes, and eat up.

18. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    What changed for you?

20lbs over 6 months is a good effort. How did you regain the 20lbs in the second 6 months? Did you give up and went back to old habits?